MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/27/2012 07:20 PM

The COSTS of Lyme - Any Suggestions ???

baboosh44
baboosh44  

Cool Hi all, hope everyone is hanging in there. I'm really frustrated as usual just trying to figure this all out. My Husband and I are covered by BCBS Insurance and he gets the best coverage policy that he can due to my on going health issues. I've been on antibiotics now for about six or seven months and now have started the rotation of Zpac, Cefur and just added flagyl this week. I have lab fees every month, office copays, many prescriptions besides my antibiotics and now have started adding supplements. The costs are killing us !!!! My Husband got a health expense card that is non-taxed for an estimated years worth of health related expenses and we've already run out of funds. I know supplements are necessary, especially ones like a good probiotic, B12, Ribose, MSM but I can't afford all that is necessary. As far as I know my insurance does not help with supplements and I'm trying to figure out how we'll get through these years of Lyme treatment necessary. The lab won't do blood draw unless I make a payment, Doctor's office hassels me about past dues on account back to 2009 etc. I just don't know what to do. Maybe just getting my frustrations out by writing this will help Wink Leanna - Take care friends.

04/28/2012 08:21 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I know where you are with all of that...and it is rough...

What I found, was if I got on more well-rounded supplements...whole food supplements, and adjusted the diet so it provided the necessary nutrients...costs can be cut considerably...

We have a section here in the Diet/Nutrition/supplements forum that has a list of supplements...

I can say the most necessary supplements are Fruit/Veggie and maca...

I can talk more about it later...gotta run for now...

Christine

04/29/2012 03:31 PM
bug50
bug50  

I have BCBS and never had a problem with payment regarding my lyme. I did have co-pays etc. They even gave me 80% of my money back when I had the special blood test.

I would call and talk to a supervisor and hopefully they can help in this matter.

I hope you are feeling better.

Julie

04/29/2012 08:06 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Yea...I know with some insurance companies, for a more high profile case, they can assign and independent case worker...I had gotten really lucky when I had ins and was pregnant, my case worker, who was a nurse, knew the truth about Lyme and got me OK'd for everything that I needed...Don't know if I was just lucky or the company that handled the case managers, had staff that were Lyme Literate...

04/29/2012 08:44 PM
baboosh44
baboosh44  

Thanks all for your comments. I'll check into things further. Sometimes I think that if I ask questions with my insurance I'll bring undue attention to my case and they may find out that they are covering more than they want or fault my physician for treating me with long term abx etc. I'll check out the forum on supplements. Wink

05/01/2012 05:22 AM
bug50
bug50  

Being sick is very expensive. My insurance had to pay over 250,000 for my Breast Cancer two years ago..My lyme I never added it up but I had to leave my job because of it and go part time which really hurt..

I hope you get some answers from your insurance company.

Julie

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved