MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/14/2009 04:38 PM

Same DREAM over and over

KrissyH
KrissyH  

I have been having the same dream everytime I go to sleep lately. Sometimes it picks up where the last one left off. Other times it replays with slight differences. I catch myself thinking about the dream throughout the day, and before I go to bed I try to think of something else or read something so it's not on my mind when I fall asleep, but it's STILL the same thing. Does anyone else have this happen, and if so what do you think causes it? I wonder if maybe it's certain meds or is it just my mind being my mind lol.

01/14/2009 08:12 PM
Ele

I used to have recurring nightmares even as a child. Not so much anymore. Most of the time now I don't remember my dreams. I have never just had one dream play over and over. Maybe it is your medications. Or maybe if you figure out what the dream is trying to tell you it would go away.

Have you tried going to sleep creating a good dream in your mind as you drift off? I used to do that sometimes if I was having trouble going to sleep. Sorry I know none of this probably helps.

01/14/2009 08:20 PM
justrembering
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

I did some dream work with my therapist. One thing she said is that each dream is a rement from the days events. A thought, a smell, a touch, etc. Even the smallest event can trigger a dream. We could have a nightmare, a flashback or a recurring dream. I do a dream journal and have seen the actual truth behind it.

01/15/2009 07:02 AM
KrissyH
KrissyH  

Maybe I need to try that. This dream is very violent...people trying to shoot me, me stealing boats or cars to get away....crazy. Its like being in a gang war and Im always looking for somewhere to hide. And it always takes place at night.

01/15/2009 07:14 AM
justrembering
pirateprincess421  
VIP Member

I used to have (still have) what I call as "naked" dreams in which someone or something resembles something/part of being naked. These dreams freak me out. But lately using the journal I have been able to shorten the dreams, make them so I cover the people/parts up/ and bacically get out of the situation. It helps to talk about with therapist too.

01/15/2009 07:53 AM
KrissyH
KrissyH  

Thanks Lainey, Im going to start keeping a dream journal. Sounds like a really good idea.

01/15/2009 08:13 AM
jritchie
jritchie  
VIP Member

My son has learned to do something to 'control' his dreaming. He has trained himself to recognize a dream, and can wake himself if it's a bad one. I don't know how he does it, I'll have to ask him more about it. He read it somewhere and says it really works. He uses something similar to a 'safe word' that is used in S&M. LOL

01/15/2009 07:42 PM
KrissyH
KrissyH  

I would LOVE to know how to do that Jrock!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved