MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/15/2011 06:53 PM

heart pounding with fatigue

jveatch7

Hello, I am new to this group and have already found it so helpful. The main thing I am suffering from at the moment is at times my heart pounds when I go to do anything and I feel fatigued. It doesn't happen all the time and I have had all the heart tests to make sure it is yet another symptom of the perimenopause. All my doctors agree that it is. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what, if anything, can be done to alleviate it. Thanks!

01/17/2011 08:43 PM
mommyofsixFriend2U
mommyofsixFriend2U  
I'm an Advocate

Sorry I missed your posts....I have heart palpitations from menopause....the doctor gave me a medication for it because it was getting really bad....try to stay away from caffine....alcohol can also intensify menopause symptoms....

How long have you been having symptoms? What tests have the doctors done? Have they checked your thyroid function? Many women have thyroid issues that start during peri-menopause.

Welcome to the group!!!!I hope that you will keep on posting....Best wishes, Chris

01/18/2011 11:39 AM
jveatch7

Yes, I have had my thyroid checked. I have actually undergone a multitude of tests: bloodwork, brain mri's, and the full list of cardio tests, because it just didn't occur to anyone that I was possibly premenopausal. My boss was actually the one who suggested I ask for the FSH test and, sure enough, that started to explain some things. My doctor has offered to give me hormones, but I hate the thought of the breast cancer risk.

My symptoms started in April 2010 at a much less intense level and very sporadic. Then, in the fall, they were more frequest and a little worse. I would have a really weird feeling come over me and I would feel sort of dizzy and my heart would usually pound. Then, when I was going to start having all the heart tests done I think I got a little freaked out by it all and started having really bad episodes, similar to what I imagine panic attacks to be like. When every single test came back normal they checked my FSH and we're going from there. It's been a miserable few weeks and I am starting back to work tomorrow half-time. Pretty scary...

01/21/2011 08:06 PM
Teah

I too have the pounding heart episodes and was was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. I started my meno symptoms at 38 and have for the last 5 years slowly gotten worse. The flashes are bad, but the dizziness, irritability, crying, sadness, depression and fatique is enough to make me go crazy!!!

I have an appt with my gyn next week and I am hoping to get a plan in place so that I can begin to enjoy my life again. My bp is not extremely high, but enough so that I now take a diuretic. Because of bp, hrt may not be an option for me, but I've heard that antidepressants such as zoloft may be helpful instead because it helps with mood and flashes which are two of my biggest issues.

01/21/2011 09:26 PM
jveatch7

It stinks that this can aggravate blood pressure. I normally have very low blood pressure and now, when I have the hot flashes, my blood pressure goes up, too. I hope your appt. with the gyn goes well and you get an effective plan in place. I hear you about being ready to start living your life. I've only been dealing with this for a few months, but I am tired of it. Everyone around me has been really great, but I know they don't really understand. That's why I like this site-it's nice to talk to people who know what this is like.

01/22/2011 12:34 PM
Teah

jveatch7, thanks for your reply. I hope things go well with this new doc as well. I'm so tired of suffering both physically and emotionally. The weird part for me is that I use to be so healthy and happy. And BOOM, with each passing year, the meno symptoms got worse and worse. I've turned into a real irritated person with little patience and even less energy!W00t

Post edited by: Teah, at: 01/22/2011 12:58 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved