MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2012 07:47 AM

cost of lab tests: ELISA vs Western Blot

prillo

Hello everyone,

I noticed in reading about Lyme that doctors traditionally prefer to do the ELISA lab test, and if it's positive, then do the Western Blot.

I understood that this was because the ELISA is less expensive. But the Western Blot is more accurate, so why not do it first, right?

I called for costs at our local hospital, and the ELISA for Lyme is $340, while the Western Blot for Lyme is $104.

So in this case, the ELISA is *not* less expensive. One more reason to skip it. Just FYI for anybody in the same boat.

BTW lab results are not back yet for me, but I am waiting...

05/04/2012 08:45 AM
pampe
pampe  
Group Leader

I would not suggest having a WB done at your local hospital.

Igenex Lab or Quest are the premier test sights. I cannot imagine why an Elisa would be cheaper actually.

Are you sure you don't have them reversed?

05/04/2012 08:48 AM
prillo

Thanks pampe. I did not know this about where to test. The labs are already done at the hospital.

Because I still have symptoms (tick bite was early March) I have scheduled an appointment regardless of the lab results.

Perhaps they will schedule another lab with Igenex or Quest? I will ask.

Meantime I double-checked and the ELISA is indeed $340 and Western Blot $104. Can you educate me and let me know why the ELISA would make sense to be more expensive?

I am so new to this... knowledge is power. Smile

Thank you again!

Post edited by: prillo, at: 05/05/2012 11:24 AM

05/04/2012 08:08 PM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

Here is the reason why the ELISA is run first and nearly exclusively:

The man who holds the patent is still an active member of... (brain foggy today) I believe the IDSA or CDC. Can't remember which.

But basically he is the one getting the royalties for this test being run and he's still a big player in the game of "pull the wool over the general public and doctors' eyes and let the Lymies rot."

Wow. That sounds REALLY harsh. LOL Sorry folks. It just is very upsetting to me to know that truth and that is one reason why SO many are being undiagnosed and misdiagnosed, including myself for over a year (which is NOTHING compared to many of you out there!!).

So there's the ugly truth. Nothing more than $$$$$$$$$.

Sad Lauren

05/04/2012 08:18 PM
Klipper

Lauren! Where did you locate this information? Uhg!! <pulling my hair out>

05/04/2012 09:28 PM
nank59
nank59  

The cost of my ELISA was $225 at a local lab - where, by the way, the one man running the show remarked that "Oh, it's probably just an allergic reaction to something, we'll get this taken care of."

The cost of my WB was $260 through IGenex - plus $25 to the local lab (different lab from the one man show lab).

Post edited by: nank59, at: 05/04/2012 09:31 PM

05/05/2012 11:26 AM
prillo

nank59, that is interesting. It's backward here. Then again, labs were nearly twice as much from one lab to the next when I called to compare.

I would be glad to pay more if I knew the results would be more accurate, but did not know Igenex/Quest was somehow better then. I haven't called either of them yet.

05/05/2012 01:01 PM
pampe
pampe  
Group Leader

prillo, the Igenex website has everything you need including downloadable forms.

05/05/2012 03:39 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

lauren,

are you thinking of WORMSER OR STEERE?| those 2 are the top 2 players for idsa/infectious drs. and proclaiming protein bands 31 adn 34 lyme specific will NOT be included in western blot igm/igg???

Here is the reason why the ELISA is run first and nearly exclusively:

The man who holds the patent is still an active member of... (brain foggy today) I believe the IDSA or CDC. Can't remember which.

But basically he is the one getting the royalties for this test being run and he's still a big player in the game of "pull the wool over the general public and doctors' eyes and let the Lymies rot."

bettyg, IOWA ACTIVIST FOREVER Wink

05/08/2012 06:44 AM
WiscLamLymie
WiscLamLymie  
Group Leader

It's definitely an IDSA member. Can't find who right now, but that is a fact. IDSA member.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved