MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/06/2008 02:23 PM

Bioidentical Hormone Pellets

azsunshine
azsunshinePosts: 519
Group Leader

Hi ladies,

I just found this forum. I've been reading the different posts about bhrt and thought I'd start a new thread with info about them. I am so passionate about letting women know that there are options and there is hope for the sometimes debilitating symptoms of menopause, be it peri, natural or surgical.

I would like to share my story:

I had a complete hysterectomy in 1987 when I was in my 30's. I was able to manage my menopause symptoms with different estrogen pills. But no doctor ever mentioned the loss of sex drive or the benefits of testosterone. For 16 years, I had no sex drive. Then came the estrogen scare several years ago. I tried to get off of the estrogen and couldn't. The night sweats were the worse. Then in 2003, I read a newsletter from my gyn about Bioidentical Hormone Pellets. I did some research and what caught my eye was one of the symptoms of low testosterone is thinning/loss of pubic hair and loss of sex drive. That was me! I also felt like my name was after every symptom. There was a ray of hope! I talked to my dr about the pellets. I decided to get them. I get 2 estrogen pellets which are 25mg each, and 1 testosterone pellet of 75mgs. I will get these pellets as long as I am able.

Here is the procedure: My doc numbs a small area on my hip with lidocaine. Then she makes a very tiny incision and then inserts the pellets. She puts on some steri-strips, a Band-Aid and off I go.

I have to say they drastically changed my life for the better. First of all the menopause symptoms went away. I feel great! My confidence level is up. But the absolute best was the increase in sex drive. Desire, lubrication and orgasm went through the roof. My whole self-image has increased.

Here is some information about bhrt pellets that I found researching them online.

Hormone pellets are the best, most natural way to deliver hormones in both men and women. Implants, placed under the skin, consistently release small, physiologic doses of bio-identical hormones providing optimal therapy.

What are Pellets? Pellets are made up of either estradiol or testosterone. The hormones, estradiol or testosterone, are pressed or fused into very small solid cylinders. These pellets are larger than a grain of rice and smaller than a ‘Tic Tac'. In the United States, pellets are made by a compounding pharmacist and delivered in sterile glass vials.

Why pellets? Pellets deliver consistent, healthy levels of hormones for 4-6 months. They avoid the fluctuations, or ups and downs, of hormone levels seen with every other method of delivery. It is the fluctuation in hormones that causes many of the unwanted side effects and symptoms a patient experiences.

Estrogen delivered by subcutaneous pellets, maintains the normal ratio of estradiol to estrone. This is important for optimal health and disease prevention. Pellets do not increase the risk of blood clots like conventional or synthetic hormone replacement therapy.

In studies, when compared to conventional hormone replacement therapy, pellets have been shown to be superior for relief of menopausal symptoms, maintenance of bone density, restoration of sleep patterns, improvement in sex drive, libido, sexual response and performance. Even patients who have failed other types of hormone therapy have a very high success rate with pellets. In addition, there is no other method of hormone delivery that is as convenient for the patient as pellets.

Pellets have been used in both men and women since the late 1930's. In fact, there is more data to support the use of pellets than any other method of delivery of hormones.

How and where do you insert pellets? The insertion of pellets is a simple, relatively painless procedure done under local anesthesia. The pellets are usually inserted in the lower abdominal wall or hip through a small incision which is taped closed. Experience of the health care professional counts, not only in placing the pellets, but in determining the correct dosage of hormones to be used.

After pellets are inserted, patients may notice that they have more energy, sleep better and feel happier. Muscle mass and bone density will increase while fatty tissue decreases. Patients may notice increased strength, co-ordination and physical performance. They may see an improvement in skin tone and hair texture. Concentration and memory may improve as will overall physical and sexual health.

Pellets do not have the same risk of breast cancer as high doses of oral estrogens, like Premarin, that do not maintain the correct estrogen ratio or hormone metabolites. Nor, do they increase the risk of breast cancer like the synthetic, chemical progestins used in the Women's Health Initiative Trial. In fact, data supports that balanced hormones are breast protective.

Hormone therapy with pellets is not just used for menopause. Women at any age may experience hormone imbalance. Levels decline or fluctuate contributing to debilitating symptoms. Pellets are useful in severe PMS, post partum depression, menstrual or migraine headaches, and sleeping disorders. Pellets may also be used to treat hormone deficiencies caused by the birth control pill.

Hormone levels will be drawn and evaluated before therapy is started. This will include a FSH, estradiol, testosterone and free testosterone for women. Levels will be reevaluated during hormone therapy at 4-6 weeks and again in 4-5 months. After the first years of therapy hormones levels are followed less frequently.

Please do not suffer in menopause. We DESERVE to feel great, enjoy living life to the fullest and have a great sex life.

I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Regards,

Nancy

--- The discussion has been locked ---

12/17/2008 05:21 PM
donnalee123

Hi Nancy would like to know how long it took till you noticed any change after pellets were in serted ..I am day 10 with no real change yet...please answer cannot find anyone else who has had the experience

Donnalee

12/18/2008 07:19 AM
azsunshine
Group Leader

Hi,

I did reply on ratemds. 10 days is not real long. I felt it after 3-4 days, but I think I was the exception rather than the rule. Most women take 2-4 weeks. There are a lot of variables like hysterectomy vs. ovarian failure vs. natural menopause, dosage, etc.

04/10/2011 05:51 PM
azsunshine
Group Leader

Hi! Thanks for your kind works. You say your husband got certified. Is he a Sotto Pelle certified doctor?

Please feel free to email me at njw_753@yahoo.com. I'd like to add him to my list of pellet doctors. I get emails from women (and some men) weekly looking for doctors in various parts of the country.

I'd love to keep in touch.

Nancy

04/11/2011 05:36 PM
victorian

Hi Nancy,this is victorian [Lynn] I read your article about the estrogen pellets. You have been on them much longer,I just had it done for the first time Dec.28,2010.I had 5 pellets put in but do not know what amts.Like I said after they were put in I felt so good I felt like I was high!!!!! After 15 years of no hormones my body went crazy,sex drive back, lots of energy, talking and just wanted to be out and busy and this was in the winter when I usually stay in the house on the couch doing nothing. Now I'm back to my old crabby self, mood swings like crazy, sleeping 10hrs at nite then naps during the day. The dr. told me to come in and we check my blood levels and he said they were high and he could not do more pellets. I told him I'm back to feeling like shit but he won't give me more, now what do I do?????? These mood swings are killing me and everyone else who has to deal with them.Do you know if your levels have to drop to a certain number or is the doc just giving me a hard time?

04/11/2011 07:17 PM
azsunshine
Group Leader

The doctor is correct in that if levels are too high, you can feel like crap. I recommend getting copies of your blood tests and find out how much of each you got inserted. Keep a chart.

04/13/2011 04:46 PM
azsunshine
Group Leader

Thank you for your kind words. I just did the survey.

njw

05/26/2011 08:07 AM
lanief

Hi. New to forum. And I have a question. I've just started the bio-familiar pellet treatments (Have had them for about 6 weeks.) The reasons I chose this treatment option were many - mood swings, no libido, sleep issues, and most noticably - weight gain. Cannot lose weight no matter what I do. So here's my question. I went back into the doc for my first follow-up and had GAINED 6 POUNDS! The nurse gave me some song and dance about the testosterone converting fat to muscle and muscle weighing more than fat, yadda yadda. I do NOT believe it. Also, my skin is so oily that I can hardly wear make-up anymore. Has anyone else had these issues? Should I just wait it out and see if things adjust over time or should I contact the doctor? I had high hopes for this treatment, so the last thing I wanted was to see a WEIGHT GAIN right out of the gate. Thanks for you help.

05/26/2011 08:45 AM
azsunshine
Group Leader

Lanief,

I have some questions before I can offer any thoughts.

Did you get Estrogen and Testosterone?

What dosages did you get?

What were your pre-pellet blood levels? What are they now?

If you got a high dose of T, then, yes you might get an oily face if you tend to have one anyway. I never have had one before or now.

The 6 pounds is probably water weight and a common complaint after starting pellets. I take Spironolactone (mild diuretic) and furosimide (strong diuretic). Most women I know just take the Spiro. This should help it. And the water weight should work itself out as you adjust to the pellets.

How are your other symptoms? Do you feel better except for the above?

Knowing what you got and how much will be a big help.

Nancy

05/26/2011 09:34 AM
lanief

Thanks for you quick reply.

My pre-pellet levels read very low on everything that was tested. (I don't have the exact readings with me right now).

The pellets were both estrogen and testosterone. I'm also on a compounded progesterone pill, as well as vitamin D, DHEA, and a methel-B-12 sublingual tab. After my first month, the levels were closer to normal, but I received an additional estrogen pellet about a week ago.

As far as the other symptoms, I've not seen much of a change yet - except in libido. It's slowly but surely creeping back. Smile

Is the diuretic you mentioned available over the counter?

I really wanted this to work for me. I was (am) at my wits end about this weight thing. I was practiacally in tears explaining my struggle to the doc. I have tried diets and exercise for several years, all to no avail. So when I went in and saw that my weight had actually increased, I was very disappointed and angry. Still am, actually.

Thanks again for your input.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved