MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/24/2011 08:19 PM

Hospital Appointment

waviestcatt1

This afternoon i have an hospital appointment to have hearing aid fitted, finally, i was originally supposed to have this done on 3rd dec 2010, but because i live in rural area and we sufferd extremely heavey snowfall constantly since 1st dec the hospital cancelled my appointment it was then made for beginning jan 2011, but i changed this as was still away for my xmas break, i am not looking forward to going to the hospital really because i dont like it, its hard to describe but because i cant see well i need to rely on sounds if no human around to help me, and the reception staff arent the best to be honest i get told ok go to which ever room they say, and then told u go up that corridor to the jumction turn left then 3rd door on right after the water fountain (this was where i had to go last time, not goin to same room this time) well ok directions are good if u can see, and it clear to anyone i cant see well i have a white cane with me, wear badge on coat lapel with the recognised sight impaired logo, so u see why i am not looking forward to it, the help is non existant, oh well i guess i will get to right place eventually, i hope anyway, and before they give up on me and mark me as not attending, which then means i have to rebook a new apppointment and another wait of weeks, (this happened on my 2nd visit to the hospital the staff are so uncaring) i hope i get nice ambulance car driver who will help me and go with me to the clinic....

02/25/2011 04:12 PM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I think that's awful that people don't help you get to where you are supposed to go. If I were you I'd ask if someone could help you get there because you are vision impaired. That is rude of them in my opinion. Especially with those kind of directions. You can't see that well and it would be hard to find. I can totally see you getting lost. I don't blame you for not wanting and not liking to go to the hospital. I hope you are able to get some help to the right room this time. Ask for the help since they don't offer it. That way you get there in time and you don't miss your appointment. I wish you the best of luck getting there and hope it goes smoothly!!

02/26/2011 06:33 AM
waviestcatt1

Well did get to the hospital yesterday, now have my hearing aid, and alas the staff did the ' go up corridor and on right wait in the 2nd waiting room, i was then called to go into a room that was up another corridor and was no where in relation to the 2nd waitin room, i had to leave there go back through first waitin room and up another corridor, but the dr i saw was ok he took me back to the reception when he asked me did i know the way i needed to go, i told him i wasnt really sure but would eventually get there, so he said ok i will take you, i now have my hearing aid but i am not really finding it useful at all, its set too low i think....

02/26/2011 11:44 AM
Joy75
Joy75  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I'm glad you got your hearing aid. If it's too low, then you need to turn it up somehow. Did they show you how to do that? They should have you would think! I'm glad the doctor walked you out to the reception. That was nice of him to offer. Please ask someone for help with turning up the volume. I know there is a way. No sense wearing it if it's not going to help you. You need some volume so you can hear better. Have a wonderful weekend hon!!

02/27/2011 06:02 PM
waviestcatt1

Thank you joy for ur reply, the hearing aid can not be altered volume wise by me or any one else it is one of the newer digital ones in that it needs to be connected to a computer programme and turned up by that, yes the dr i saw was lovely, i hope i see him next time i go there, the funny thing with the hearing aid it doesnt appear to make much dif to the volume on the tv when i am sat in the living room but when i go into the kitchen i can hear the tv, and i heard my daughter speak to me, this i havent ever done for 15yrs, (since lost hearing after having meningitis) so now i am wondering if it is helping with tv and will help in hearing people speak to me whilst still having noises around me, i will find out tuesday at college as that is one place that is very noisy at times and i struggle to hear speach, at least now i can turn of people i dont want to listen to lol, real true meaning of selective speech i think, i go bk to the hospital for a post fit check on 13th april, so till then i will find out how useful it is to me, i dont really want to have to use one the old style of NHS aids because they are so big and bulky, this one is so tiny and it doesnt use an ear mould like the older ones it is a tiny thin tube with soft silicon tip that sits inside ear, and its is barely visible and is much better for persons who use glasses as the amplifier is so thin and tiny as well and is also barely visible when being used, for the time being i am only having one aid to see if it is making a real dif and do i really need to use two aids, i am sort of torn between both sides, having had 2 aids before and yes they helped lots, and using one aid now, albeit it being a much better technology than others were, so lets see how i go with it.....

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved