MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/14/2011 03:10 PM

Tax deductions for medical treatments

rowergirl2010

I'm an Advocate

I am trying to get my spreadsheets ready before I go back to work so that come tax time things might be a bit easier! I know that we can file for medical mileage and supplements under a doctors orders. What else can we file for?

If someone knows please share the minimum miles for mileage reimbursement. I know you can use a three year period for which I have over 3000 miles.

On the supplements end... Does one need a doctors signature on the spreadsheet to say that these supplements were ordered by him or her?

I have to pay up this year and hope not to next year considering how much I have spent being sick.

08/14/2011 04:14 PM
smileanyway
smileanyway  

I understand not wanting to pay and needing the extra money. Lyme is an expensive disease. I don't know how to go about that. As for me I'm a bit leery about putting the fact that I have lyme disease down on paper for them to see.

Also llmd's are a target for the FDA and government. Is there a way that it could be done without involving your Dr or stating that you have lyme? Because if there is then I'm in. I need money so bad.

08/14/2011 04:28 PM
rowergirl2010

I'm an Advocate

I am not writing down that I have Lyme. I have documented my travels to and from doctors I have seen gyno, gp, urgent care, er, etc. I am also writing down the close to 2000 dollars worth of supplements I have taken in six months - I am doing only herbs and supplements.

The tax reg I read though requires that your supplements are under a doctors orders to get reimbursement. Not sure how one goes about proving such though.

08/14/2011 09:01 PM
smileanyway
smileanyway  

Wow, I could have used that last yr. Can you let me when you get it figured out? Thanks

08/15/2011 02:03 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

amanda,

i just sent your question to an online friend, a former tax accountant; so if you don't hear from folks here; i know she will answer as time permits Wink

her husband has been so sick for 7-10 yrs; they've seen many, many llmds in many states.

when i hear back, i'll post here, and we'll put this someplace where it can be used over and over.

i include my OTC stuff; i save every bill and highlite it so it shows up.

mileage is for every dr, getting meds, otc, chiro, etc.

iowa friend, bettyg, group leader/activist/llmd coordinaotr

08/15/2011 02:07 PM
faithful777

Betty,

Have you been able to claim otc supplements on your taxes? I asked my accountant about us claiming those items last year and was told that we can't claim anything otc, just prescription meds.

08/15/2011 02:31 PM
wlkthlne
wlkthlne  

Yes, very simple...get a note from your doctor that he recomended these OTC's....for you to take.

Do it every December before the new year...and staple all those receipts to the letter....or same folder.

I've not seen a problem with it yet..

truth be told...the way your tax form is done....you have to reach a high high high spending bracket to begin with...

so..by the time you reach that...you can kiss most of that write off anyway...

also...I think it is only 2% to some number anyway...so.....in the end...ya be lucky if it takes 100bucks off the tax bill.....

It depends on alot of factors....I remember someone tellin' me.....

the tax program(turbo tax)...it said...ok now medical expence...YOU MUST have over 7K in order to even concider writing it off.....that person was lower middle class with only two in household....

so.....Uncle sams skin on his back is still pretty thick.....(no skin off his back)

Hey, if your tax guy says NO....then so be it..if your fine with that...

wlk--

Cool

08/15/2011 03:53 PM
faithful777

I have gotten a prescription for my supplements to use on my medical spending account pre tax dollars, but my cpa says I can't claim them on federal taxes regardless if I hit the percentage or not.

08/15/2011 04:02 PM
rowergirl2010

I'm an Advocate

I got money back on supplements through my spending account. I had one the first year I was teaching. I had to submit my own claims with receipts though. So if something didn't fit I would get a letter telling me so. The link below details allowable items! It say dietary supplements when used to treat an illness. I think this qualifies.

http://www.flexiblespendingaccountsonline.com/flex-spending- account-deduction.php

08/16/2011 03:45 AM
faithful777

You are right, you can get that money back from a medical spending account/flexible spending account. If you are like my family, we go through that spending account fast. Once it is gone, you can't claim those supplements as medical tax deductions at the end of the year. Even if you can claim medical expenses that go over that certain percentage of your income, OTC supplements are not eligible to be deducted on the year end tax return. They only qualify for a medical expense account with a doctor's note or prescription.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved