MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/27/2010 10:16 AM

reforming pot head

lemongirl65

i am a RN. someone who i considered a very close friend reported me to my previous employer as a drug user. long story short? i am now under contract with the board of nursing's rehab committee. under my contract i must (for 5 years) abstain from all drugs and alcohol, continue treatment with an substance abuse center and have monthly drug and alcohol urine screens (just to name a few). i have been a nurse for 15 years. i have an exemplary nursing practice history. my drug of choice was marijuana. i have been smoking the herb for 30 years (daily user/abuser for the last 10 years). been "clean" for 1 month. struggling with the boredom and the complete lifestyle changes.

09/27/2010 03:37 PM
anamore
anamore  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Slowly and I mean slowly you will adjust to life w/o pot, I started smoking pot when I was 14 and I always had pot on me. I smoked and then started doing other drugs, but pot was always a constant. I got addicted really bad to coke and hit bottom, so I quit all drugs, Many years later my daughter's friends brought pot to the house and I smoked again, it just made me paranoid, I couldn't handle it.It was such a big part of my life, in my teens, I was smoking all the day. Pot was alot cheaper in those days, $30 to $50 depending on the strength of the pot. Then down the corner a guy would be standing there all night selling dime bags, It was everywhere and so easy to buy.

I still miss it and feel like smoking again, but I know I won't, drugs destroyed my life.

So the longer you stay clean the easier it will be, its hard when you quit, you have to change your life style, get new friends,

But since you are being tested at work, then you definitely can't smoke, it is being forced on you and sometimes that is harder to quit then if it was of your own desire to quit.

Sounds like you really like being a nurse so don't do anything to jeopardize it, stay away. Do they test you for alcohol too. I really don't like some employers doing it, its like an invasion of my privacy but since being a nurse you are around alot of meds, they need to make sure you are clean.

Are you depressed or anxious, I know I was, I also didn't know who I was w/o pot, it was part of my life for so long.

If you ever need to vent or if things get very difficult send us a post, the members at MDJ are great and caring, always there to help you out. SDo stay strong, Sometimes having a journal a writing all your thoughts, pain and happpiness helps. always...Ana

09/28/2010 08:18 AM
Spiderwoman
Spiderwoman  

Lemon, I know what you're going through. I was not forced to quit smoking pot, but I did mainly because I'm looking for work right now. It was amazingly pretty easy for me to quit and I only miss it sometimes. I have been smoking pot off and on since I was 15. It also was a big part of my life for many years. Like Ana said, you might have to get some new friends so you are not around it. I had to get some new friends so I wouldn't be around it. Stick with it and it will get better and easier with time.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved