MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/18/2009 09:24 PM

How can I quit smoking weed?

weedhead

I'm sure you don't want to hear my life story any more than I want to type it, but I am definitely addicted. Have you quit successully? How did you do it? Cold turkey? Did you have to try multiple times? I quit smoking cigarettes successfully but I never really liked them like I like weed.

Please help I'm spending like 2-300 dollars per month on weed!

And oh yea I don't want to replace it with meds or another drug like alcohol.

Post edited by: weedhead, at: 03/18/2009 21:27

03/18/2009 09:34 PM
illectronic

I was basically forced to quit after multiple psych wards, and then ending up in rehab for a month. I stayed off drugs since then, but it took meetings to make me feel happy now that I was off drugs. I was miserable before I found a place where I could relate to anybody.

Quitting due to financial reasons is a good start, but ask yourself, is this affecting your life more than you want it too? If so, there is a solution in Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous or any other 12-step program. It doesn't work for everybody, but it works for me and countless others. Give it a shot.

05/11/2009 08:43 PM
GoofyFrankie
GoofyFrankiePosts: 51

almost losing my girl got me to smarten up. today is day one for me.. clean!! I have been smoking since i was 19, Im 32 now. and I havent gone a day without in 2 years, spending a min. of 200 a month on it. I was smoking about 10 joints a night. My first night went well. Lots of support. My g.f came over and helped by being positive.

It wont be easy because I rely on it when I go bonkers. BUT there are other ways to cope and deal. Im sure I will find them, like I use too before I smoked.

smoking took away my drive to read, write, draw, paint.. I want that back. Think back to all the times you have wanted to really do something, you will see a pattern.

Weed really isnt addicting... its the fact that I use it to cope, and it became my crutch.

AFter all I put my girl through.. shes still sticking by me. If she can have hope for me.. so can I.

Weedhead.. you have to WANT too. Inside. FOR YOU! You will feel better.. as I'm sure I will too.

plus think of all that you can buy with that money Wink

*hugs*

05/12/2009 10:23 AM
DaRealMe
DaRealMe  

I just wanted to say that I support you in your journey to stay smoke free. You're right as long as you want it you will be able to accomplish it. Especially with your daughter and friends behind you.

05/15/2009 12:01 PM
maxeyb
maxeyb  

Hello DaRealMe, I like the screen name you have chosen it sound like so many of us in this group. I often wounder will the real me please stand up. Guess what no one does as I dont know who in the hell I am anynore, I associate that a lot to smoking pot for more that 15 years. I am clean now and have been since Aug 2009. I smoked pot before I was diagnosed as bipolar 1 and quite for awhile until I understood how my body would react to all of the bag of pills I was taking. Once I felt like I understood what to expect from the pills I went back to smoking pot and I do sincereely believe it made a big difference in the way it helped manage my bipolar condition.

Last year I realized that the pot was creating some emotional side effects that I could no long discount and made my mind up to quite which I have managed to do so far. I am a strong willed person and know I can kick the habit for good now. Before I did not want to quite, I enjoyed pot it was a stress reliever, and helped my feeling about me, who ever that was, still dont have the answer to that one but maybe one day.

Let me hear from you. You to can kick the habit and change your friends and spend you hard earned money on something else besie smoke....my habit cost me 200 to 250 mo.

hugs

max take a look at my bio I am the new group leader for mariyuana support group...

05/16/2009 02:08 PM
ProudMomof2Girls

This is the first time I am writing and wish you luck!! I too am going to try and be drug-free as of tonight/tomorrow...have half a joint left.

I am scared and so many things. Goofyfrankie described it really well.

I am 38 years old and have been smoking weed for the past 4 1/2 out of 6 years... I haven't had a more than 1 1/2 days of a break in the past 1-1 1/2 years.

I know I am hurting my family with the mood swings and have had enough of letting it control me. I have two amazing girls and want my life back.

I am debating going to detox or just doing it at home but not sure of anything. I feel so confused, among so many other emotions.

I pray for all of us! Thanks for reading/listening.

05/16/2009 02:29 PM
GoofyFrankie
GoofyFrankiePosts: 51

I am 6 days sober. I had a major accident on thursday and broke my collar bone.. and I still haven't smoked it. nor do I crave or want too. If you set your mind to it. and really want too.. there is NO detoxing.. because it is not addicting. People that smoke it all the time, smoke it to self help themselves. In the end, hurting everyone around them.. especially themselves. I never thought I could go a week without. But I have.. with no cravings .. well.. thats a lie. Yesturday I was in so much pain I thought to myself if I smoked one the pain would go away. But my friend gave me a couple of tylenol 3's.. and they've been working so far for the pain. I dont crave it... which I thought I would. My doctor said only in times of crisis will you want it.. but I went through that on thursday and not once did I think.. OMG I NEED A JOINT.

I am quite impressed with myself...

but as for everything else in life

you have to want it

good-luck to all of you that are trying to quit.. and congratulations to those of you that have!!

*hugs*

05/16/2009 03:05 PM
ProudMomof2Girls

You should be very proud of yourself!! 6 days is awesome! Good for you!!!

I love your attitude and agree with you 100% - you can do anything you set your mind to - that's what I always tell my precious girls.

Thanks GoofyFrankie!

05/16/2009 08:52 PM
DaRealMe
DaRealMe  

You're right GoofyFrankie there really is no detox from weed. Your eithier somkin or your not. But of course any true habit is addicting in itself and hard to break. It really does come down to if you really want it, how bad you really want it, and how hard you're willing to work for it. I myself can't seem to go but just a couple of hrs w/o thinking of it. When I'm not as stressed (which isnt that often) its not as bad. But I'm sure like most of you out there I use weed as a crutch when I cant handle things or whatever the situation is I smoke. And though I already know its not going to be an easy journey I do eventually want to quit. I dont think smoking weed is a bad thing I just dont like the reasons I seem to be smoking for. CONGRATULATIONS to everyone that has already begun their journey of being smoke free! I wish you luck not that I think youll need as long as you continue to use your minds. Haha sound like a commercial dont I? Sorry guys. I guess just trying to be positive to help you and myself.

05/18/2009 02:08 PM
ProudMomof2Girls

Thanks DaRealMe and everyone else. Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with weed either - depending on how and when you use. I too used it as a crutch always being high morning to night.

Today is Day 2 with no weed. It's been very hard. Day 1 was very difficult. I have barely eaten in two days - yesterday nothing, today a few bites at breakfast and lunch, having some mild chest pains at times, and this awful headache that comes and goes. Still, I refuse to go back to it.

It's hard because I love the stuff but I love me being in control more and I have to keep reminding myself of that. I wish I could just do a couple a night but I have a hard time controlling my use which is why I had to give it up altogether.

Thanks everyone. I haven't been online here much but the time I have spent, has helped more than I can express.

THANK YOU!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved