MDJunction - People Helping People
 
Ask a Question
03/20/2009 01:32 PM

LLMD in Wisconsin?

darlabrown1
darlabrown1  
Posts: 44
Member

Looking for the closest LLMD to my friend Bob. He lives 1.5 hours north of Milwaukee and 30 minutes south of Green bay. Anyone know of an LLMD close to him?

Thanks...Darla

Reply

03/20/2009 01:56 PM
Canuck
Canuck  
Posts: 1674
Senior Member

Hmmm... will see what I have, may take me a bit, that's a tough spot, may have to be in another state but will send whatever I have in any state closest!!!!

03/20/2009 01:58 PM
Canuck
Canuck  
Posts: 1674
Senior Member

Done

03/20/2009 06:11 PM
Gregory

i see one in waupaca pm me if you need info

greg


07/17/2009 07:58 PM
wimommy
Posts: 4
New Member

I was wondering if you can give me any info on LLMD in WI? I live in Green Bay. My 16 month old daughter I think might have Lyme. She had 3 bulls eye rashes that appeared on what we thought were mosquito bites. Do you know if mosquito can transfer Lyme? Thanks.

07/20/2009 11:38 AM
dharma79
dharma79  
Posts: 1180
VIP Member

Hi Mommy!

I am so sorry to hear that your daughter may have this.

I recently took my daughter to a Lyme Pediatrician...the best! He is in CT, but as I said, he is the best.

Please PM me if you would like the name.

My daughter is 2 and she was either exposed in utero, via breastmilk(I have chronic Lyme) OR via some kind of bite. I noticed 2 bites last summer that looked like mosquito bites but had a very distinct halo around them.

We are awaiting some more tests to try to pinpoint better when she may have been exposed.

The fact is that there is some evidence that suggests it can be transmitted by mosquito bites or from other biting insects.

The doc also said the risk of exposure is everywhere. Do you have pets, a live tree at Christmas, a woodburning fireplace or pit and then all the other risks beyond your own yard.

Is she exhibiting any symptoms? Have you brought her to her pediatrician with your concerns? Eary detection and treatment offers the best prognosis. It's best to move quickly and with determination. Print out info and bring it to your doc if you think they'll need convincing. Most traditional docs don't know much about Lyme and other coinfections carried by the ticks. Arm yourself with knowledge!

It is very hard and overwhelming, I know. Please PM Jaime or Christine for a doc in your area. You can find them under the leaders tab.

Please feel free to PM me for anything! Wink

Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.


07/20/2009 01:25 PM
Mickie
Mickie  
Posts: 51
Member

Dharma - Is your 2 year old receiving any treatment right now? I mentioned my concerns about my 6 and 2 year old possibly contracting lyme in utero a while back. If so, what kind of treatment is your daughter undergoing? Part of me wants to go forward with testing for both of my kids, while another piece of me is still holding back, waiting for definite clues. I'm a little scared of the treatment protocol due to my own experience. What specific signs prompted you to test her? Please PM me when you get a chance. I'd greatly appreciate any input mom to mom.

Thanks a lot, Mickie


07/20/2009 01:39 PM
wimommy
Posts: 4
New Member

Thanks for your concern and help. I did PM Jamie and Christine for info in WI. I will go that route for now to see if she has it. Has your daughter had any treatment done. I talked to a lady today from the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center and she said my daughter is too young for them to help and she wasn't sure how they would go about treating her. She was very helpful though and provided me with research showing that mosquitoes have transmitted it. I have an appointment with my ped tomorrow and he basically said he could do the Lyme test which is inaccurate and could put her on antibiotics if I wanted too. I'm not sure what the best route to go is. Any info you have on treatments in young children you would be willing to share would be appreciated. Thanks so much. Best of luck to you and your daughter. Your family is in my prayers.

07/21/2009 10:31 AM
dharma79
dharma79  
Posts: 1180
VIP Member

So this is the story of my daughter's Lyme...

I crashed post partum and discovered that I was testing CDC positive for active Lyme even though I was initially infected in 1994, finally dx in 1999 and treated for 8 months with Zithro and told my remaining battle was with FMS...I found this place while searching for answers and finally found a place where peoples' experiences matched my own.

As I learned more, I realized that I was never given the full picture about Lyme and potential effects to the baby...so the seed was planted.

I mentioned my concerns to my daughter's pediatrician and was brushed off. Then when I finally found an LLMD for myself, I mentioned my concerns to her and she agreed to test my daughter and hubby.

Well...hubby came back negative and our daughter tested Igenex positive on WB IgM...indicating new or recent exposure.

My LLMD put her on zithromax 1/2 a tsp/day and we did that for about 6-8 weeks. She had no reactions and took it very well.

Fast forward to our appt with Dr. J in CT.

He feels pretty strongly at the moment that her exposure was not congenital. He told us that of the 7,000 babies with congential Lyme that he treated, they all had very serious problems pretty much from the get go.

My daughter is bright, high energy and high maintainence(his words, not mine! LOL) He said she is extremely flexible and all muscle tone, etc. was good. All in all, she is doing great.

So he did order more tests...IgG to try to give us a time frame for exposure, and Babesia because she has always sweat like crazy in her sleep and I also have babesia.

We have a telephone appt to discuss test results the first week in August.

So, he is calling it, until or unless the tests show something different...exposure to the Lyme bacterium.

It was at this point he went over possible risk factors I spoke about earlier on this thread.

Either way, he feels that even if she does become symptomatic, her case will be treatable.

It appears that my daughter has a good enough immune system, for now, to be able to keep it at bay. My hubby and I think this might be because we chose not to send her to daycare. I can only imagine that if her system was being bombarded by all the illness that breeds in those types of places, she may not have been able to keep the Lyme back. (She is not isolated from friends and family and the world at large...we just don't like day care in general...just our opinion. I mean no offense to anyone that loves or needs their day care services.)

By the way, my daughter didn't really present with any symptoms other than the sleeping trouble and sweats, some major attitude issues, constant cracking in her joints, sunken dark circles under her eyes and phantom pains. She is our first and only child for now...so we aren't very experienced parents...it's all new to us. You know the story...No manual...Hahaha

Dr. J had an explanation for most of those things. I was so glad that he didn't feel any pressing need to put her on treatments. Hopefully the tests will yield some more answers to my lingering questions.

For example, will Dr. J change his mind about her getting it from me if she shows + for the same strain of Babs I have? And what are the chances that MY daughter is going to be exposed to the same disease before she is even 2 y/o? Geez, talk about not getting a break! lol

So, I think that unless a bite and/or rash and/or symptoms are present, the course of action may in fact be "wait and see". This is just my opinion and other docs may try something different.

I hope this helps...and again, please feel free to PM me for anything.

Cheerful


07/21/2009 12:39 PM
Mickie
Mickie  
Posts: 51
Member

Thanks Dharma -

This gives me a lot to consider. Both my children show minor signs of lyme and we "supposedly" live in an area which is difficult to contact infection??? I personally disagree. However, this is what leads me to believe is possible they may have contracted it in utero (if at all). I too, had major crashes after each birth, while feeling better overall during pregnancy itself. Similar to your daughter, both my children are developmentally appropriate for their ages(very smart, active, atheletic, etc.), but seem to have poor immune systems and pain issues - especially my youngest (2 yrs.) Could this just be growing pains? - hard to determine at this point). Both also sweat perfusely (sp?) during sleep.

Their pediatricians/allergy specialists thought it might be beneficial to start with a general immunology/antibody test, as lyme in this area (Washington State) is very controversial. Therefore, the idea itself tends to be brushed off/disregarded. They(the pediatricians) figured a generic lyme test would likely be inconclusive/negative. Because the Igenex is so expensive, I think we might start with this advice and go from there.

When your daughter was on antibiotics, did you notice any long-term changes/improvements? Again, when it comes to your children, it is soooo difficult to make decisions. Yet, I constantly worry (which doesn't help my progress - of course).

I greatly appreciate all of your feedback and willingness to share your personal experience regarding this matter.

Warmly,

Mickie

Reply

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>


Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved