MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/15/2009 01:27 PM

recipe's for detox baths, and other detox ideas

jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

please feel free to add your own idea's for detoxing.

I get asked a lot when I say to do an epsom salt bath, just how much we should put in. My friend has done some great research on this, and has found actual recipe's for it.

source of info: www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Detox Baths/Foot bath recipes & Dry body brushing

There are lots of different recipes for foot detoxing. It was confusing to me at first, but those who've gone before us were helpful.

We learned the value of starting slow. Below is a smorgasboard of variations to choose from and depending on where your body is in the battle.

Try basic recipes first and then add different combos based on your needs.

First, once your doctor approves the baths - make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day, so that you do not dehydrate at bathtime.

1/2 your body weight in ounces. This will help flush your system and rid your body of toxins.

Hot water no more than 98* (very warm,- especially when beginning the detox baths) draws toxins out of the body to the skin's surface, and while the water cools slightly, it pulls toxins from the skin.

Epsom salts augment this detoxification by causing you to sweat.

Other salts — all highly alkaline and cleansing—used in baths include sea salt, baking soda, Deas sea salts and bentonite clay (I am not familiar with this other than it must be used with great caution.

While it is a great absorber, it is also used to seal wells and ponds).

Daily brushing of the skin with a natural bristle bath brush or loofah removes dead skin cells and allows the pores to sweat more effectively. Brush the body towards the heart.

Warning: If you have high blood pressure, heart or kidney problems/disease or are diabetic, or are pregnant- do not do the detox bath. In all cases be sure to check with your LLMD to be sure it is safe for you.

RECIPE for a full bath:

-1 cup of Epsom Salts for every 60 pounds of body weight.

(some folks just pour 3-4 cups in each time) (This promotes lymphatic drainage).

-32 oz hydrogen peroxide; This provides the oxygenation

-1 cup of baking soda (Acts as a mild antiseptic, opens pores, relieves itching and skin irritation.

(Good for skin conditions such as eczema; helps with metal toxicity and promotes acidic balance)

RECIPE Variations for foot baths:

-1 TBSP of Mustard Powder and 1 TSP of Cayenne Powder (raises core body temp).

-1/2 cup of Epsom and 1/2 cup of Sea salt for every 60 pounds of body weight.

- 1/2 cup of Epsom and 1 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide w/1 TBsp of Baking Soda

- 2 Tbsp of Ginger (helps to open pores and aids in the detox)

- 1-2 Tbsp of an essential oil (if you have dry skin)

- 2-3 cups of 100% apple cider vinegar if your body is too acidic.

This would not be done w/the Epsom Salts bath.

(Effective in detoxifying the body and treating vaginal yeast infections, restores acid-alkaline to the body)

Excess uric acid in the body can contribute to muscle, joint, tendon inflammation/pain.

[u]For foot baths; soak feet until water begins to feel tepid, then dry off and put socks on.

Set the timer. Do not soak more than 10-15 minutes when beginning bath detoxification if you have alot of lyme symptoms.

Build up to 30 minutes as you are able to tolerate. [/u]

After full bath, rise up slowly. You may feel headachy, lightheaded, fuzzy and fatigued.

Rinse in luke water to wash toxins off; and then in cool water for just a few seconds - to prevent the blood from pooling.

This also helps stimulate circulation and increases oxygen in the bloodstream. The little bugs hate oxygen and heat.

Forum friends have recommended keeping water or a cup of herbal tea and sip as you soak, to replenish liquids.

Hot herbal tea will promote the sweating. And the suggestion of carrot or a vegetable juice to replenish minerals is excellent.

Do not 'rub' dry.

Swathe and pat and wrap in a dry towel.

It is often good to go bathe and go right to bed.

Keep your feet covered when you get out of the bath.

For more sensitive or disseminated lyme folks, a 'half bath' may be more suitable for a time.

Sit in water up to the navel with the legs and feet under water but the upper body out of the water. Start slow and build up until you are ready for a full submerged bath.

Please do not include your head!

God bless and take care! Sojourner

"God loves with a great love the man whose heart is bursting with a passion for the IMPOSSIBLE." ~WmBooth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dry Body Brushing

Dry body brushing is thought to open pores and help with the detoxification process.

Using a natural bristle brush (NOT synthetic) before shower or bath - use the brush in cirular motion moving toward the heart.

Starting at the feet and moving up is usually the easiest way to cover the entire body. Don't forget your arms!

But do NOT use on your face, as you will likely find this process uncomfortable the first few times.

I have also found it to be effective during showering, especially since dry body brushing can be rather uncomfortable

Click here to visit our store if you'd like to buy a natural bristle brush:

http://www.truthaboutlymedisease.com/store3.html

used quotes to enlarge text for me; broke up longer paragraphs to short ones for severe neuro lyme folks so we can read/comprehend. bettyg, iowa leader

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 11/12/2010 11:40 PM

03/15/2009 01:35 PM
Canuck
Canuck  

THIS IS REPEATED ALL OVER HERE BY ME BUT AM ADDING HERE... Have another post on liver detox with this, also in the babs post-was explaining this to someone else in ref to toxins in general

The key is - neuro toxins. It's a basic fundamental that most docs don't even know, and certainly can't blame them/you The normal healthy adult (i think I posted this) can usually rid the daily toxins that we cannot avoid in our environment.. With our crappy immune systems and what Lyme has done to our immune systems, we can't rid them as well, sometimes not at all. Bb spills toxins into our bloodstreams daily. When the normal amount that can be expelled by bile/etc, the rest goes into fatty tissue and esp the brain (brain fog) because the brain consists of mostly fatty tissue. So while in treatment, there's where the 'herx' comes from. Mostly while herxing, you become acidic, and you need to flush the toxins with a ton of water (half your weight in ounces) and then also alkalize if you can with Epsom salt baths, minerals, FIR saunas or a reg sauna, milk thistle, this list goes on.Another thing overlooked is that most of us Lymies have excess Mercury toxins, and you can help eliminate them with Alpha Lipoic acid. If you are on anti malarials you cannot take that one, as it's fat soluble.

I got too toxic- and am on questran. Developed by R Shoemaker- it's under chronicneurotoxins.com

That's really what can make you sink or swim, I have not been diligent with detox. I am taking burbur as well, but really just started the questran/etc.

As long as you are on top of staying over hydrated, take the extra supps if you need it, even the epsom salt baths which people swear by (you can even spray your skin with H2O2- it pulls the acid/toxins out that way afterwards) then many say it's like night and day..

03/16/2009 06:50 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

she also had this info over there about salt/C and the benefits for detoxing it provides, very interesting:

Detoxing & benefits of sea salt & lemon water

All information contained herein should not be used as a substitute for the advice of an appropriately qualified and licensed physician or other health care provider.

The information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only.

In no way should it be considered as offering medical advice.

Please check with a physician if you suspect you are ill.

NO LIABILITY WILL BE ASSUMED FOR THE USE OF THESE ARTICLES.

The information contained is not intended for medical advice.

You should always discuss any medical treatment with your Health Care Provider.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am doing some study on detoxing. So I am going to jump around here a bit.

(More detoxing tips, baths, etc., on pages 4 and 5 of this section "Everything you need to know about tick borne diseases"Wink.

I have been doing (what member here suggested) sea salt and lemon water and didn't realize really what sea salt does, until I googled "sea salt benefits" - this is NOT table salt.

From what I've read it detoxes, it can kill parasites, it is bactericidal and a viral killer.

Ben Franklin was quoted as saying when he felt sick he would go to the ocean and drink small amounts of sea water and he'd be well in a day or two.

One thing with detox, it is important to keep bowels moving at least twice a day.

Vitamin C intake can do this and magnesium too.

Read Burrascano guidelines (starting on page 25 for "REQUIRED" NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS IN DISSEMINATED LYME DISEASE:

http://www.ilads.org/files/burrascano_0905.pdf

Below is an interesting link you can start here about sea salt (they recommend MUCH more than I would do -

I do 1/4 tsp. per litre of water and squeeze fresh lemon in it as well) and then lay off for a few days -

be aware if you have high blood pressure or any heart problem consult your LLMD before doing this.

My LLMD was "thrilled" I was doing this, but my sodium levels are normal, BUT I did notice my blood pressure check this month at the doctor was higher -so I cut back to one or 2 days per week. MODERATION is key.

Lemon - although acidic in nature is alkaline to the body, exactly what we need to get the acid levels down -lemon water alone is excellent to drink and many LLMD's recommend this.

Be aware lemons can be hard on the enamel of the teeth, some LLMD's recommend drinking lemon water through a straw.

Some benefits of lemons:

* Lemons are antiseptic

* Lemon water has excellent digestive properties and can ease heartburn, bloating and other digestion problems

* Lemon water cleanses and stimulates the liver and kidneys

* Lemon juice contains calcium, magnesium and potassium

* Lemon juice has been known to relieve asthma

* Lemon water (hot) offers relief from cold and flu symptoms while providing some much needed Vitamin C

* Lemon juice is a great skin cleanser

Lemon also cuts the lactic acid in our tissues (muscles) lessening burning and pain.

Anyway - at this link, at the bottom of each page you can click on the word NEXT and there will be another detox method, like dry body brushing and more.

Here it is, again - check w/your LLMD before embarking on anything new because I am not a doctor and do not pretend to be. Also it is wise to do your own research:

First link: http://www.lemondetox.com.au/laxative.html

Also here is a very interestingn link on the HEALTH BENEFITS OF SEA SALT (you can google more results using this terminology):

http://www.health-benefit-of-water.com/sea-salt.html

Here are some of the benefits it lists - check this link out for sure!

Quote:

Salt is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure,

it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure - in conjunction with water.

Naturally the proportions are critical.

Salt is vital to the extraction of excess acidity from the cells in the body, particularly the brain cells.

Salt is vital for balancing the sugar levels in the blood; a needed element for diabetics.

Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells of the body. It is used for local power generation at the sites where energy is needed.

Salt is vital to the nerve cells' communication and information processing all the time that the brain cells work, from the moment of conception to death.

Salt is vital for absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract.

Salt is vital for the clearance of the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma and cystic fibrosis.

Salt is vital for clearing up catarrh and congestion of the sinuses.

Salt is a strong natural antihistamine.

Salt is essential for the prevention of muscle cramps.

last - You may also want to ask your LLMD about the Sea Salt/Vit C protocol if interested.

used quotes to enlarge text for me; broke up long paragraphs to short ones for severe neuros like many of us so we can read/comprehend. bettyg, iowa leader

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 11/12/2010 11:13 PM

03/19/2009 10:36 AM
Canuck
Canuck  

That's a good one. At least eating lemons all my life has had some benefit.. I will check those links out.

Will have to start a new thread on my new 'protocol' off medsSmile

03/19/2009 02:26 PM
Smiffy
Smiffy  

thank you

there's a demo of dry body brushing here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwD3PVLT3ns&feature=related

08/11/2009 04:09 AM
sweetsuze

I had always read that skin brushing should move away from your heart!

Now I am confused!

09/13/2011 06:15 PM
neska

for those who can not take an epson salt bath for detox.

i found a site for a deep foot bath.

http://www.footsmart.com/P-Carepeutic-Foot-and-Leg-Spa-Bath- Massager-30982.aspx

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved