MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/11/2012 11:04 PM

Migraine Pain Behind Eye

nicmax

Does anyone experience a stabbing pain behind the eye accompanied by acute neck pain? This is characteristic of my horrible migraines. I also experience visible swelling on the right side of my neck where the pain is. In addition, I feel tingling sensations down the right side of my body, all the way to my toes.

The latest started on a Wednesday afternoon and did not up until Friday afternoon. I took excedrin, tramadol, motrin, alive, excedrin sinus, hot and cold packs- no relief. I finally received some imitrex and within ten minutes the migraine pain in the eye was gone. However, within 30 minutes after waking up in the morning, the migraine started again. I took excedrin and the pain subsided however it didn;t completely go away until I took a treximate (sp?)

The migraine eye pain used to be associated with pain in my shoulder blade and the middle of my neck and base of skull. I also had acute pain at the top of my spine where the little knots are. Now, the pain is always on the right side of my neck.

I hate that I experience this and would love to know the source of the migraine. I hate living like this. Angry

Post edited by: nicmax, at: 05/11/2012 11:33 PM

05/23/2012 08:10 AM
RoseofSharon
RoseofSharon  

My migraines always start behind my right eye for some reason. They are SO painful. My doctor calls them "sinus migraines" because of the pressure. I also have visible swelling under my eye. When I get them, I take Sudafed 12 Hour Sinus relief (you can do generic too, but you have to ask for them at the pharmacy because they have the active ingredient Psuedoephadrine -it MUST have that ingredient in order for it to work)

I also take a vicodin and exedrin migraine with it. Lately I've been putting my heating pad on my eye and around my head for my neck too. I also have one of those neck warmers that you throw in the microwave and it wraps around my neck for relief. I have never been successful in ever getting them to go completely away but these little tricks help take the edge off. Good luck - I feel your pain!!!

05/25/2012 06:49 AM
SSLMD

One of the triptans (Amerge, Axert, Frova, Imitrex, Maxalt, Relpax, Zomig), if they work for you, is often the best way to start. The earlier you take them in the course of a migraine, the better the chance of killing it. That is true of the other remedies as well, but they don't usually kill the headache, they just make it a little more bearable. You may be able to repeat the triptan dose--check with your doctor.

05/28/2012 04:05 AM
MigraineMama

It may be worthwhile to look into the possibility of neuralgia. Occipital neuralgia often has that back of the neck/base of the skull pain and can radiate over the entire head, and trigeminal neuralgia can affect temples/forehead/face.

My daughter had a nonstop, horrible migraine for a year and a half. Turned out she was misdiagnosed and it was neuralgia - both ON and TN. Her surgeon also said that her deviated septum was pinching a nerve and contributing to the pain behind her eyes. She had surgery in January and is doing much better.

I hope today is a better day for you!

07/03/2012 08:05 PM
MDStudent

I found this online... "Head pain that spreads into the lower neck and between the shoulders may indicate meningeal irritation due to either infection or subarachnoid blood; it is not typical of a benign process." ... my understanding (which is by no means 100% accurate) is that neck pain accompanying a headache may be indicative of meningeal irriation via infection (meningitis) or via subarachnoid blood. You probably want to get this checked out by a real doctor!

07/03/2012 08:05 PM
MDStudent

I found this online... "Head pain that spreads into the lower neck and between the shoulders may indicate meningeal irritation due to either infection or subarachnoid blood; it is not typical of a benign process." ... my understanding (which is by no means 100% accurate) is that neck pain accompanying a headache may be indicative of meningeal irriation via infection (meningitis) or via subarachnoid blood. You probably want to get this checked out by a real doctor!

07/05/2012 02:17 PM
MigraineMama

Nicmax, have you spoken with your doctor about your pain? There may be some things that need to be ruled out. It is encouraging that imitrex helped you, though. Please let us know how you are doing.

07/21/2012 07:49 PM
nicmax

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I've been suffering from migraines since the age of 14, however my migraines over the last 10 years have been much different. I've seen my PCP's, neurologist, and rheumatologist. I've had MRI's and Nerve Conduction studies. I was without medical insurance for a few years, so I wasn't able to return to the doc. I just obtained insurance again and I have several appointments scheduled for neuro and chiropractic care. Although Treximate is a Godsend, I really don't' want to have to rely on medications to mask the pain. I want to get to the root cause. I know that I have a pinched nerve in my neck, which I really believe is the culprit behind some of my migraines as well as other muscle/nerve pain. Hopefully, I'll have some success at my upcoming appointments.

I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again.

07/22/2012 02:18 PM
mikah76

I know exactly what you are going through. My eyes hurt all the time, sometimes worse than the actual migraine itselfitself. I had my opening pressure checked and it was 260. Normal is 160 -200. Although mine is not horribly high my eye surgeon did see swelling around my optic discs. Put all that together and I was told I had IIH; increased Innercranial hypertension also known as pseudo tumor cerebri.

You may want to look into that if you are anything like me and nothing is working. Best of luck!

06/19/2013 09:52 PM
andipeach11

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I know exactly what you feel like Nicmax... all the way down to the knots in the shoulder. I was just searching for relief to my pain, and stumbled across this. Wanted to add a couple notes... I have brought this up a couple times with massage therapists, and they always say they are taught in school this is the migraine spot. On a hand full of occasions, I've been successful relieving the migraine by rolling the shoulder blade knot against a tennis ball on the wall. You'll look ridiculous, but sometimes you can actually feel it shoot a sharp but good pain into your eye.

Also wanted to note that about 6 months ago, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. After removing gluten entirely from my diet, I notice I get these headaches less often. Also noticed that you said you visit rheumy... I'm actually about to schedule an appointment with one, as rheumatoid arthritis and Celia Disease often go hand in hand. Curious if there might be some correlation between this and these types of headaches.. they are quite awful.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved