MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/24/2009 08:04 AM

Hi, I'm Michele(page 2)

Kat5150
Kat5150  

Cali, you are so funny. Smile

I can really relate to what you said about not having a choice now. I used to be able to out-drink anyone I knew (not that this is a good thing; just a fact). I didn't get drunk, but being raised by alcoholics, well, I just had a very high tolerance. Now it doesn't even sound good. One drink gives me a wicked migraine. The funny thing is that I'm off of almost everything now. Yet I still don't have much interest in anything alcohol. That's probably a good thing. I'm sure my liver is pretty worn out. Wink

It is interesting how doctors react to what other doctors do. My new doctor was clearly horrified at my list of meds--even though I told him I wasn't taking them any more. If they don't help why take them? He would help me in any way to get off the pain meds. He just kept wigging out on me because I even had it. So I am figuring it out on my own. Which is not fun! That's why I haven't been on much. Swamped with work and feeling like yuck. Just stepped down a bit on my dose again so I will probably be sick today and tomorrow. I expect to be totally off it in another 2-3 weeks.

What gets me is the reactions. I didn't get these meds off the street. They were prescribed! I took them as I was told to. I've never abused them. So where does he get off treating me like that? Where does anyone else feel it is there place to judge? These people who think they are so high and mighty that they can look down their nose at you for taking your meds; who are they to judge? Where did they go to med school? It just really annoys me. Sad

So don't feel alone. Everyone with any type of chronic pain issue has to go through this, I think. Very unfortunate, but true.

11/24/2009 02:35 PM
SusanG
SusanG  
I'm an Advocate

I can relate with Doctors being judgemental, my recent doctor who I went to about blood test results was awful- I had had swollen tonsils and found breathing painful if i took deep breaths and had an awful couth, he simple looked at me and went, "you'll be fine, everyones going through similar stuff" considering how nice he'd been before it reall stumped me!!

I am very loath to go back now because I know that i have such a massive medical history that they will judge me, and it really bugs me. Yes, I get sick a lot, and yes I want help but why should I apologise when they are things that I cannot prevent, conditions I was either born with or things like chest infections which I do my damn best to avoid!

You'd think they think we all enjoy being ill and in pain really!

It's ridiculous. a little compassion goes a long way!

Welcome to the group Michele Smile

Susan x

11/24/2009 05:56 PM
Pamela1121
Pamela1121  

I am sorry Kat & Susan that your doctors have been judgmental...that is horrible! But I too have been there it sure isn't any fun. When we are in such pain for a doctor to treat us as we are no better than druggies off the street.

I hope Michele that you find something in the post to help you, we all try to be very suportive here with everyone. i sure know ya'll have helped me. And I am so glad I found this website.

And Kat please take care & feel better.

Pamela

11/25/2009 05:46 AM
BipolarSurvivor
BipolarSurvivor  

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my post. Luckily, I am only having half the migraines I used to have, due to, I think, making my life as stress-free as possible (but weather changes still get me). After the doctor who refused to prescribe me a pain reliever (the one who said I would take too many because I was a drug addict), I was referred to the best doc around. He knows my history, yet prescribes me 10 (and only 10, but I don't need any more)Hydrocodone a month. He is very nice to me. Here's what he said the first time I went to see him after I told him what the other doc said: "Don't worry, I'll know if you're a drug seeker or not, if you go through all these pills in a week instead of a month, and call in for more. But I don't think you will, and I apologize for the way you were treated by that other doctor. I think we can manage your pain just fine." That's why I like my doctor (neurologist) - he not only confirmed my migraines, but confirmed me as well by not treating me like a drug seeker. I've been seeing him for over a year now. He's always nice and cheerful when I come (every 3 months), and treats me with dignity and respect - something I've never found in another pain doc.

Thank you all for being so supportive. This is the one place I can come and know that someone (literally) feels my pain. It's nice not to have to be defensive.

Blessings,

Michele

11/27/2009 05:01 PM
Pamela1121
Pamela1121  

:o) Michele,

I am so happy that your neurologist is nice, and treatds you well! I have a new one now & he too is super sweet! LOL He is very hard to understand he is from Columbia South America & his nurse told me he is hard to understand but he knows it & if you can't just tell him & he will be glad to repeat anything. Now get this he calls me himself yes no type error he calls me himself unless he is super busy then Shirley his nruse calls me.:o)

I have only seen him once but have had lots of migraines & he has given me samples i got o see him again Next month but as i said he has given me samples & is appealing for me to my insurance as they don't want to pay for what helps me so we tried Zomig & naproxen which they would cover & it never helped, so he calle dme up lol with his accent saying "No not good we have to appeal or you could have a stroke or seizure or even heart attack with 12 or more migraines a month. and that was in October & not even the end of the month yet. (Yikes)He alos wants to do botox to help as my Pain doctor in Albq. she thinks it is good idea for my neck too to stop spasms. and God Bless her she wants to save me the drive down there which is very long, and said to me "He does it? I said yes so she said I should have him to it then to save you the drive". He was so cute said "Oh yes good then let's see if it will help you!!!"

I agree here on this forum there are so many kind & thoughtful people I wish i could hug everybody in person.

It sure is nice to have people who can acctually know how we feel!

I hope everybody had a Great Thanksgiving!!!

Hugs

Pamela

11/28/2009 12:49 AM
SomewhereInCalifornia
SomewhereInCalifornia  
I'm an Advocate

There's a book called "How Doctor's Think", which was written by a doctor to help at-risk-patients who have hit a medical quagmire while trying to get help.

I knew that it was supposed to be a well thought of book by the medical community but it cracked me up when I actually saw the book in my autoimmune doc's waiting room, where she had left it for her patients to read.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved