MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/20/2010 02:48 PM

Can a vaginal ultrasound cause a miscarriage?

livn4jc4evr
livn4jc4evr  

Hello, I had a miscarriage 2 weeks ago at 14 weeks. I called the doctor at 9am in the morning and told the nurse I was spotting? I asked her if I should be concerned. She said you should only be concerned if you having horrific cramping as well. At that time the stomach pain was minimal.

Later on that night around 8pm the stomach pain started worsening. I waiting thinking it would get better. However by 12:30am I could not longer take the pain I was doubled over. I called the doctor and she said don't worry that's "NORMAL" just take some Tylenol and come see us in the morning if the pain persist. 30 minutes later I had an horrific explosion of bleeding.

Once I got to the hospital they said that they would have to give me a vaginal ultrasound so they could find out what was going on. When I got to the ultrasound room I was having a lot of pain and contractions. I was still bleeding badly. By this time I was screaming and crying because of the immense pain. We could tell the ultrasound tech was nervous because of my state. At first he preformed a ultrasound on top of the stomach which did not show anything. Once he completed the ultra sound he said he would now have to preform the vaginal ultra sound. Then because of how much pain I was in he said he thought I should give myself my own vaginal ultrasound. I said "NO you should just do your job."

I had had previous ultrasounds and the ultrasound wand was straight. This wand looked like to balls joined together at the end. It was a lot larger than the ones in the past. Once he inserted the wand I felt as if I was dying because the pain was so horrific. The tech proceeded in pushing the wand with great force into all corners of the vagina causing extreme worsening in pain. Once the ultrasound was finally done they cam back with results stating there was no baby found. About 30 minutes later I felt the baby come out.

My question is have you ever heard of a vaginal ultrasound resulting in the miscarriage of a baby? My thought is due to all the blood the baby was already dead. However my husband is under suspicion that if the baby was not dead that the way the ultrasound was preformed it would have surly killed the baby.

I am going to a new OBGYN on Monday and I will also be consulting with her if that could be a possibility.

Thank you.

Amber

08/20/2010 02:58 PM
LizbethJeanmarie
LizbethJeanmarie  

Ive wondered the same thing

08/20/2010 03:07 PM
kh813
kh813Posts: 92

I don't think so, but I do know that a vaginal ultrasound caused me much more discomfort during my miscarriages than during normal checkups or pregnancies. Even when Kasey and Nathanael were doing fine, the vaginal ultrasound was more uncomfortable.

08/21/2010 09:10 AM
Snowi
Snowi  

i asked and was told no. i am so very sorry u lost your baby. take care.

08/25/2010 08:27 AM
Snowi
Snowi  

hi, how did your appt. go? what did u find out?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved