MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/25/2012 05:37 PM

antibiotics resistence different thought

Jensen16

Misuse Of Antibiotics Not The Only Cause Of Resistance

Link to 2009 article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/ 091015163557.htm

ScienceDaily (Oct. 15, 2009) —

The perception that antibiotic resistance is primarily the undesirable consequence of antibiotic abuse or misuse is a view that is simplistic and inaccurate, according to a recent report by the American Academy of Microbiology.

The reasons behind the spread of resistance are much more complex, including appropriate antibiotic use, lack of proper sanitation and hygiene, and even the environment.

02/25/2012 07:18 PM
doglick
doglickPosts: 682

The local hospital (recently become a level 1 trauma center) has a very high rate of MRSA infections. My mother was in a car accident a year ago and spent a few weeks in this place. I can understand their issue from one visit. It was filthy.

The cleaning staff had just gone through her room and every cabinet was covered in dust. Even the doctor was bothered by the unclean state of the room and discharged her early to reduce the likelyhood of hospital aquired infection. To compensate, she was given some of the most powerful antibiotics known to 'prevent' an infection from one wound aquired in the accident.

The walls had stains, the floor was only swabbed with a string mop using already very dirty water. The bathroom cleaning took less than a minute. The cleanin staff were of the lowest paid in the place I was told by the nurse who was as disgusted as I was.

I've worked in hospitals myself and observed this very behavior at other places. Cleaning staff are often low wage and apparently untrained. The doctors compensate by giving antibiotics at ever stronger kinds and dosages just to compensate for filth. (just another reason to stay out of these unhealth factories.)

One ER I worked in had 'dust moss' hanging from the ceiling that was brown and sticky. It had never been clean in the 10 years since the 'new wing' was built. I made note of it once and the nurses shurgged saying they knew about it but could do nothing.

Proper sanitation and hygiene I would say is a vastly larger part of the problem than perscribing too much of something that is often needed.

02/26/2012 03:18 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Misuse Of Antibiotics Not The Only Cause Of Resistance, Says Report

ScienceDaily (Oct. 15, 2009) —

The perception that antibiotic resistance is primarily the undesirable consequence of antibiotic abuse or misuse is a view that is simplistic and inaccurate, according to a recent report by the American Academy of Microbiology.

The reasons behind the spread of resistance are much more complex, including appropriate antibiotic use, lack of proper sanitation and hygiene, and even the environment.

The report, "Antibiotic Resistance: An Ecological Perspective on an Old Problem," is based on a colloquium convened by the Academy in October 2008.

It states that resistance development is founded in the inevitability of microbial evolution.

There are no scapegoats, and responsibility is partly due to medical practice, including patient demand, industrial practices, politics, and antibiotics themselves.

"Antibiotic resistance is an international pandemic that compromises the treatment of all infectious diseases. At the present time, resistance essentially is uncontrollable.

The reasons behind the establishment and spread of resistance are complex, mostly multi-factorial, and mostly unknown.

The colloquium consensus was that efforts must target both the bacterial transmission and antimicrobial use," states colloquium co-chair, Jacques F. Acar, M.D. More research bridging medical, chemical, and environmental disciplines is needed now according to the Academy report.

Resistance is often portrayed as simply an undesirable consequence of antibiotic abuse or misuse, but the rate of antibiotic resistance emergence is related to all uses of drugs, not just misuse, and the total amount of antibiotics used and the environment also play roles.

The main driving factor behind resistance may actually be a lack of adequate hygiene and sanitation, which enables rapid proliferation and spread of pathogens.

According to the report, it is possible to co-exist with resistance by developing new strategies to prevent resistance from spreading and, where it already exists, identify the strains we need to protect against, find new ways to treat resistance infections effectively in patients, and manage reservoirs of antibiotic strains in the environment.

The report summarizes the current scientific understanding of antibiotic resistance, the scope of the problem, and methods at our disposal for detecting emergence and preventing spread.

The knowledge gaps about the prevalence of resistant strains and resistant infections are highlighted as are the unique problems and challenges in developing countries.

The continuation of antibiotic use for human and animal diseases is at stake unless worldwide efforts are taken.

Research for new antibiotics under new paradigms must consider what the functions of these molecules are in nature, how resistant populations relate to them, and where and how to find them.

Story Source:

The above story is reprinted from materials provided by American Society for Microbiology, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

Note: Materials may be edited for content and length. For further information, please contact the source cited above.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/ 091015163557.htm

Copyright © 1995-2011 ScienceDaily LLC — All rights reserved

good find janet; thanks!!

bettyg, leader/iowa activist

02/26/2012 03:23 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

i ended up with 2 staff infections on 2 different surgeries over the year! so painful.

bettyg

02/26/2012 03:50 AM
mem2062

We have a medical community that thinks that it is:

1) controversial that lyme can take a cyst form.

2) That antibiotic resistance has only come about during the last approx 100 years (They discovered penicillin 1928) when in fact antibiotics and bacteria has existed in nature during millions of years. Which gives the bacteria plenty of time to evolve.

3) Limiting human use is more important than dumping 100's of thousands of tons of antibiotics into animals each year.

People makes me sad Sad

02/28/2012 05:35 PM
Jensen16

I feel rage, they took out my kid.

What use is a doctor that cannot recognize organic disease endemic to the area in which they "practice"?

What good is medical regulatory agency that cannot discrimate and prioritize problems?

What good are they that prefer to punish and take away doctors who are helping their patients and prefer instead to let us fall into preventalbe, chronic, debiliating disease????

What gives?

07/02/2013 02:44 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Route Of Delivery Affects Antibiotic Resistance

30 Jun 2013

New research suggests that the rapid rise of antibiotic resistance correlates with oral ingestion of antibiotics, raising the possibility that other routes of administration could reduce the spread of resistance.

The manuscript appears online ahead of print in the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.

"For more than 40 years, a few doses of penicillin were enough to take care of deadly bacterial infections," says Hua Wang of the Ohio State University, Columbus, a researcher on the study.

But since the 1980s, antibiotic resistance has been spreading rapidly, disabling once-powerful agents, leaving increasing numbers of patients to suffer, and even to die.

In earlier research, the investigators found a large cache of antibiotic resistance genes carried by nonpathogenic bacteria in many ready-to-consume food items.

They also reported rapid development of resistant bacteria in infants who had not been exposed to antibiotics, shortly after birth, suggesting the gastrointestinal tract played a critical role in spreading resistance.

In the new research, the researchers inoculated lab mice with either Enterococcus species or Escherichia coli carrying specific resistance genes. The mice were then given tetracycline or ampicillin antibiotics, either orally, or via injection.

Oral administration of antibiotics resulted in rapid rise of resistance genes as measured in the mice' feces. Resistance spread much less, and more slowly when the mice received antibiotics via injection.

The researchers also found that antibiotic resistance genes were not detectable in mice that had not been inoculated with bacteria containing antibiotic resistance genes, regardless of the route of antibiotic administration.

The human death toll from resistance, Wang says, is much higher than the 90,000 figure provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The difference is due to the fact that bacterial infection is often the direct cause of death in many patients with chronic diseases, such as HIV/AIDS and cancer.

Besides resistance, recent work has shown that the use of oral antibiotics can reduce the diversity of the gut flora.

Abnormalities of the gut flora are associated with multiple non-infectious diseases, including several autoimmune diseases and type II diabetes, according to Jeremy Nicholson of Imperial College, London, UK. Thus, alternatives to oral administration could likely mitigate these kinds of problems, as well.

Convenient alternatives to oral antibiotics might include transdermal administration via a patch, or other devices, says Wang.

Wang suggests that it should not be surprising that oral administration would abet the spread of resistance genes, since this route, unlike injection, directly exposes the humongous population of gastrointestinal bacteria to antibiotics.

The resulting resistant microbes then get transmitted to the environment via the feces. From there, bacteria containing resistance genes once again gain entry to the food supply, via livestock, or via produce that has been exposed to manure from industrial livestock, as well as contaminated waste and soil, in a vicious cycle.

"Revealing this key risk factor is exciting because we have options other than oral administration, including convenient ones, for giving antibiotics," says Wang.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

References:

A copy of the manuscript can be found online at http://bit.ly/asmtip0613c.

The paper is scheduled to be formally published in the August 2013 Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.

American Society for Microbiology

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved