MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/06/2009 07:25 PM

Lyme bugs never going completely away?

Terpsicore
TerpsicorePosts: 11

A LLMD told me that the bugs that cause Lyme will never be fully killed in my body. They will just be lowered to a manageable level which will then be maintained by keeping my immune system healthy.

This seems to go against everything I have been told and read. Has anyone else heard this theory? Opinions? Thanks.

--- The discussion has been locked ---

08/06/2009 09:37 PM
Little3Duck

I've heard this too, but am skeptical on both sides. I have read so much research on both sides. I am new to Lyme Disease and my head is spinning.

08/07/2009 04:41 AM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

This is infact how it is. There are those(IDSA DOCTORS) who think 3 weeks of an antibiotic and your "cured". There is no cure, just remission similar to viruses in your body. Immune health is upmost importance.I want my brain autopsied upon death to see if there are any spirocetes there.

08/07/2009 05:52 PM
Terpsicore

I didn't know that. So all this work and I can still relapse if my immune system is ever compromised for any other random reason. Arg.

08/07/2009 08:01 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Well here is the thing...

From what I have been reading, even when we have a typical bacterial infection, after we take our 10-14 days of abx, there are still small amts of the microbes left behind...our immune systems are able to clear them up....

so figure in Lyme - and the research (Cure Unknown again here) they have found that the bacteria is able to alter the proteins that coat it - the immune system recognizes a particular set of protein markers - Lyme alters it...thus becoming invisible YET again...

Cleaver litter buggers...stealth at its best...

08/07/2009 08:05 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

oh and lets not forget about changing into cyst form...and so on

08/10/2009 07:13 PM
momcat1011

The immune system needs to do the heavy lifting and that antibiotics function as a helper. If the Bb is present for more than about 6 weeks or if your already have a suppressed NK response, then you will need to facilitate the NK response. This can be done by suppression of an enzyme call Arginase. Arginase can be suppressed with L- citrulline. Independently of Bb infection arginase is increased in pregnancy, diabetes and patients with high triglycerides. In pregnancy it is reversible, so at least theoretically it should be reversible in Bb infection. My take is that with a strong NK response this infection should clear ( antibiotics should help). Best of luck-- how long have you had the infection?

08/10/2009 07:24 PM
Terpsicore

Been treating for about a year. Probably have had it for 5 years.

08/10/2009 07:40 PM
momcat1011

Resveratrol can also suppress arginase activity-- you can get it at Walgreen's.

If you send me a pm I can give you a referral to a LLMD in Maryland who is very knowledgeable. Traditional antibiotic therapy is needed to kill this bug, but you need to get your cellular immune system functioning, as antibiotics will not work alone, 5 years post infection.

09/22/2009 09:35 AM
Lymegurl09
Lymegurl09  

I found this link to a slide show that talks all about lym disease the different stages of the bateria and so forth. Very good stuff!

http://www.drloyd.com/rosner.pps#1

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved