MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/25/2007 12:41 PM

Pain relief

wellinwisconsin

Hi all,

I got diagosed with Lyme last June. My main problem has been horrible pain in my feet and some in my hands. There were days I could barely walk.

It was so bad that I wore to Bledsoe boots to work because it was all I could stand to put on my feet. (Bledsoe boots are are those black rocker bottom boots that come up to your calf that people wear when they injure a foot or ankle.)

I kept thinking I had joint pain because it hurt where my muscles attached to the joint but in reality I have severe muscle knots or triggers throughout my whole body.

I bought the book The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your self-treatment guide for pain relief by Clair Davies. You can get it at Borders or Amazon.com.

After only 3 days of working on the knots in my legs and feet, my pain was greatly reduced. So much that I have stopped taking my pain meds and am doing fine.

I was able to clean my house today for 2 hours with almost no pain. For the first time in over a year!!!

It also helped that my lyme is finally coming under control with pulsed ceftriaxone therapy. I think pulsing is critical (4 days of a double dose and 3 days off)

Before this, I was taking a single dose a day for 8 weeks and was not getting better.

There is hope! Buy this book. You might feel a lot better.

Take care,

Shauna (wellinwisconsin)

--- The discussion has been locked ---

12/21/2007 05:12 AM
sal66

That's my biggest obstacle now. The pain. Mine in in my back, ribs and chest. Its unbearable. i take pain meds and feel guilty as anything . I need continued re-assurance to not feel this way, It dulls the pain emptionally/ physically. the rash was nothing compared to the pain now Rash 1

01/29/2009 07:56 PM
lymiebird

Ah... you must learn to let go of your guilt! There is nothing to feel guilty over. Including your need of pain medication. Even if you laid yourself down in a pile of ticks in order to get bit, that is past and you would do best to forgive yourself for your stupidity – or whatever caused you to get yourself bit. I'm sure that's not the case, I just use it to make my point. None of it is your fault and feeling guilty that you are not super human is ridiculous. Do what you need to do – take care of yourself!

Namaste, Lymiebird

01/29/2009 10:21 PM
AbbyJean
AbbyJean  

I am also on pain medication and have been for about 8 months now. I continue to take stronger stuff as I continue to build a tolerance for them. It is really frustrating and I hate them.

For me the pain is severe chronic aching all over my body especially in my face and legs. No meds touch my pain for very long and I try to not take more then I am prescribed. Some days I have to force myself through the pain.

I know what you mean about feeling guilty. I don't know why I do, I need them to be able to work. Maybe it is bc I have to take so many to get through the day. I do know what you mean though.

01/31/2009 08:08 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Guys,

i have been on a TON of pain meds...anti-inflamitants...muscle relaxors...all in order to work - I taught adults computers...

Rx strength naproxen 1200mgs a day, Morphine worked all the way up to 150mgs every 12 hrs, Lorcet 10's 2-4 a day for breakthrough pain (while on Morphine), Actiq (fentanyl lollipops) 200mgs - back to back (even while on morphine)...Vioxx, Elavil, Zoloft, Paxil (which these 3 are anti-depressants but helped with pain), Neurontin up to 1200mgs a day, Tegretol dont remember the dosage...but now live on 100-300mgs of Lyrica a day, Darvocette, Vicoden, and now live on Lortab 7.5's (really try no more then 2 a day)...Lidocane pain patches (how funny i looked with my arms and legs COVERED in those)...

But I decided a LONG time ago, that I couldnt feel guilty over having to take whatever it was that I had to in order to function as a human being. I knew that I had no choice but to get a job that would have insurance...I just wasnt going to let anything or anyone make me feel like I was wrong for doing what I had to do. Fortunatly, no matter how long or short I was on any of these - and I know there was more things too...12+yrs writes a long list of Rx's...but I never ever had 1 issue with addiction. Never once had withdrawls - none of that.

I will add here - that for that chronic pain, morphine - specifically ms contin (time release) was incredible at pain management. i swear it was like being on an intelligent pain med. But even generic is costly - which is the only reason i am not on a low dose now...

So I firmly believe that if you need the pain meds, they work the way that they are supposed to...and you may be dependant upon them in order to function in everyday life - and that is nothing to ever feel guilty about.

And pain can be maddening. Presently, I manage on Lyrica and Lortab - and I do take ibuprofen, alleve, asprin, and occationally tylenol...

after spending 4 yrs in such a hole that I could barely afford aspirin, and having to suffer through the constant pain - I wont suffer any more...no one should have to.

Hang in there and do what you have to do...

Christine

Post edited by: cmany, at: 01/31/2009 08:11

01/31/2009 08:31 AM
AbbyJean
AbbyJean  

Thanks cmany, that really helps in how I look at it. I come from an addictive background and have been sober for 3.5 years in march. I guess a little of the fear comes from the substance abuse problems I have suffered from in the past.

This really feels different for me. I am actually taking something bc I am in severe body pain. I don't take more than I need for pain and I think the most important part is that I don't take them when I am upset or emotional. I believe God has protected me in this area. It really helps to know there are other people out there just trying to make it day by day with their pain too.

I was talking to one of my friends who is a RN and knows about my past issues. She actually asked me if I subconsciously made up this pain/disease in my head to get to take pain medication! I was like "Are you freaking kidding me!?" followed by CLICK!

Sorry had to let go of a little anger up there Smile

01/31/2009 10:51 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

My old pain doc would fight with me constantly. She learned to tell when i was downplaying my pain, cuz i knew that it was time to up it. I was always worried about getting addicted at some point. And she always stressed that my Behavior toward this was not addictive - i.e. i did not have an addictive personality.

What you were told really does hold true. You have to want to take these meds, and more then you need, not for the sake pain relief, but for the high the meds can give you. For that escape from it all.

You'll be fine. So long as you have Faith in YOU...I know that so many turn to faith in God - But without the utmost faith in yourself...well, I will leave that thought at that...

Hang in - and always here...

Christine

01/31/2009 12:20 PM
canucklymie
Canuck  

I am on the two rocephin a day for four then off three as well, 2 gms each dose. Pain/guilt/society BOY oh BOY... It's where one gets judged the most as I see 'guilt' here everywhere and it's tough. I know not of other areas but here, you 'seek drugs' you are automatically 'an addict' without any other issues. My problem, aside from being to close to the physicians, was that for ten years, it was headaches as the primary issue. After you 'wear out your welcome' with one physician as they either refuse to HLEP find a cause or just judge you unfairly-well you start at square one again. I think I am preaching to the choir. I never got on anything more effective than percocet as no one had the BALLS to prescribe it. It totally was an unfair situation and now that I finally have 'the answer' I have been fighting to prove, well they just say 'you've been on these long enough, and well, we won't open our minds to any new 'disease models'..' I have an interesting take on a disease model from Weintraub, it's just that - a 'model'.. Textbook/ancient history old boys clubs/etc... So we are nothing out of textbooks for sure...

So, out of luck, and at my worst state ever. That's why I am grate ful to have finally purchased the Bio Mat. I never knew far infarared heat could do that much good and healing..

See when I write that word Bio Mat I start spelling wrong as it's EXCITING-- the RA RA red head.... I continue to try to humor myself so don't mind me..

I don't know how it differs from state to state, but here in the south, even going over to the next town, they speak different (and I can tell who's from where now, amazing) they use different preferred meds for even blood pressure. AND, nobody likes to prescribe pain meds. I am so tired of hearing the stories / mds taking call- 'oh she's lying and says she can't go until Monday' or 'she is going to be cut off, call her in 5'... It's just rude and wrong, and I have found either none of them get sick a day in their life, so they can't understand, OR the ones who get sick, get very ill, either retire with a terminal illness, or, have Lyme and become our very well respected LLMDs...

I shall really try not to doctor bash but I can fairly say that I have every right to, and knowing both sides of the situation just makes someone who falls ill that much more furious.

So , right now, that's why I have resorted to at least trying the Kratom, the mat is a tremendous help, and- my mom's coming from Canada and I had to tell her to get me some tylenol with codiene and throw it in her suitcase. It's over the counter there. C'est la vie.

Have a lovely Saturday folks!Sick

Post edited by: canucklymie, at: 01/31/2009 12:21

01/31/2009 02:03 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Ya know that's why I think we really have to adopt an attitude that shoves the doc's ego's up their wazzoos!!

Like going in there and letting them know, right off..."Hey, I really dont want to be on these pain meds, and the thought of having to humble myself and beg and plead with you, because you want to "lable" me an addict, is quite sickening. BUT, do you not understand that I HAVE to be a functioning adult, I have responsibilities, that I MUST attend to. I resent being treated with such a dismissive attitude, and I resent having to come here to you. But I HAVE no choice. We need to come to an understanding. DO you NOT know, that when a person who legitimately needs pain meds, uses them, they actually use them responsibly? Did you not know, that it is very HARD for them to become addicted, because they DONT get HIGH, unless they take too much - and generally that defeats the purpose of taking them? Why? Because they are trying to got to work so they can make money in order to pay their friggen medical bills. Because they need to make money in order to Put food on the damn table."

"Look DOC, I dont WANT to have to take strong RX drugs for my pain. Give me another option that is going to work. Can you? I am SURE that if you were in my shoes, one of your doc friends would be more then happy not only to believe you, but help you. So what makes me so undeserving???"

IDK - something like that I supposed. Ya gotta hit them with logic and common sense - and tell them like it is. Dont let anyone turn you into a "drug addict" when we know that we are not. When all we want is to function for ourselves...shove it up their butts...

At least that is what I have done and so far, so good...I can only remember 1 doc who really wouldnt help - and he ended up catching an earful from the Chiropracter who referred me...and lost business because of it...my chiro made sure that the doc had lost a considerable amt of referrals...

Cant wait to see how the Kratom works for me...have to get it order tho - hee hee...

Christine

Post edited by: cmany, at: 01/31/2009 14:04

01/31/2009 06:06 PM
marley

Christine, it would be nice if they could walk in our shoes for just a day. They would have a much better perspective on it all; well at these those docs that really took their oath seriously.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved