MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/23/2011 10:33 AM

Why you can't get addicted.

selfconsciousMGKid
selfconsciousMGKidPosts: 9

**Please read all of this and actually think about it for awhile before you yell at me about how im wrong and how its addictive and you cant do anything about it.**

I probably smoke weed about 3-4 times a week on average now. During the summer it was 6-7 times a week. I dont understand while people think this is a problem... While high im still a functioning member of society, i can still drive, i dont make stupid choices, i just feel good. I can maintain my 3.8 GPA in college, I just dont smoke before class or when I need to study.

Also think about this... how many american who dont smoke sit in front of the TV everyday and rot away? Stoners who smoke weed can at least enjoy it more, and the stoners tend to watch shows that make you THINK!! All my friends that smoke weed love to watch documentaries, conspiracy documentaries, comedy, shows about religions, and show about countries outside of the USA or UK. Either something that makes you laugh or think! It makes video games more fun, sports more fun, sex more fun, walking OUTSIDE more fun!! Weird huh, weed makes you go outside more... thats odd eh?

Alot of people say its mentally addictive. I agree in a small sense. You have done it before, you know it makes you feel good, why wouldn't you want to do it now? But to think that you cant go on, or that your body isnt "right" without weed is not a problem caused by weed, its a problem in your brain. You have an addictive personality, you can probably look at your life on a day-to-day basis and see other addictive or OCD-like things that you do everyday. To be honest, if you say weed makes you lazy, your probably lazy anyways. Weed can make you lazy-ER, but it doesnt cause the problem itself.

It is your own fault if you keep smoking day to day morning to night and never get anything done. I can smoke a blunt, be high as the sky, and still clean my house, or go to work, or exercise. I do agree that more detailed cognitive functions.. like doing advanced math, or short term recall are impaired... but if you need to be doing these things, dont smoke until your done!!

Im not sure what else to tackle right now, but if someone can bring up a good point ill be sure to respond to it!

Thanks! And please keep it an intelligent discussion, we dont need any flame because someone is to closed minded to listen to what people have to say!

Addition 1: Also I agree that it is hard to quit, but that is why you should phase out of it instead of quit cold turkey. When your down to smoking once a week, or once every two weeks, you can make it a weekend thing to relax, and eventually not even need it anymore! Also think about taking breaks to lose your tolerance!! You end up saving money and dont need to smoke as much to get to where you once were! + You wern't smoking during that break, it means that you can stop for good if you really want to

Post edited by: selfconsciousMGKid, at: 10/23/2011 10:40 AM

--- The discussion has been locked ---

10/25/2011 09:42 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

You said in your title"why you can't get addicted". You later said how you admit it can be hard to quit, just don't go cold turkey. That sounds like an addiction. Please explain what you mean by can't get addicted. I'm thinking baout what you said with an open-mind but ya. I want to tell you you're wrong, but I don't belive there is nothing you can't do about it. any addict can do something about their addiction, it's just mor complicated sometimes with their circumstances, and takes longer. What I think your message was saying, is that you can't get addicted to anything as long as you use it in moderation. Maybe you meant you can't get physically addicted, well I know from experience you can. Blood pressure differences, nausea, skin-crawling, and various other ones for different times for how your health is different. I'm sorry, I'd like to believe you, but I just don't understand your point. I really would like to know more on your opinion though.

10/25/2011 11:36 AM
jaxbipolar84
jaxbipolar84  

I love M J. its kinda soothing if u ask me

10/25/2011 12:42 PM
zaylia
zaylia  

Definitely. It's very soothing, and does a lot of good for a lot of people. I think it's kind of a miracle actually.

10/27/2011 09:49 AM
JustJulie62
JustJulie62Posts: 925

People can get addicted to TV and Video games too....for me, marijuana's psychological addiction can be just as hard as the physical (withdrawals). I think it helps many peeps with anxiety, and other disorders...then there are those that just enjoy it. Period.

Unfortunately, it can also cripple your job prospects - until it is legal it is an unfair hurdle we must jump over. How many alcoholics pass drug screens then miss so much work due to hangovers and chaos?

It is a personal choice - for me, it is a total motivational killer. Like hitting the mute button on your alarm...no need to get up yet.

10/27/2011 12:47 PM
zaylia
zaylia  

Wow, for me it's a reason to get up in the morning haha. But, during the day it's half and half. Half the time I am more motivated with it and do so much more, and half the time I do less. People are so damn complicated. I guess that's why there is mdjunction Smile

10/30/2011 01:06 PM
Iam1ShadyLady
Iam1ShadyLady  
I'm an Advocate

I do not believe that you can get addicted to pot. I am sorry for those who don't agree with me but if you have ever been through withdrawals from pain meds or other meds then you will know it is not addictive. I have been smoking on and off about 10 years and I have gone from heavy usage down to light usage due to money. I held a job as a truckdriver for 3 of those years and smoked the whole time I was driving and I had to smoke heavily to be able to do the job because I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and other pain issues and it allowed me to be able to work that long. I never had any complaints and I was always there on time every time. The harder I worked the more I smoked. I smoked to sleep and I smoked when I was in pain. I didn't smoke when I was in heavy traffic so please don't jump on me for that. I never had a wreck.

I can go months without smoking and I can smoke everyday for months and stop cold turkey. I also have major depression, anxiety disorder and bipolar. If I am anxious I can smoke and it evens me out. If I am depressed it will make me laugh. Now that I am on meds for my conditions I don't use it for medicinal purposes but every once in a while for recreation.

These are my experiences and opinions and I don't expect everyone to agree with them.

SHELL

10/30/2011 06:23 PM
MaxPower90
MaxPower90  

There is such thing as a functional addict, I've been through the withdrawal on several occasions before and it's more psychological than anything else but it does take it's toll. A lot of what kept me using was not wanting to go through the withdrawal again because I'd been using every day for a long period of time. However I do agree that some people can use it responsibly without abusing it, personally I haven't been holding in a little over a month now but this past week has been my reading week and I did it 3 times with friends that offered and I honestly don't crave it or really feel as effected by it compared to when I buy and have my own.

10/31/2011 11:11 AM
takilra
takilra  

I guess effectes everyone differently... I don't agree that you can't be adicted but he that's me..

11/01/2011 07:54 AM
zaylia
zaylia  

Everything is different for every single person, their brain, their body, and for different their circumstances. I just want to say something about not being able to eat after quitting. This is very common, and it can be psychological. I believe it is both, so does my doctor and other people I've spoken to. Your body and mind are used to THC in you. Even if you want to eat and feel like it, doesn't mean your body is ready for it. I have a very bad stomach and it affects all my side effect and withdrawals from things. Sorry, I know withdrawals, I've had them with many medications, and drugs, my main experience with them is from benzos and amphetamines. So I actually do have them to compare to my marijuana withdrawals. It is not just the mind for ME. All I am saying it is possible for some people. Not saying it can show up on studies or anything. Many things with me my doctor doesn't believe me, that is until I prove it. I have been in emergency rooms, and them saying that isn't possible, scientifically. But, it was happening. So apparently it was. Everyone is unique, some people have more unique bodies than others. Creating unique effects.

Post edited by: zaylia, at: 11/01/2011 08:03 AM

Post edited by: zaylia, at: 11/01/2011 08:21 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved