MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/03/2011 09:51 PM

my medications

dad4ever

i am very depressed alot of the time because of the fact that i have been taking medication for about eleven years now and will be on them for the rest of my life. taking meds reminds me that i am not normal. that i have mental disorders and i am not going to get better.

03/03/2011 09:56 PM
marriedtoit
marriedtoit  
VIP Member

dad4ever, welcome to the group! My husband is bipolar and will be on meds, probably, his whole life. I don't think of him as "not normal" any more than I think of myself as "not normal." True story: I am a pretty recent cancer survivor and I had a bad reaction to a chemo drug they put me on. Scary. I finished that drug and was driving on a bridge. I have always hating bridge-driving but that day? I had a complete meltdown on that bridge. Panic attack. I was scared to drive over that bridge. Only my stubborn pride meant I got over it. That was probably "not a normal" reaction to driving over a bridge.

Go easier on yourself. Your normal is just a bit different from other peoples'.

03/04/2011 09:24 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi dad, I have bipolar and I will have to take medications for the rest of my life and I consider myself normal. I am stable on medications. Maybe you just haven't found the right medication combination. Keep working on that. If you don't feel level, tell your psychiatrist and get him to work on this with you. I'm sorry you are depressed with this. In time you will come to get used to it I think. I was relieved when I got diagnosed because I had an answer to why I was feeling the way I was and there was a way to treat it. You will get better, don't believe that you won't. It's all just a matter of time. You can live a normal, healthy life. I hope this makes you feel a little bit better. We are here for you. Vent, share, ask questions, anything you like here. We will be here for you and will comment. Welcome to the group!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved