MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/06/2008 12:38 PM

just found this site

tacticleness
tacticlenessPosts: 8

hi i have suffered with migrians for as long as i can remember but since i turned 40 they started to come more often every month iwas told this is because they are linked to hormones they always start at the front left hand side of my head and if i dont take a strong pain killer then

spreed to the back of my head, for the last 2 years i have been taking sanomigrian 1 every night before bed and they help but as i take care of my husband full time i dont always get a full nights sleep and this can bring on an attack . is there any other tablet or treatment i could try ?Smile

11/06/2008 12:45 PM
Moonfaery
Moonfaery  

tact, i can relate to you. I take imitrex inj. for my migraines and mepergan for the pain and nausea. do you take a preventive. there are several out there. i am on nortriptyline and have had a little relief from almost daily headaches. they are not so bad. but i have 3-4 severe ones a month. DHE is good for migraines too. that is all that will get rid of mine when they are bad. was in hosp. last month for 2 days on DHE. went home headache free for about 3 days. have appt with neuro tomorrow and going to ask if i can do the inj at home. do you have a neuro? if so talk the them. there are several things u can take everyday to try to prevent them and lots for when they come on anyways. hope i have helped. If u have any ?'s dont hesitate to ask me. I have been on them all.

moonfaery

p.s. welcome to the group

11/06/2008 12:49 PM
KariJo
KariJo  

I tried the DHE injections with a reglan chaser for nausea and it didn't work as good as it did in the hospital. I too was in the hospital twice for a week at a time trying to work on the migraines....UGH. If your neuro will let you try the DHE at home it is worth a shot....okay, no pun intended Smile

11/06/2008 12:53 PM
Moonfaery
Moonfaery  

lol kari

sorry it didnt work for you. i have never had it at home just at hospital and at the infusion center at neuro's so not sure how will do at home. i have my fingers crossed tho. and i like the pun Smile

11/06/2008 02:20 PM
tacticleness
tacticlenessPosts: 8

i was on tramil for a while to but my dr took me of them cuase there addictive Sad no i have only been admitted once to hospital my dr treats me him self he s been out on several occassion to inject me that was great relif, he s always telling i have a great pain thresh hold Grin if only lucky my husband has lived with me long enough to no the signs but it can be hard as i am caring for him 24/7 so if i get an attack i have to ask one of the kids to do things for him he dos nt trust strangers

11/06/2008 02:30 PM
Moonfaery
Moonfaery  

sounds like you have alot of stress with taking care of your husband 24/7. that cant help with the migraines. ive found imitrex inj(not pills they made my chest hurt too bad) to work pretty good for the ones that arent "whoppers". My neuro has me on mepergan(demerol and phenergan)for the bad ones.they help somewhat but it is miserable to have to take care of someone when all you want to do is curl up in a ball in a dark quiet room. Ive worked thru quite a few bad ones and thought i was gonna die(i work in ems and the sirens and lights about kill me). its good your kids are there to help.are u on a preventive right now or just for when u have an attack?

11/07/2008 06:09 PM
hurtallover
hurtallover  

Hi and welcome to the group--there are so many different meds to try, you should contact your Dr and see what you can work out. I have a strange type of migraine called Hemiplegic, so I take Topamax, and can't take things like Imitrex ect. Many people do have a lot of success with them. I think--and it is my personal opinion that lack of sleep does contribute to my migraine problems and the number that I nave. I don't know in your situation with you husband and being his caretaker what can be done to help you with this. Maybe a home health service, neighbor, family member could give you even a evening off once per week or something? I also have a special needs child that can not eat by mouth and is fed by a tube/feeding pump over night, and several times throughout the day as he can not eat solid food. He also requires constant supervision by an adult. While I realize our situations are quite different, I do know where you are "coming from". I know that the stress is also a factor for me, even though I say I am not stressed out Smile Best wishes to you and please let us know how things are going for you. I hope you start to feel better very soon.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved