MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/04/2009 04:13 AM

PICC or groshong?

btice
btice  

What is the difference? Which is better for someone who is prone to infection? Which is easier to care for?

11/07/2009 12:11 PM
Betsy

what is a groshong?

11/20/2009 08:30 PM
OhMeshell
OhMeshell  

I'm not very familiar with the groshong but my mom had a picc line in about a year ago for a staph infection. I'm not sure there'd be much of a difference with the tube site. Picc lines are usually in the crook of the arm, and from my understanding the groshong comes out of the chest. The crook of the arm is a much more used/irritated area I would think. But in both methods, sterility is a huge concern. Picc lines have a very sticky plastic cover to keep bacteria out, and when it's changed, you have to wear a mask and be veeery sterile about it. I'd assume the groshong is the same deal. So I'm not sure there would be much of a difference with sterility, just with irritation and movement.

11/21/2009 04:03 AM
btice
btice  

Oh I am so much more knowledgable today than I was yesterday. If anyone had told me what I was in for a week ago.... well anyway... I'll be much better soon...

I found out that a groshong is a type of IV Catheter that unlike a PICC [in the arm] is inserted in the chest. Groshong, Hickman, Leonard and Broviac are all different types of CVC [Central Venous Catheters].

The difference between a PICC and a CVC is that the CVC can be used over a longer period of time. I'll have to have a doctor remove it because it has a cuff below the skin that will keep it from accidently pulling out.

I'm actually a little sore this morning from having it surigically implanted yesterday but all in all I'm pretty sure this is a whole lot better than having a nurse insert a needle every time I will need medication. So... sore or not... this was a good idea...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved