MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/19/2008 03:15 PM

what else comes with ur migranes?

TRICIA123
TRICIA123  

for me i have what they call mini strokes--the only thing mini about them is the affects almost always go away..at least so far.i know this is rare but i was wondering is there anyone else here like me?

05/19/2008 04:02 PM
kchavarria
kchavarria  

I had one when I was pregnant that was very significant. I was driving and could not find my way home even though I was only a few miles away. It lasted about 15 minutes before it ended. I had enough in me to just stay in the same lane and keep driving but boy was that a scary event. I was way on the other side of town when it cleared up and I figured out what happened. The doctors ran tests and one said it was a "migraine induced stroke" ... other neurologists said that was unheard of and blew me off. It's heard of .... yeah right, I lived it.

I have had what I believe have been minor ones since then (rarely) but they only last a few minutes. Mostly disorientation, complete loss of memory and some numbness (not really paralysis but very severe numbness in my face, hands and arms just like the one when I was pregnant.) If I go by what the first neuroligist said and it is mini strokes ... or stroke by migraine ... then this is what I have. I was told that these stroke are in a different location of the brain and do not leave perm. damage like a "regular" stroke. Interestingly enough though, I just had a very high-tech MRI done on my brain and read my results. It had a statement in there about a "spot of blah blah blah something ... that said consistent with a migraine sufferer". I'm going to be asking the doc about that next time I see him. So what spot has my migraines given me on my brain? Was that from the stroke? I just don't know.

Has your doctor given you more information???

Kristi

05/19/2008 04:37 PM
Thyqua
Thyqua  

Supposedly, if you have a migraine for more than 72 hours with no breaks (sleep not included) then you're at a higher risk of stroke. So I guess this is maybe what has happened to you guys. I think it's to do with the way the blood vessels in your brain are affected during a migraine...Thankfully my migraines have never been that bad, it's the constant headache I struggle with!

thyqua

05/19/2008 05:26 PM
TRICIA123
TRICIA123  

FOR ME I CAN BE JUST FINE ONE MINUTE AND IT HITS LIKE A BOMB.ALL THE DOCTORS HAVE EVER TOLD ME WAS IT IS TOO RARE AND THEY DON'T KNOW..I HAVE COMPLETE LOSS OF SPEECH AND NUMBNESS IN AT LEAST HALF OF MY BODY ,THE LONGEST IT HAS EVER LASTED WAS 2 WEEKS STRAIGHT AND THAT TIME I HAD NO HEARING IN MY LEFT EAR.CRAZY BUT I JUST LIVE WITH IT CAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO DO.RIGHT NOW I HAVE OTHER HEALTH PROBLEMS THAT KEEP ME IN PAIN SO I JUST SAY IF ITS NOT ONE THING ITS ANOTHER.MY OLDER SISTER HAS THE SAME THING AND RECENTLY THEY FOUND AN ANYURISM,THAT WAS AFTER YEARS OF TESTS.IF I COULD FIND A DOCTOR WHO COULD JUST KEEP ME OUT OF PAIN EVERYDAY I WOULD BE HAPPY..ANYONE KNOW OF A ONLINE DOCTOR WHO WILL LISTEN AND MAYBE PRESCRIBE MEDS?

05/20/2008 06:41 AM
kchavarria
kchavarria  

OMG! I wouldn't consider that mini-anything! I sure hope you find help with that soon! That is nothing like what I've experienced. My heart hurts for you!!!

07/17/2008 06:48 PM
autumnskye63
autumnskye63  

i've had the numbness of the face ,kinda like you had a novacaine shot from your dentist Smile drooling,the slurred speech.and the right side of my body wouldn't react right.lasted about 45 minutes.this has happened twice to me,a few months ago and about 18 years ago.i often get ammonia like smells before i'm hit.then i'm down about 3 days.

07/19/2008 04:40 AM
lisavht
lisavht  

This sounds like a stroke...I would go and get check by your doctor right away. Don't mess around and wait it out. If you do then you could have a greater chance of losing your motor skills and a whole lot more.... So PLEASE go and talk to your doctor right away.

07/21/2008 08:05 PM
newmommy3
newmommy3Posts: 255

i get tingly feelings in my arm and leg and yes i have gotten the facial numbness. weakness in my right side. it varries fr migraine to migraine. my dr said it is common.

01/22/2009 08:09 AM
kardie
kardie  
VIP Member

I was one with the numbness moveing over one side of my body, trouble talking and such. Years ago it got so bad I thought I'd had a stroke. I was put on meds for awhile to prevent migrains and carried medication to take when I did get signs of migrain. Little over a year ago I got a severe one that cause a seizure. They looked first at stroke or tumor but EEG showed a seizure.

Don't let this go. Do what you can to push for results. My life hasn't been the same since. I have been told it was Migralepsy(not sure of spelling) or Thunderclap Headache Syndrom.

Kardie

01/23/2009 12:04 AM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Um, I agree, and BTW, it's illegal to diagnose and prescribe meds for a patient you haven't seen in person, so no, doing so online would also be illegal...

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved