MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/20/2007 07:29 PM

Western blot

catsgalore

On the Western blot test, I had 2 bands detected. I have a printout of the results & it's bands # 23 & 41. Does anyone know anything about this & what it means? The conclusion of the testing clinic was "possible early Lyme's" & recommended retesting in 4-6 weeks "if clinically indicated." I have no clinical symptoms other than a slight sore throat but I've also had hay fever type sneezing so I am not sure the sore throat means anything.

I am being retested on Monday but would like to hear from anyone regarding those particular bands if possible.

Pam in Wisconsin where the ticks are thriving!

07/20/2007 10:01 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

[b][size=5][/size]

Pam,

check above my post on my various posts I've posted, etc. look for the western blot igm/igg blood test explanation.

in it, look for Dr. C's EXPLANATION of this test; he has each protein broken down with comments about it.

WHICH LAB performed your western blot blood tests? VERY IMPORTANT!

check also my long, detailed list of symptoms list with over 125-150 symptoms!

depending WHICH LAB you tested with; hold off on Mon. testing until we can give you more advise ok based on the lab you used!

07/21/2007 07:17 AM
catsgalore

Betty,

The test was done by the Mayo Medical Labs in Rochester,MN.

Pam

07/21/2007 08:10 AM
catsgalore

The bands that were found on the Western blot that was done at Mayo were 23 & 41. From reading Dr C's explanation of the Western blot, plus the fact that my Elisa was positive, I think it's probably pretty likely I have early Lyme's. Is there really any point in sending the test off to Palo Alto or NJ if the Mayo test already showed those particular bands?

Pam

07/21/2007 11:20 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

[b][size=5][/size]

Pam,

I'm gun shy of Mayo Clinic since 3 yrs. ago after IGENEX tested my western blot igm/igg blood test, and I had enough positives to be declared CDC POSITIVE, our local clinic sent my blood to mayo clinic for testing!

well, it came back NEGATIVE ON BOTH; as they tested only TWO BANDS AND FIVE BANDS of the 16 protein bands!

so, i'm gun shy of mayo clinic that they have finally boughten LYME SENSITIVE EQUIPMENT to test for lyme, co-infections, etc. in MY NON-MEDICAL OPINION!

Pam, so please list ALL the bands they tested you for in both IGM & IGG below ok!

did they test you for CO-INFECTIONs? that's what i'd want tested so you have the whole picture of what you are dealing with: lyme alone or with many co-infections or what!

please respond and then i'll help you further ok!

Cool

07/21/2007 11:58 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

[b][size=5][/size]

this was posted today at lymenet.org, so I'm copying/pasting it here below for others. The poster who posted this has some MORE numbers than what I've seen before! don't know where they came from....info only!

Below is the breakdown of the Western Blot bands:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia

12 specific for Bb

18 unknown

20 cross-reactive for Borrellia

21 unknown

22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band

23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb

28 unknown

30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and

one California strain

31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb

34 outer surface protein B (OspCool; specific for Bb

35 specific for Bb

37 specific for Bb

38 cross-reactive for Bb

39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb

41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia

45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have

this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)

50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia

55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia

57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia

58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein

60 cross reactive for all Borrellia

66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria

83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane

93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

The IgM tests for a more recent infection, the IgG a longer standing one. Band 41 is often the first to show, and yours is positive and IND. Bands 31 and 39 are Lyme specific bands and yours are positive and IND.

No Lyme test is completely reliable. Many people who have Lyme test negative. On the Western Blot, the CDC requires a large number of bands to show for it to be considered positive yet many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands show.

Lyme doctors often focus on which bands show, some are specific for Lyme. Testing should be used as an aid in diagnosis not solely for diagnosis. A lyme knowledgeable doctor will not rely solely on test results to diagnose tick-borne illnesses.

In my opinion, the most important thing someone who has or may have Lyme disease can do is see a Lyme knowledgeable doctor. Cool

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 07/21/2007 14:00

07/21/2007 12:18 PM
catsgalore

I can't tell how many bands they tested but this is what it says:

Test Results Units

Coll: 06/26/07 10:22 2 band

IgG Western Blot

--Expectev values

<5

IgG bands detected 23,41 kDa

IgM Western blot 2 band

--Expected values

<2

IgM bands detected 23,41 kDa

Interpretation

Possibly early Lyme disease. Recommend retesting in

4-6 weeks if clinically indicated.

07/21/2007 01:07 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

[b][size=5][/size]pam,

i don't like what i'm seeing from what they sent you!

sorry, but in my NON-MEDICAL OPINION your results stink!

igenex itemizes EACH band with positive, neg., pos/neg, or undetermined

yes, i'd have IGENEX western blot testing done! i'm so tired again, it's nap time alreayd! Cool

07/21/2007 03:22 PM
catsgalore

Betty,

I am going to ask that the sample drawn on Monday be sent to Igenex. I have their address in Palo Alto & 800 number. Does the sample have to be on ice or refrigerated or anything special? Anything I should know to tell the clinic on Monday?

Pam

07/21/2007 09:48 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

[size=5][/size]

Pam, read the top part good ok!

1. you need to download their IGENEX form.

2. MD must sign/date/put diagnosis code on their form so you can submit to your insurance co.

3. BLOOD DRAWERS MUST DO EXACTLY WHAT THE SITE SAYS!

4. you could call & order a blood kit for western blot; they will have in their form, all the necessry tubes COLOR CODED, and box so you can send it promptly to them!

5. MON. & TUES. AFTERNOON DRAWS HAVE MORE POSITIVE LYME DIAGNOSIS!

I'm going to copy/paste from my newbie links, advise, symptoms, tests, disability, etc. that i send to ALL those joining www.lymenet.org, below:

If testing for Lyme use IgeneX 6-10-07

If testing for Babesia or Bartonella use FRY LABATORY in Arizona! --

cost is $250 for a blood slide test -- more definitive than an antibody test for these co*infections

IGENEX in Palo Alto, CALIF. BLOOD TESTINGS

&#61623; Please note: What you are about to read below is NOT meant to scare any of you from any lyme testings done; it's meant to be informed PRIOR to going into having various tests done and then be told what the costs will be!

&#61623; Mine was sticker $$ shock on various testings done by my 2nd LLMD/new to me in 4=06. Those tests/results are found elsewhere in my links/advise.

&#61623; Igenex's charges for these below things cost $905, which I figured up the last 2 days for 2 other folks includes

&#61623; The below tests were done for ME; you MAY NOT NEED them all ok!:

&#61623; western blot IGM & IGG, this is MANDATORY for you which costs $190 total for 2 tests done;

&#61623; *******************************************************

&#61623; OPTIONAL ONES ARE:

&#61623; co-infection panel for YOUR AREA OF COUNTRY;

&#61623; PCR WHOLE BLOOD...this is what my LLMD ordered!

NOTE: It's PREPAY! unless you are on medicare; IGX will file the paperwork & it's FREE to you.

go to www.igenex.com and read over their info.

&#61623; Also, call 1-800.832.3200 for CURRENT PRICES!

&#61623; They will also send you a “test kit” with their required form, all the test vials, & box to ship it in! OUT OF USA will take longer to receive!

What I gave you was 2-06 prices; went up 11-06!

&#61623; You need to DOWNLOAD IGENEX's required form.

NOTE: &#61623; MD must sign, date, and show DIAGNOSIS CODE on there why he's ordering the test. Make sure you show to FAX results and SNAIL MAIL PAPER COPY! My results were lost for 4-5 weeks! Bettyg

&#61623; When you get your results, please post them in MEDICAL;

&#61623; ONLY the POSITIVE & IND ones ....not the negative ones!

&#61623; Also, look for post by LYMETOO/TUTU on DR. C's (Missouri) explanation of the western blot IGM & IGG numbers.

They are listed on another page in my links ok!

THIS IS NOW POSTED BELOW AT END OF POST!

Top 5 lyme/tick diagnostic labs in USA:

1. Igenex, Calif.; www.igenex.com, 1.800.832.3200

2. MD LABS, NJ; www.mdlab.com

3. Stoneybrook, NYC, SUNY Stonybrook:

www.path.sunysb.edu/labs/ticklab/TICKLAB.htm and

4. Florida changed names; can't remember new name!

5. FRY LABATORY, ARIZONA to test for CO-INFECTIONS $250!

FRY LABATORY

15720 N Greenway-Hayden Loop, Suite 3,

Scottsdale, AZ 85260

The phone number listed on the report is

480-991-4555.

Stoneybrook is the campus where State University of New York has it's Lyme lab.

I don't know exactly where it is located-I think on Long Island. Kris

From Timica; I think it is a good lab for HHV, etc. *****************

but NOT LYME. Bettyg added last line about lyme from lymenet.org members!

Here's the website: 7-07

www.path.sunysb.edu/labs/ticklab/TICKLAB.htm

COMPLETING BCBS HEALTH INSURANCE “CLAIMS” TO SUBMIT TO COMPANY:

1. cross out in heavy marker any info you do NOT bcbs to know; credit card numbers, etc. OR put a post it note on that area.

2. you do NOT have to send certified, etc.

fyi --- des moines, iowa's bcbs LOST my info many times internally and perhaps it is still lost!

nov. 06 i filed with iowa insurance co. a complaint form against bcbs for not paying $4300 out of pocket for my lyme expenses since they would not process any of my lyme claims! they have sat on these, lost them, and denied verbally but not sent me WRITTEN DENIAL FORMS! in 8 months!

3. yes, on each form you complete, show the DATE MAILED WRITTEN IN! you will need that each bcbs asks you this.

what i did is this:

prepare a MASTER COPY of completed info it requests:

our name, address, phone no., PERSON'S BCBS ID NO. .... make sure you have the ENTIRE NO. WRITTEN DOWN!

I SIGNED THIS ORIGINAL SAVING ME TIME FOR FUTURE ONES.

do NOT date !

i messed up; left last digit off and no one noticed!!

Then i made 12 copies on my scanner/copier!

then i'd complete one PER DR./LOCATION

showing the date done, what was gotten, and then WRITE IN THE TOTAL AMOUNT PER INVOICE!!

EXAMPLES: if you have 2 or more bills from SAME DR., shown them on this ONE claim form,

but after each invoice shown, type of service gotten, write in the $$ amount of invoice.

do this for each one until you have this specific dr/location done

then show a grand total also for this dr!!

take one of your other forms for pharmacies; EACH PHARMACY IS SEPARATE!

you can combine the SAME PHARMACIES TOGETHER; again, show the total amount per invoice!!

when done, make copies of:

. EACH CLAIM FORM

. each billing invoice

note: IF THEY ARE SMALL PIECES OF PAPER, PUT SEVERAL TO "SAME DR. OR PHARAMACY" ON A 8.5 SHEET OF PAPER TAPING THEM TO IT SO THEY ARE NOT LOST.

in my case, i got the name of the lead worker at this bcbs billing station, and sent ALL CLAIMS TO HER; even had typed address label with her name HIGHLITED!

hope this helps you! when done, go thru everything again so nothing is overlooked; have your family help you

double check that bcbs ID NO. and that all 9 digits appears!

now print off everyone's suggestions; place in a file folder for future use ok.

Tick Specialty Labs: Too Many Positive Findings?

They Save Lives

By James S., MD, MAR, PA, DABPN, DABFM

I asked Dr. Harris, from the internationally respected, IGeneX labs, to reply to the dubious comment that IGeneX "only has positive findings."

This is not valid for many reasons.

First, many physicians using IGeneX get negative results.

Further, IGenex has done quality assurance studies with appropriate negative findings in uninfected controls.

And the company, as you can see below, has done a great deal to be certified and licensed.

The "all results are positive comment" is lazy, sloppy and uninformed.

Lyme is the leading vector illness in the USA. A positive result should not be rare.

IGeneX, Inc. is a reference laboratory located in Palo Alto, California specializing in Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases.

We take pride in the quality and diversity of the testing that we perform on samples from around the world.

IGeneX is licensed by CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) and is strictly regulated by CLIA.

We are licensed in all states, including California, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Florida where special licensing is required.

The laboratory is inspected by these state and federal agencies on a regular basis. A Ph.D. consultant is also used to ensure that our laboratory is current with all the compliance regulations.

IGeneX participates in all proficiency programs required, such as New York State. Independent specialty laboratories, such as IGeneX, who have a narrow focus in testing, typically are not certified by CAP, but we do participate in the CAP Proficiency programs.

IGeneX has been testing clinical samples for over 11 years.

The staff consists of a Laboratory Director, an MD Clinical Consultant, and several other MDs who also are licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientists who manufacture and perform tests.

The personnel responsible for the test quality and performance are all licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientists, most of whom have been with IGeneX for many years.

Our Research team is comprised of qualified PhDs and MDs and experienced Research Associates.

Customer Service is our main goal and the office staff is always willing to assist our patients and physicians. We take pride in our trained personnel that have worked together for years.

IGeneX is continually working on the advancement of existing tests.

In addition, IGeneX is committed to designing and researching new technologies and opportunities.

Our goal is to give Lyme patients and their physicians state-of-the-art tools for diagnosis of Lyme and other tick-related diseases.

--------------

[Steve Andison Comment] The Federal Center for Disease Control periodically ships identified samples of what they know to be positive and negative samples to IGeneX to determine the accuracy of their testing procedures.

Their accuracy rate for both positives and negatives is unsurpassed by any facility in the United States and with their state-of-the-art techniques and equipment, they may be the most accurate lab for diseases carried by ticks.

WESTERN BLOT IGM AND IGG RESULTS EXPLANATIONS FROM

DR. C IN MISSOURI, PLUS BABESOSA TEST NO. & MORE!! A MUST READ FOR ALL from LYMETOO/TUTU !!

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=042077 Cool

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 02/26/2009 21:30

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved