MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/08/2012 09:08 AM

Internal MRSA

krisfg

I am looking for others to discuss internal MRSA infections. I would love to hear how you are treating it and what experiences you have. If your case is similar to ours please contact me.

My 11yr daughter complained of pain near hear left hip 2 months again. I put it off as growing pains. She then had intermittent fevers and was very tired. Finally 3 weeks ago she presented with a constant fever of 102 - 103.8 and severe fatigue. It turns out that pain in her side was a "impressive" (doctor's words) abscess in her abdomen and it was MRSA. 1 week in the hospital with Clyndamiacin and a drain. We were only home for 2 days because the abscess started to reaccumulate. In the hospital she had a reaction to the clyndamiacin and had to be switched to Linezolid. 6 days in the hospital with the Linezolid and another drain. We have been home for 3 days and the wound is reaccumulating again. We see the doctor today but I am packing for the hospital before I go.

Does anyone here have experience with internal body cavity infection, that keeps reacculmulating when it is not being drained?

10/09/2012 01:13 PM
afflicted

How long was she on each antibiotic? It takes a long time and often multiple abx at a time.

10/09/2012 02:02 PM
krisfg

She was on the clyndamiacine for over 1 week when she had a reaction to it. She has been on the linezolid for about 10 days when I found reaccumulation at the drain site. We are keeping an eye on it and waiting to see if it gets worse.

10/21/2012 01:56 PM
mitzigirl
mitzigirl  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Kris I am terribly sorry to hear about this with your daughter and her 11 it is hard enough to deal with as an adult. I have had it in my lungs and pretty much all over. At one point had an internal abcess under my left breast. Surgery a drain two two hospital stays and weeks of being on antibiotics at home by picc line it finally went away there but not full away since then have had it several other places. It takes a longtime sometimes with MRSA and it can reoccur because it colonizes not completely goes away which makes it hard. How is she doing now and did they take cultures to make sure what it is resistant too. Try to keep her immune system up by eating well and stuff that helps out with MRSA. Just wondering are they having her use bactroban ointment in her nose twice daily? That seems to help as much as anything. Hope to hear from you again I apologize for the delay in my reply. Big hugs and Blessings for you and your sweet daughter!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved