MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/24/2009 05:51 AM

Anyone have major bloating with mono???

honey158

Past two months now and it seems like the symptoms move from one thing to another. I have been really really bloated for 11 days now with lot of burping and back pain. Anyone else experience this?

09/24/2009 09:53 AM
powertool4

Yes! I have had severe bloating at the "about 2 month" marker. It was fine and regular before then. And i constantly thought it was things I was eating, or the anxiety (which could be partially true actually) but now that much of the anxiety has subsided, it doesnt add up.

Did your mono start with the traditional symptoms of fever, sore throat etc? I have just recently learned mine was reactivated and it likely from a blown immune system. For me, THAT would be the problem, not the EBV. the EBV will be taken care of as long as I address why the immune system is down. And so far I have many theories and tests going on for nutritional deficiency and candida, bacterial overgrowth in intestines, etc. Did you have any or some gut issues in the past?

For me it has come and gone for months on and off, for about 3-4 years. 70-80% of your immune system, and your nutritional absorption is in yout gut and you can see why someone gets sick if their gut (primary line of defense) is damaged. Possible that that caused the EBV to come back (in my case).

Post edited by: powertool4, at: 09/24/2009 09:55 AM

09/24/2009 06:12 PM
honey158

For me I haven't have any of the traditional symptoms. It started with weird shakiness (like I had to eat more but it wouldn't resolve the feeling), then came the fatigue, then a week or so later was the lack of appetite and interest in food and rapid heart rate. Food interest came back a week later but the heart symptoms stayed on. Then when they let up a bit in came the bloat! I did have some unexplained bloat about a year or so ago and it has only happened a few times since, but now its bad. I figured this might be related to the mono. It certainly has affected me in weird ways. I also get dizzy upon standing which seems to be made much worse with the mono. It does seem to take the problems that may have been lingering in the background and make the symptoms way worse.

09/24/2009 08:25 PM
powertool4

The EBV titers in the blood tests are usually brushed off my physicians as "just mono" but you have to understand that when your body's immune system gets lowered, the virus is no longer in check and starts to replicate again. Hence the higher numbers. Usually the symptoms of contracting mono initially are sore throat, fever, fatigue, etc. but for me (and it sounds like for you as well) that was not the case. 95% of adults have the EBV virus meaning if the levels are high and you do not have the initial sickness symptoms, chances are youve had EBV a long time ago and it is just starting to resurface from a different reason. I'm not saying that's the sole reason here, but it sounds likely. For me, ive had chronic fatigue and gut issues in the past and the recent EBV situation from 2 months ago is just smoke in the mirrors. The heart arrhythmia, POTS (beating really fast while standing), fatigue, brain fog, dizziness in the head, etc. are all secondary signs that the EBV virus might be attacking a weakened immune system.

But dont worry it is a battle and its reassuring to see people on this forum that have had the symptoms go away and return to a normal life.

What i suggest is .. if you have a Whole Foods market store near you, to order this raw organic active multivitamin called "vitamin Code" by Garden of Life. You can see the website i think its www.rawvitamins.com That has helped me the most, along with magnesium more than anything.

09/25/2009 08:06 AM
honey158

thanks for the advice on the vitamins. i will get some. i have been trying echinesea (sp?) which seems to be helping a bit with the energy. if a dr. runs an EBV titer test will it tell how far along i am into getting rid of the virus? what does it tell vs. the mono spot test? how long did your bloating last at any given time? are you male/female? along with this bloating, i am having ovary pain and a lot of back pain and a feeling of my bladder being stretched in the morning when i wake up and it is full.

10/07/2009 05:57 PM
honey158

Powertool..... how long did your bloating last at any given time? I am going on 24 days now with non-stop bloat and getting concerned.

10/09/2009 02:55 PM
Dave78

Hey, I have been feeling bloated lately aswell. I took a body composition analysis test and it said I had over 11 lbs of water retention in my body. They relate that to toxins in your system that your liver can't process. So it gets backed up, your lymphatic system gets backed up and the toxins congregate at the lymphatic centers is what I was told.. around fat cells. Then water is released from the fat cell to neutralize the acid found in the toxin congregation around the fat cell.. So, they said I should try a detox to clear my system. I am going to run it by my rheumologist to see if she agrees but I dont' think I mild detox would hurt. But, toxins in my system I don't think is the problem. I think it is more related to mono for sure. Do you guys have a problem with your liver swelling during the day at random. Probably 10-20 times per day I can feel my liver swollen during the day. Do you guys get that? Also what does EBV titers tell you. If they are high does it mean the virus is somewhat activated and replicating more in your system..So your likely to feel tired from your immune system gearing up again?? thanks.

10/10/2009 03:33 AM
honey158

hi, by detox diet, are they suggesting that you don't eat at all? Did they say how to do it? I am wondering if the bloat is from celiac diesease brought on by mono (was reading that both celiac and ibs can be brought on by mono...along with a long list of other things unfortunately). even P.O.T.S. causes bloat and other digestion issues - have you had a high heart rate with mono? My liver never swelled and I just took a liver and kidney function test which turned out ok. So far for me I have had blood tests (CBC and CMP) which have turned out all with good numbers, a CAT scan of my belly and pelvis (both ok) and still have the bloat. I am on day 25 of being bloated and without it going down and I am going to try a gluten free diet for a few days (I have a celiac blood test into the doctor but don't have the results back yet and I am sick of waiting so I am taking matters in my own hands!). So hopefully the gluten free diet works. The doctor has also done the EBV titer test and I am waiting for the results (she told me the test determines whether you had mono in the recent past or if its an old infection, but I am sure it tells you other stuff but I am not sure what - I think it does tell you whether the virus is still active). What kind of doctor gave you the composition analysis test?

Michelle

10/10/2009 01:30 PM
Dave78

Hi. Yeah, the program that they wanted me to follow was taking pills 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening for 1 month. Then I would move to another pill for another month (x2 per day) and then a third for another month. Due to how much water I was retaining they wanted me to repeat that for a total of 6 months. Yeah, I went on a week long cruise and the fitness instructor talked about detoxification and offered the test. So, I don't quite know where to get the tests. The instructor and I did talk about my diet extensively and we really didn't change anything. I eat alot of salads, fruit, vegetables and some red meats. I stay away from stimulants, coffee and such. But, she said I had a healthy diet and didn't need to change too much. She mentioned she wanted me to eat less red meat and such but I need that for my immune system. Plus it makes me feel better. So. But I have the ingredients of the pills and there are alot herbs. I will try and scan the paper in when I get to a scanner. Which will be in about 4 days.. sorry. And then there is a chart of foods that they wanted me to eat. All the foods are high alkaline foods. She mentioned adding limes and lemons in your drinks will help. I think lemons and limes are slightly acidic but mentioned they release an enzyme in your stomach for an alkalizing affect. Hmm, here is an o.k. article on it.. sorry about the religious innuendo in there. http://www.infowest.com/business/g/gentle/lemon.html

Actually the pills are produced by the Elemis corp. It is a spa company so that makes me wonder if the detox is credible. But, on amazon they sell the bottles individually..

1st month.. x2 per day of each..Deep Drainage... Cal Metab Plus.

2nd month..X2 per day.. Silhouette

3rd month. x2 pd was the vitality.

You can read the ingredients from there i think.

The detox might help ya know. I am thinking of buying the detox bottle at costco for 20 bucks and just take two sips of that per day. And then just continue with my usual diet. Would be the cheapest thing for me to do. So, but i think it is about tipping the scale more towards being more alkaline and retaining less water. It was more for a weight loss program on the cruise but I only care about having my body feel normal. I am willing to try anything now. Every little bit helps is the way i see it. I hope some of this helps?? thanks.

10/10/2009 01:41 PM
Dave78

yeah, about my heart beat. It used to beat really fast especially when I was really sick. but, my cardiovascular system was sooo weak that anything i did would just make me tired. But, i don't know. But, now my heart beat has been really slow. I went to a doc and she took my pulse and asked me if I felt light headed or dizzy when I walked. I don't.. but, my pulse now stays pretty low now. But, my heart beat has become lower over time.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved