MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/13/2009 12:10 PM

Cholestyramine?

lynnsmith77

My doc just prescribed Cholestyramine to help flush lyme/mold toxins out of my system. Anybody have any feedback, insight, or experience with this drug??

Thanks!!

xoxoxooxooxox

Lynn

05/22/2009 02:55 PM
CricketS
CricketS  

I was recently prescribed it as well. I have not tried it yet but plan to next week. I am always nervous everytime I start a new med and worry about how I will react to it. Does it taste ok and how has your body reacted to it? I think they gave me an orange flavored one.

05/22/2009 04:56 PM
lynnsmith77

Hi there.

I had a pretty bad reaction to it. Tried if for only a few days.

Made me shake, shiver, run to the bathroom multiple times...I think it is the sugar that really does something to the lyme, toxins, etc?? As I am sure you know already sugar and lyme just doesn't mix well.

I am now going to try the lite version which is sugar free...we shall see???

I have read that it can have that effect on "lymies" ... lucky us right??!!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your treatment protocol and is it working for you??

Sending you lots of healing vibes from sunny Florida.

Smile

Lynn

05/22/2009 05:52 PM
CricketS
CricketS  

Hi Lynn,

Sorry to hear you had such a bad reaction to it. They offered me the sugar free version but I declined it since aspartame makes me have seizures. So frustrating.

Were you bit in Florida? I am from the Orlando area and I was bit there in 1993. I now live in the Carolinas but I miss Florida terribly.

As far as my treatment protocol goes I have been on Flagyl, Doxy, Zith, Ketek, and Mepron over the past couple of years. I was not diagnosed until Dec. 2006. Ketek worked wonders but it does not seem to be used as often due to the mass lawsuits over liver damage.

I went off meds for quite a while and started back on just doxy last week due to a major episode of brain fog. I had a massive herx just from doxy! It is back with a vengeance.

I hope you feel better soon!

Cricket

05/28/2009 01:08 AM
sherlock004

I take it now and then. My doctor says it absorbed just about everything from 2 hours before you take it to 6 hours afterwards, so timing is crucial to not waste your meds/supps. Watch out for calcium levels too, as it sucks that up as well, my poor teeth. I also had a problem with it messing up my hormones somehow, causing a flare up of my endermetriosis.

Timing of eating fats is important too, as you want to stimulate bile flow at the point where the cholestramine is sitting there waiting to catch it, as the toxins are dumped into the bile. I read somewhere what the timing is, but forgot where I read it. Probably on Shoemaker's website. It is either 20 or 30 minutes after taking cholestramine you eat some fats. You will also want to eat more fats in general (good fats of course) while taking cholestramine, otherwise your skin will get very dry, as it sucks up the fats as well.

Now you probably understand why I don't always take it. It is a real pain to do all this right, especially if you take meds 3x/day.

05/28/2009 03:50 AM
lynnsmith77

I switched to Cholestyramine light and it seems to go down much easier than the sugary one.

And yes, It is quite the hassle. You are so right about the timing, isn't so easy when you take meds and loads of supplements??!! I had no idea it could mess up your hormones...I guess I was really open to it because it seemed to have a much lower downside and pretty high upside?? Thanks for reminding me to eat more good fats.

I was also wondering why my hands and skin seemed to be SO dry....

Thanks for the feedback,

Smile

Lynn

05/28/2009 05:11 AM
HunterdeButts

I haven't tried Cholestyramine but I've done the antibiotic treatments a number of times over the last 7 years.

Last fall the Lyme came back really hard so I did it again. The doc was talking about 6 months or more on a variety of meds.

This is when a friend with Lyme so bad that it had just about wiped out his ability to think loaned me a Resonate Light machine. It is the Phorle Model Perl if you'd like to look it up. It is a type of Rife machine. I started in December with the machine two hour treatments 3 times a day for 5 days a week. After two weeks the herxing started. That blew the end out of my left foot. Nasty but it did clear up in two weeks or so. I knew then that this thing meant business. I have now used it off and one for the last 5 months. NO Meds during this period. My joint pain is gone, back and neck pain gone. I can even do deep knee bends for the first time in 10 years. I have little blisters on the end of my fingers and split often infected cuticles. That was the hardest to treat and they are finally clearing up. I've treated these for 7 years with no success. I bought my own unit 3 weeks ago because I just couldn't keep my friends machine as long as I need.

What is funny, every time I turn the machine on my cats come over and lay beside me.

This thing is not approved by the FDA and Doctors will not mention it out of fear from being fined by the government. My doctor laughed when I told him what I was doing. For me and a lot of my friends this thing has been a life saver. I live in Loudoun County Virginia. One of the hottest lyme areas in the nation.

I hope this helps.

Hunter deButts

05/28/2009 07:41 AM
dharma79
dharma79  
VIP Member

I was curious about this drug and I am looking forward to hearing how you've all made out.

And thanks for the info on rife, Hunter.

CricketS...I miss Orlando too! I want to take my family there for a visit...just waiting for the little one to get a bit bigger. What age do you think would be the minimum needed for optimum enjoyment? LOL

Sorry...totally off topic. Blush

SO...Yes the possible up side of this drug is it's a great detoxer...But it does sound like a major PITA!

Any positive feedback out there? Sideways

05/28/2009 09:49 AM
bflogal

I took Cholestyramine for about a month and a half. It really seemed to help me and made me feel better. however, i stopped taking it b/c i had developed a problem with frequent urination. i don't know if it was the culprit, but the frequency stopped after i stopped the chol. and the antibiotic. i think it was just too much for my body to handle.

05/28/2009 11:09 AM
sherlock004

I also forgot to mention that you need to be careful that you don't get intestinal blockage with cholestryamine. I always take cascara sagrada and lots of water with it just to be on the safe side.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved