MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/08/2011 06:27 AM

Flagyl important in treatment

DeanaD

I don't know if this is true, but my doctor explained this to me and I feel it important to share. (She's an LLMD)

She explained when the bacteria for Lyme are treated, they don't like it! After treatment begins some of the bacteria turn into the cystic form in order to go off, bury themselves, and wait.

When treatment is over, the cysts break back open and the infection starts all over again. I've heard of a few temporary success stories being treated with amoxicillin, but the symptoms always come back because of the above!!!

I don't know if theres been a thread on this before, but if anyone DOESN'T know it, it's worth the effort.

Also, Does anyone know if Clarithomycin is a treatment for babesia?? I started 1000mg 2x a day of amoxicillin and 500mg 2x a day of Clarithomycin (this is day 3) and I feel moderate muscle weakness and my chest is burning and I'm short of breath.

From what I understand these are symptoms of babesia but I didn't know I was being treated for that.

04/08/2011 06:43 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Yes I do believe Flagyl is a drug given for cyst busting for that very reason. Sometimes an LLMD will PULSE this med and take you off of other antibiotics for a few days or a week in order to take the flagyl.

Thus the pulsing. When you take a cyst buster it breaks those cysts open and then resuming the other antibiotics will kill the newly opened cyst monsters...

I´m not familiar with the types of meds given for all co infections but here is a link and a paste from this site.

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia- bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

Babesia

This parasitic organism can live inside the body's red blood cells for four months or more.

It usually requires a combination antibiotic treatment for a period of two to four months to effectively control the infection.

The following two medications are used in combination with a macrolide for treating Babesia.

Atovaquone (Mepron)

Bactrim or Septra (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole)

04/08/2011 06:49 AM
RL123

Clarithromycin doesn't treat Babesia. You would need Mepron or Malarone to treat. Artemisia is a natural that is a little active against it. They have made a new drug out of it called Coartem. I used it it's only a 3 day treatment and so far so good! The Clarithromycin does make it so the Babesia drugs don't build up resistance.

I agree with you on the Flagyl must get the cysts, Tinzadole can also be used.

R

04/08/2011 06:56 AM
DeanaD

I just read another post and if not babesia, I think the burning feeling and pains can be coming from neurotoxins?? Meaning I need binders and liver support, if what I'm reading is correct.

Any thoughts on this??

04/08/2011 07:10 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

OH yes it can be coming from a number of things. Bartonella will also cause this burning.

Liver support is always a good thing with lyme disease and any infection. I personally use MIlk thistle. It is really good for washing out the liver..

It does have some adverse reaction to other meds though so keep that in mind when you are making your decision on what to use. It is a natural approach that is effective though...

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono- 138-MILK%20THISTLE.aspx?activeIngredientId=138& activeIngredientName=MILK%20THISTLE

MILK THISTLE

Other Names:

Artichaut Sauvage, Blessed Milk Thistle, Cardo Lechoso, Cardui Mariae Fructus, Cardui Mariae Herba, Carduus Marianum, Carduus marianus, Chardon Argenté, Chardon de Marie, Chardon de Notre-Dame,

Chardon Marbré, Chardon-Marie, Épine Blanche, Holy ...

Artichaut Sauvage, Blessed Milk Thistle, Cardo Lechoso, Cardui Mariae Fructus, Cardui Mariae Herba,

Carduus Marianum, Carduus marianus, Chardon Argenté, Chardon de Marie, Chardon de Notre-Dame,

Chardon Marbré, Chardon-Marie, Épine Blanche, Holy Thistle, Lady's Thistle, Lait de Notre-Dame,

Legalon, Marian Thistle, Mariendistel, Mary Thistle, Our Lady's Thistle, Shui Fei Ji, Silibinin,

Silybe de Marie, Silybin, Silybum, Silybum marianum, Silymarin, St. Mary Thistle, St. Marys Thistle.

How does it work?

Milk thistle seed might protect liver cells from toxic chemicals and drugs. It also seems to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Milk thistle plant extract might enhance the effects of estrogen.

#

Some medications that are changed by the liver include amitriptyline (Elavil), diazepam (Valium),

zileuton (Zyflo), celecoxib (Celebrex), diclofenac (Voltaren), fluvastatin (Lescol), glipizide

(Glucotrol), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), irbesartan (Avapro), losartan (Cozaar), phenytoin

(Dilantin), piroxicam (Feldene), tamoxifen (Nolvadex), tolbutamide (Tolinase), torsemide (Demadex),

warfarin (Coumadin), and others.

# Medications changed by the liver (Glucuronidated Drugs) interacts with MILK THISTLE

***You can read more on the link provided. I just wanted everyone to know this before anyone tries it.

I personally have had great success.

04/08/2011 11:39 AM
DeanaD

Thanks! I went to GNC and bought a detoxifier and some charcoal. I'm going to try that for awhile.

04/08/2011 09:54 PM
JessicaRN

My doctor just gave me a prescription for a 14 day dose of Flagyl, but I am not going to start it until after I return from a trip the first week in May. She said prepare to feel bad, so it will go better if I'm at my own home.

I'm pretty new down the Lyme path, and I'm learning so much here. I'm also pleased to see that my doctor, who started as my Fibro doctor, is on point and current with what I'm reading here. After what I've been through with doctors (and I know the rest of you also), it is almost a surprise when you realize this!

04/09/2011 12:12 AM
DeanaD

After reading Bettys list of symptoms I'm trying not to diagnose myself but I'm feeling pretty strongly that Tara was right on the Bartonella. My doctor had said the apathy I was feeling is a symptom of bartonella and if I wasn't feeling better in 2 weeks, She would treat bartonella.

I'm already on 3 antibiotics. I'm a little scared to take anymore; but really don't want to wait 6 months before I feel better.

04/09/2011 12:17 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

deana,

we are inthe best positionto diagnose ourselves using this medical evidence/symptoms to help us tell our drs. on how to lead them to the same conclusion.

print off symptom lists, mark off what youhave now/recently had and take to drs.with you. they canmake a copy there for their files.

i think dr. corson's 2 articles in LYME FACTS FORUM are just outstanding: KIDS SYMPTOMS & HEADACHES where they discuss the entire body telling with co- effects which body part!

if you haven't printed off dr. burrascano's lyme treatment guidelines, i suggest youdo become familiar with this as you gothru the process of things.

best wishes.

bettyg, iowa leader

04/10/2011 07:29 AM
DeanaD

I've figure out that the burning/flushing feeling happened the worst when I took the Clarithomycin. I've stopped taking it for the weekend until I can talk to my dr.

I had a fever and SEVERE body aches yesterday and feeling like I am absolutely losing my mind. I did feel better by mid-day but my heart rate went up and I noticed I'm pretty dehydrated (I think this is because I feel so sick sometimes I can't eat, so I eat beef boullion)

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved