MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/11/2011 06:45 AM

Endolymphatic Shunt Surgery(page 80)

lamathews

Barb, The anti-viral is like all of the other treatments for Meniere's - some do have the virus and it works for them. Most of us do not. The tests and studies that have been done are inconclusive as to the relationship between Meniere's and the herpes simplex virus.

Loree in Phoenix

11/11/2011 09:30 AM
melinaalyson

i was offered it as an option but then saw the price tag! my doctor said that many patients have used it and had success.

11/11/2011 10:19 AM
barbdc

Thanks!!

Melinaalyson, how are you doing? Have things improved for you?

11/11/2011 10:27 AM
melinaalyson

thanks so much for asking!

i'm not as bad as i was the first two months after my surgery but i still have a long ways to go. i still have more hearing loss and tinnitus in my ear since the surgery. and disequilbrium daily. i wish that i could just stand with out holding on to something. it's such a frustrating and horrible feeling that i can't just stand!!! i always opt to sit or lean against a wall or piece of furniture. i still am having attacks... they just don't last as long.

i'm currently journaling everything for 3 months and then my doctor and i are going to discuss next steps. my appointment is the beginning of december. i'm anxious to go but the more information he has the better so i'm trying to be patient.

but i'm thankful for my healthier days. i'm exercising again when i can. i am going out with my family as much as possible. i'm trying to stay positive and keep a sense of humor about it all. my friends are great and we make lots of jokes about my hearing and my drunk appearance. i hate having MD with everything inside of me but it's not going away. so i'm just trying to live my life and enjoy the spin free moments!

11/12/2011 04:23 PM
dizzylicho

Hi Barbcd,

I did get in touch with Dr. Gacek and he recommended to try Acyclovir to see if it did help. And have been taking it for maintenance only but I am not certain if it's helping or not because I'm on other treatments such as the vitamin plan for USANA, massage therapy, acupuncture,VRT, meditation, no caffeine, no alcohol, low salt, low sugar, no wheat, barley oats, and eat lots of plantains and brown rice based products (being a Hispanic, we like to boil it mash it and add lots of good olive oil and a bit of butter)and above all, I read the Bible as much as I can to give me the extra support. It's very hard and I'm very thin but it's helping to alleviate my MD symptoms for now.

I hope this information helps others.

Licho

11/12/2011 04:40 PM
dizzylicho

Melina,

My prayers and thoughts are with you. I hope that soon you can look back at the current difficult situaton you are dealing with MD and you'll be able to resume a healthy, normal life with your family and friends. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

All my best,

Licho

11/13/2011 06:27 PM
melinaalyson

thank you so much. your support means so much to me.

11/14/2011 08:52 PM
barbdc

Hi Melinaalyson, Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was away and didn't have access to a computer. My heart breaks every time I read about what you are going through. I feel your pain! I completely understand the need to maintain some sort of sense of humour. I feel the same way. I think I would go crazy if I didn't Sometimes it's not so easy. I pray that this all calms down and that you can restore your equilibrium. I feel so sad for you because you did the surgery to avoid equilibrium problems afterward and now you are faced with that challenge. I truly hope you feel relief soon.

Hi Licho, I've done just about everyting you have done except for the plantains!! Today was the first week I've gone more than three days without having a vertigo attack since July. This is the worst flare-up I've gone through. It seems that every time I get a flare up the episodes are more frequent and are longer in duration. I started taking Valtrex last Monday and so far I've gone one week without vertigo. I still feel "dizzy" and off in a vertigenous way. I still feel like I can have an attack at any time which makes me really leary about driving and I don't go too far from home. I hope I am on to something that may help me. I pray for you too and I hope you can keep your symptoms under some control.

11/18/2011 06:56 PM
melinaalyson

thank you so much. your kind words really help.

11/18/2011 09:19 PM
Greytabby
Greytabby  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hey melina...you have a wonderful attitude.. which is one reason i chose you to be a group leader... you are wonderful.. Smile ... i feel light headed....and a few days ago i was reevaluated and diagnosed as schizoaffective... which means i am bi polar with symptoms of being schizophrenic... i am well though... i am proud of you all... i miss you...

love,

kat

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 80 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved