MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/02/2011 09:05 AM

Bicillin injection help?

OhMeshell
OhMeshell  

Hello all! I'm having a little trouble finding the information that I need. I think I'm mainly asking for reassurance, but I have a few questions as well.

My LLMD prescribed Bicillin (I think without procaine) and I finally got it from the pharmacy yesterday (FOR 530 DOLLARS! My insurance didn't cover it!).

When the doctor was explaining to me how to inject he said that he would prefer that I did it in my glute because I'm extremely thin and getting even thinner since I've gotten more sick.

He said my thigh might not have enough meat on it. Then again, when he looked at my glutes he said I don't have much there either.(A nice bit of fat, just not so much muscle, lol.)

The needle seems way too long and I don't have a fear of needles, just worried about injecting in the wrong spot.

Anyway, I know this sounds dumb but I didn't trust anyone else to do it and somehow even through my back pain I can manage to twist enough to reach the area just fine.

I finally injected it last night after freaking out for a while ("am I gonna hit my nerve? What if I get blood when I aspirate! Am I gonna forget an important step? I can do it... okay, I can do it. I got this. No no no wait. Okay I need to just do it."Wink

After bugging the crap out of my Mom who I had there for support, I finally did it. For some reason, while I was doing it, my Mom said that I kept tensing the muscle up which was why it hurt so bad. I was injecting veeery slow to avoid the pain of the medication.

After I was done, tensing up the muscle at ALL felt like someone was stabbing me. I couldn't walk for a few minutes. I limped downstairs when I could and after a while, the muscle was sore, but I could walk fine again (and actually played "Dance Central" with Kinect on Xbox to help loosen up the muscle).

Everything was good until this morning. I woke up barely able to limp to the bathroom. I'm assuming my muscle just got stiff as all my muscles do when I sleep. I feel a lot better as the time is going by but it is still pretty sore and extremely tender.

Sorry this is so long. I guess my question is if this is normal? I did it in the upper right quadrant of my right cheek as you are supposed to... I'm just afraid that I may have gone too far out towards my hip by trying to avoid the sciatic nerve.

My doctor has hit the nerve before and I have loss of feeling in my thigh as a result. It was 6 months ago and the feeling is slowly coming back now. I just didn't want to do that again!

So is it possible to go too far out? I know there are 3 different muscles there and I'm wondering if I hit the outside one instead of the one you're supposed to?

Sorry for any incoherence or redundancy, my brain has been getting worse. Thanks so much in advance for any help with this!

02/02/2011 09:37 AM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

I think you should call you doc to answer this. it isnt a silly question. I had similiar problems with magnesium injections... I made my leg numb.

My LLMD was on the injections and she said they are painful. She gives a good injection so I have to imagine its the sixe and thickness of the meds that cause the pain.

02/02/2011 09:54 AM
OhMeshell
OhMeshell  

It's definitely painful, and I did expect that. I'm just really paranoid that I'm not getting it in the right spot or maybe getting it behind or between muscles since I'm so thin... I'd probably still have the paranoia if I wasn't in this much pain. My doctor is 45 minutes away and he doesn't accept calls for questions, refills, or anything. You HAVE to make an appointment.

I know a few nurses and stuff so I might just ask them. I am planning on getting trigger point injections (just lidocaine) again, so maybe I'll just make the appointment sooner so I can ask him then. I will probably see how my next injection goes first and go from there.

Thanks for the reassurance =) =)

02/02/2011 09:57 AM
OhMeshell
OhMeshell  

I think what's worrying me is that I've gotten b12 shots which are IM too and they didn't hurt at all... But I do know that penicillin is supposed to hurt more than b12! As soon as I saw that it was a thick paste I knew it was gonna hurt lol.

I actually feel a lot better since I posted this. Gonna get back up and play Dance Central again to keep moving =).

02/02/2011 11:18 AM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

I do the B12 but they are subcutaneous and the needle is much smaller. I think an RN is a good idea or maybe your primary wouldnt mind doing injection.

I dont do my magnesium on my own I go to LLMD ix week for them.

02/02/2011 12:39 PM
OhMeshell
OhMeshell  

Ah, I didn't realize that you could do B12 subq. I wish I could do that with penicillin!

My LLMD is my pcp. I don't have the money/energy drive 45 minutes there and 45 minutes back 2 times a week to get the doctor to do it or I would. I was driving down for the B12 once a week but only for a few weeks.

If I had kept getting it I definitely would have started doing it myself because it gets expensive driving down there so much! Crap, he never gave me the papers to get my B12 checked again, he was supposed to do that last week! Grr.

Well I'll figure something out. I have no problem doing the shots myself if I'm confident with what I'm doing... I'll just have to make that appointment with him soon that way he can do the lidocaine injections and show me how to do the penicillin shot by actually giving me one instead of just explaining it. lol.

02/02/2011 02:43 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

have you read lindaca's INFUSION EBOOK?

i have noknowledge nor have i read her book, but the way i understand it is a step-by-step approach; gotten RAVE REVIEWS@

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/tips/2320592-free-ebook-infusing-for-lymies-and- cheap-meds

02/02/2011 02:56 PM
OhMeshell
OhMeshell  

No, I haven't read that, Bettyg. Thanks, though, I'll definitely do that =)

02/06/2011 08:56 PM
LymeGrandma
LymeGrandma  

I also had just started the Bicillin shots. The nurse that checked my PICC line came out and showed my hubby how.

After many hours I finally let him give it to me. I had all the fears you did. The first one was good. Yes they hurt.

What I was told is when you first put the needle in there should be no pain.

If there is pain from the needle before doing anything else pull it out and put it in a different location.

They only time it should hurt is when injecting and I don't care how slow its done it hurts.

After you should put heat on it. That seems to help a lot. The next day it always hurts more, so I just apply more heat and rub the are to get it to move threw my body.

My husband did do one were I think we should of repostioned it and I had dumbness to arms and sick that scared me. However I beleave it was just a strong herx now.

I am waiting also for my llmd to call tommorow about that.

You can also get them to mark the area of injection to you learn were it goes. A if you are small like I am you do not have to put the needle all the way in.

These are just the sugestions that my nurse gave me and they helped alot.

You are much braver than I could ever be. There is no way I could do them myself.

LymeGrandma

broke up continuous long paragraph into short 1-2 sentences max paragraphs; doublespaced after each. bettyg, iowa leader

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 02/06/2011 11:16 PM

02/06/2011 10:44 PM
OhMeshell
OhMeshell  

Haha brave? I think its more like stupid because noone can understand how I can reach back there to do it myself, lol! Thanks, though. I honestly would just rather do it myself in case whoever else were to give it to me messed up... Don't wanna put that responsibility on someoene else. Also my boyfriend and Mom said they aren't really confident enough to do it so I'm on my own lol.

I did do my second shot yesterday and it went muuuch better. I got a few PMs from others with some tips. It is good to know I don't need to put the needle in completely. I may just ask for some shorter needles next time.

I did find that heat and massage help. And you're right, it hurts no matter how slow you go. I also find that sometimes the plunger slips and squirts a little too much too quick sometimes if you're not super careful.

One person told me that its safe to let the shot warm to room temp as long as you use within 7 hours. Im sure the medicine being so cold makes the pain worse so I might try that next time.

I'm sorry to hear that you have to do the shots too and I hope you have a speedy recovery ahead of you! Thanks so much for your help!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved