MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/10/2010 10:58 PM

Thinking of being a BLOOD or ORGAN DONOR !!

Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thinking of being a Blood or Organ Donor.

bettyg note: LONG, LONG POST COVERING 5-8 YEARS!

i'm breaking up long paragraphs, bolding/underlining on important points of all replies below for extremely NEURO LYME folks like me/others! Smile

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=021835

Thinking of being a Blood or Organ Donor...

Melanie Reber

Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)

Member # 3707

posted 12-18-2003 10:17 AM

THINK again...

Detection of Borrelia burgdorferi in Host Tissues & Fluids

Bladder

Blood

Bone

Brain

Breast milk

Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)

Ear

Eye

Heart

Kidney

Ligament

Liver

Lung

Lymph nodes

Muscle

Nerve

Ovary/Testis

Plasma

Skin

Spinal cord

Spleen

Synovial (joint) fluid

Synovial (joint) membrane

Urine

Uterus

http://www.lymeinfo.net/LDSymptoms.pdf

[ 02-02-2009, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Melanie Reber ]

Melanie Reber

posted 12-18-2003 10:22 AM

Curr Opin Hematol. 2003 Nov;10(6):405-11.

Risk and prevention of transfusion-transmitted babesiosis and other tick-borne diseases.

Cable RG, Leiby DA.

American Red Cross, Connecticut Blood Services, Farmington, and University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, Connecticut 06032, USA. cabler@usa.redcross.org

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Tick-borne diseases have increasingly been recognized in the United States as public health problems.

The importance of tick-borne diseases has been accelerated by increases in animal populations, as well as increased human recreation in wooded environments that are conducive to tick bites.

Babesiosis, usually caused by the intraerythrocytic parasite, Babesia microti and transmitted by the same tick as Lyme disease, has important transfusion implications.

Although Lyme disease has not been reported from blood transfusion, newly identified tick-borne diseases such as ehrlichiosis raise additional questions about the role of the tick in transfusion-transmitted diseases.

RECENT FINDINGS: The risk of transfusion-transmitted babesiosis is higher than usually appreciated and in endemic areas represents a major threat to the blood supply.

Furthermore, the geographic range of B. microti is expanding, other Babesia spp. have been implicated in transfusion transmission in the western United States, and the movement of blood donors and donated blood components may result in the appearance of transfusion babesiosis in areas less familiar with these parasites.

Consequently, a higher degree of clinical suspicion will allow early recognition and treatment of this important transfusion complication.

SUMMARY: In endemic areas transfusion-transmitted babesiosis is more prevalent than usually believed. The extension of the geographic range of various Babesia spp. and the movement of donors and blood products around the United States has resulted in the risk extending to non-endemic areas.

Clinicians should maintain a high degree of clinical suspicion for transfusion-transmitted babesiosis.

PMID: 14564169 [PubMed - in process]

------------------

C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M

melanie@beachlovers.net

Melanie Reber

posted 12-18-2003 10:30 AM

Detection of Borrelia burgdorferi Antigen in Urine from Patients with Lyme Borreliosis:

http://www.igenex.com/luatart.htm

Viable spirochetes were recovered from RBCs inoculated with 10(6) organisms per mL, after

refrigeration for as long as 6 weeks.

It is concluded that B. burgdorferi may survive storage under blood banking conditions and that transfusion-related Lyme disease is theoretically possible.”

Survival of Borrelia burgdorferi in human blood stored under blood banking conditions.

Nadelman RB; Sherer C; Mack L; Pavia CS; Wormser GP Transfusion, 30(4):298-301. 1990.

http://www.lymeinfo.net/LDSupplement.pdf

-------------------

Lyme disease "would permanently disqualify an individual as a... blood donor"

UCSF Blood Centers, Donation Guidelines

http://pangloss.ucsfmedicalcenter.org/bloodcenters/ bcdonationpage.htm

------------------

Tick-Borne Agents and Transfusion Riskhttp://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol4no3/chambrln.htm

------------------

Melanie Reber

posted 03-01-2004 09:34 AM

Because this topic just (don) surfaced again...I am linking it to the newest discussion:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/023490.html

Thanks everyone! (and you are certainly welcome too) Melanie

Lymetoo

Member # 743

posted 03-01-2004 10:15 AM

And just think about how many undiagnosed people are giving blood as we speak.

I donated blood once about 20 yrs ago. They damaged a nerve in my arm, so I never donated again! Thank goodness, because otherwise I would have given Lyme and babesiosis to more people!

-----

Rita

Member # 26605

posted 03-01-2004 11:23 AM

When I had "fibromyalgia", I gave about a gallon and a half over the years. I've read about patients getting MS from transfusions.

Melanie Reber

posted 07-03-2004 01:27 AM

Related new discussion: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/026136.html

------------------

Video On Demand: Blood Supply May Be Source Of Lyme Disease Infectionshttp://www.ktvu.com/video/3547022/detail.html

(thanks Kerry )

Transfus Med Rev. 2004 Oct;18(4):293-306.

Transfusion-transmitted tick-borne infections: a cornucopia of threats.

Leiby DA, Gill JE.

Department of Transmissible Diseases, American Red Cross Holland Laboratory, Rockville, MD 20855, USA. leibyd@usa.redcross.org

Over the past several decades, the frequency of contact between humans and ticks has increased dramatically.

Concomitantly, several newly recognized tick-borne pathogens have emerged joining those already known to be transmitted by ticks.

Together these factors have led to an enhanced public health awareness of ticks, tick-borne agents, and their associated diseases.

Reports that several of these agents are transmitted by blood transfusion have raised concerns about blood safety.

The primary agents of interest are members of the genus Babesia,

but Anaplasma phagocytophilum,

Rickettsia rickettsii,

Colorado tick fever virus, and

tick-borne encephalitis virus also have been transmitted by transfusion.

In many cases, these agents and their diseases share common features including vectors, symptoms, and diagnosis.

Unfortunately, they also share the common problem of insufficient epidemiologic and transmissibility data necessary for making informed decisions regarding potential blood safety interventions.

Although further surveillance and epidemiologic studies of tick-borne agents are clearly needed, at present only the Babesia warrant consideration for active intervention;

because donor management strategies based on risk-factor questions are inadequate, leukoreduction not effective for agents found in red cells and pathogen inactivation remains problematic for red cell products.

Despite the present unavailability of screening assays, some form of serologic and nucleic acid testing may be justified for the Babesia.

Given that interactions between humans and ticks are likely to increase in the future, vigilance is required as new and extant tick-borne agents pose potential threats to transfusion safety.

PMID: 15497129 [PubMed - in process]

(thanks lou)

--------------|

bettyg

posted 11-28-2004 02:25 PM

Also, NOT being a tissue or bone marrow donor!

Here is more informative info from me & others on MP board; please read.

http://www.marshallprotocol.com/forum27/1153.html Betty G., Iowa

Melanie Reber

posted 01-29-2005 08:13 PM

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol9no1/02-0149.htm

Transfusion-Associated Babesiosis after Heart Transplant

More than 40 cases of transfusion-transmitted B. microti infection have been reported in the United States” (thanks Toots )

Melanie Reber

posted 02-14-2006 09:54 PM

Neonatal babesiosis: case report and review of the literature.

Fox LM, Wingerter S, Ahmed A, Arnold A, Chou J, Rhein L, Levy O.

Division of Infectious Diseases, Children's Hospital

Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.

leanne.fox@childrens.harvard.edu

A case of transfusion-associated neonatal babesiosis is presented.

Jaundice, hepatosplenomegaly, anemia and conjugated hyperbilirubinemia developed in this preterm infant.

The diagnosis was eventually made by blood smear, serology and polymerase chain reaction.

The patient was treated with clindamycin and quinine and made a favorable recovery.

Of neonatal babesiosis reported in the literature, 9 other cases are reviewed, including 6 that were transfusion-associated, 2 congenital and 2 tick transmitted.

PMID: 16462298 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher] (thanks Miss Cave )

--------------------

Jellybelly

Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)

Member # 7142

posted 06-02-2006 01:54 PM

My daughter gave birth, if you could call it that to a 26 1/2 week preemie weighing 1 lb 15 oz.

It is very important that they get breast milk and so my daughter pumped night and day to feed her little girl.

She produced so much milk that she could have feed 20 babies and the nurses were constantly asking her to donate the excess.

She refused, even though they just trashed literally gallons of milk.

At the time, we didn't know Lyme was the problem. We were sick, that we knew.

Thankfully she didn't contribute the milk and worrying about how many little ones would become sick from the contaminated milk isn't something that she will have to worry about now that we know it is Lyme and whatevr else. Worrying about her own girls is hard enough.

Melanie Reber

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search& DB=pubmed

J Parasitol. 2006 Aug;92(4):869-70.

Transfer of Borrelia burgdorferi s.s. infection via blood transfusion in a murine model.

* Gabitzsch ES,

* Piesman J,

* Dolan MC,

* Sykes CM,

* Zeidner NS.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases, Bacterial Zoonoses Branch, Foothills Campus, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522, USA.

Without antibiotic treatment, the Lyme-disease-causing bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi can be cultured from the peripheral blood of human patients nearly 6 wk post-tick bite.

To determine if Lyme disease spirochetes can be transmitted from a spirochetemic donor mouse to a naive recipient during blood transfusion, blood taken from immunocompetent infected mice was transfused into either immunodeficient

(SCID) mice, inbred immunocompetent animals (C3H/HeJ), or outbred mice.

Nine of 19 (47.7%) immunodeficient mice, 7 of 15 (46.8%) inbred immunocompetent mice, and 6 of 10 (60.0%) outbred mice became infected with B. burgdorferi after transfusion.

Our results indicate that it is possible to acquire B. burgdoferi infection via transfused blood in a mouse model of Lyme borreliosis.

PMID: 16995409 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE](thanks Cave )

Colorado Tick Feverhttp://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic586.htm

Symptoms begin roughly 4-5 days after the tick bite, although incubation periods of as long as 20 days are reported.

For the first 2 weeks of disease, free virus can be isolated from the blood.

This is followed by a period during which the virus circulates inside of erythropoietic cells.

The virus can live in the red blood cells for the life of the cell, which is roughly 120 days.

For this reason, blood donation is prohibited in patients for 6 months following infection.

Cases with prominent hepatic or CNS manifestations have been reported. Transfusion-associated cases from viremic patients have occurred.

--------------------

micul

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 6314

posted 10-13-2006 11:52 PM

Now wait a minute here! Why don't we give our organs and blood to those professionals that believe that there is no chronic Lyme Disease!

According to these designated recipients, Lyme is gone after 28 days of Tx, So they shouldn't be in any danger from those of us that have already had long term abx Tx right?

Here's a partial list of people that could take our organs:

The IDSA

Gary P. Wormser

Raymond J. Dattwyler

Eugene D. Shapiro

John J. Halperin

Allen C. Steere

Mark S. Klempner

Peter J. Krause

Johan S. Bakken

Franc Strle

Gerold Stanek

Linda Bockenstedt

Durland Fish

J. Stephen Dumler

Robert B. Nadelman

--------------------

2mag

Member # 10153

posted 10-14-2006 12:00 AM

okay so what if every lyme victem contacted the CDC and told them that they are going to donate blood (of course do not donate- for the sake of your fellow man-)flood them with calls and emails

would it cause some commotion and bring it to the news ??? 2mag

------

Cobweb posted 10-14-2006 07:35 AM

I have been permantently black balled by Red Cross for donating blood-which is a good thing, BUT my Driver's License still has me designated as a DONOR.

Wonder how I can change it to donate to science rather than transplant? Carol B

-------

Michelle M

Member # 7200

posted 10-14-2006 11:38 AM

This is a really good thread.

I like to think of it as "Ironies of Lyme Disease."

Here's a good example which positively slays me.

The IDSA and the insurance companies assure me there's no such thing as 'chronic lyme' and therefore I must be cured by now. (Yeah, right.)

Then how can it be legal to deny me health insurance as soon as I put 'lyme disease' down on my application?I mean, how can they have it both ways???

And the blood supply is another thing.

The insurance company tells me 'you get 7 days of Mepron to treat babesia WA-1 and after that, you're all better!'

But Red Cross, knowing better, says, 'Don't ever show up around here with your protozoa-infested blood!'

Again, how can they have it both ways?

Is it any wonder people hate insurance companies? And those in their service? (Micul's list is right on.)

2mag posted 10-14-2006 03:01 PM

cobweb, good point !! what a site to see ----

hospitals are harvesting lyme and babs infected organs

it would be interesting to bring this up to the organ donation banks

Marz

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 3446

posted 10-14-2006 10:11 PM

My MD, not surprisingly, like most MDs believes lyme is curable.

Even though he waited 8 months before putting me on an antibiotic I got better and was therefore "cured."

I asked him once when I was in remission a few years ago if it would be ok to donate blood and he said "sure".

I called the Red Cross and talked to a nurse just to be sure and she said "no thank you."

Wish I would have asked him why the Red Cross would refuse my blood when there's no such thing as chronic lyme! Marz

Melanie Reber

posted 10-17-2006 07:22 PM

Donating your body/organs to science

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic; f=3;t=015463

(I should thank Tincup for this...but it makes me too sad)

Melanie Reber

posted 01-12-2007 02:20 PM

Erythema migrans in solid-organ transplant recipients.

Maraspin V, Cimperman J, Lotric-Furlan S, Logar M, Ruzic-Sabljic E, Strle F.

Clin Infect Dis. 2006 Jun 15;42(12):1751-4. Epub 2006 May 5.

Department of Infectious Diseases, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia.

Six adult solid-organ transplant recipients who had chronic drug-induced immunosuppression and who presented with solitary erythema migrans were treated with antibiotics administered at the same dosage and for the same duration used for the treatment of early, localized Lyme borreliosis in immunocompetent patients.

The patients had a smooth course of illness and a favorable outcome but did not develop a measurable borrelial serum antibody response.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search& DB=pubmed

Courtesy: www.canlyme.com

posted 01-29-2007 07:52 PM

Pubmed: Tick-borne disease transmission through blood transfusion

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=051539#000015

(thanks IMA )

posted 04-20-2007 01:01 PM

Tick-Borne Disease Transmission by Blood Donation Prevalent in Endemic Areas

October 20th, 2005 9:52 am

Medscape Medical News

The need to develop strategies to prevent transmission of tick-borne disease via blood transfusion is increasing as new reports continue to surface.

Although not as much in the popular press as Lyme disease, Babesia microti is creating its own quieter havoc.

In a study presented here at the Infectious Diseases Society of America 43rd annual meeting, Megan Nguyen, BS, from the American Red Cross in Rockville, Maryland, presented data from a six-year study that showed the prevalence of B microti transmission via blood transfusion in areas where the tick is commonly found.

Examination of 13,573 samples from blood donors from 1999 to 2004 in endemic regions of Connecticut showed that 175 samples (1.3%) tested positive for B microti infection based on indirect fluorescent antibody testing.

Of these 175, 129 donors consented to participate in a three-year follow-up study in which they were tested by IFA for the presence of antibodies to B microti as well as receiving nested polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing for parasitemia on a regular basis.

Overall, 27 donors (21%) were found to have parasitemia as indicated by a positive PCR test, suggesting that some patients have persistent, ongoing infection.

In addition, parasitemia rates decreased from 55% in the first two years of the follow-up study to 3% in the third and final year.

Ms. Nguyen said the study did not show a clear reason for this, adding that many factors could account for it.

Ms. Nguyen emphasized that “anybody who has had B microti is permanently prohibited from donating blood” and is registered in the blood bank system of the Red Cross nationwide.

However, it is important to identify those people infected with B microti prior to blood donation.

According to Ms. Nguyen, most of the transfusion-related transmission occurs through people who are infected with the tick-borne disease but who are asymptomatic.

Identifying infected people before they donate blood is therefore an important goal in reducing the risk of transfusion-related B microti transmission, but the best way to do this is not yet clear, she said.

Richard Whitley, MD, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Alabama in Birmingham who moderated the session, told Medscape that prospective blood donors are not currently screened routinely for tick-borne diseases, an issue that needs to be addressed by local blood banks.

However, Ms. Nguyen told Medscape she is hopeful “that there will be screening” or a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for testing before donation.

Unfortunately, she added, she does not know of any test under investigation for FDA approval.

---------------

TerryK

posted 04-20-2007 01:13 PM

Thanks for posting this Melanie. Wow, that seems like a high percentage. Very frightening. I wonder how many people I infected before I became too ill to give blood?

I often see fibromyalgia groups talking about giving blood and I cringe at the thought because I have no doubt that some of them will be passing on infection.

If I ever need blood I don't know what I'll do. I certainly couldn't get it from my family since almost all are sick and probably infected. Terry

--------------------

Melanie Reber

posted 04-22-2007 10:29

Good morning Terry,

I too struggle with the moral consequences of giving blood before I knew I was infected.

Thank Goodness, I was very bad at it, and the Blood Bank basically told me not to bother again.

As far as receiving blood for a medical emergency…it is always a gamble. [b]But, if you know you are going in for a procedure, you can begin to store up your OWN blood in advance. Not a really great choice is it?

Hey CBL,

You ask a very good question that has been raised here before. It is my personal belief that we should NEVER donate any organs, tissue or blood for use on others.

There have been studies where TBDs have been contracted with all of the above into a healthy patient.

Now, having said that…IF I had to make the choice of going without a critical organ, I think I would take my chances and receive an infected one vs. none at all.

Then, there could at least be a possibility of treatment working on the infected organ…and the possibility of living vs. not.

This was accomplished with one case report of an infected patient. I don't know if any follow-up was completed…but temporarily, at least, the patient did “recover from the newly acquired infection”.

It is my fervent hope and intent, down the road, that we will be able to set up proper donation channels for TBD infected patients; either for living transplant, or postmortem research.[/b]

--------------------

posted 05-11-2007 10:07 PM

Evidence of Borrelia burgdorferi in a Blood Donor

Presented at the International Conference on Emerging Infectious Diseases 2000 (July ,2000,Atlanta)

Abstract: HCV-Blood Safety – 4

S. J. Badon1, R. G. Cable1, J. Aslanzadeh

1. American Red Cross Connecticut Region, Farmington, CT; 2. UCONN, John Dempsey Hospital, Farmington, CT

It has been demonstrated that Borrelia burgdorferi, the etiologic agent of Lyme disease, can be cultured from blood.

The period of spirochetemia appears to be brief.

Although Borrelia burgdorferi can survive under blood bank storage conditions transfusion transmission has not been demonstrated.

Herein we describe the isolation of Borrelia burgdorferi in a second Connecticut blood donation.

The blood donor was a 41 year old female with a questionable tick exposure. A day after blood donation she noted a bulls eye lesion over her side.

She went to her physician and a clinical diagnosis of Lyme disease was made and she was treated with antibiotics.

Serologic testing for Lyme disease was not performed. The donor notified the blood center and the donation was quarantined, sent for PCR analysis.

PCR was performed with a primer set for OSP A on the blood donation. The results were positive.

This finding is the second case in Connecticut and further supports the possibility that it may be possible to transmit Borrelia burgdorferi in a blood transfusion.

However, since the spirochetemic phase of infection appears to be brief, the likelihood of transmission is low.

Nevertheless, it is expected that transfusion transmitted Lyme disease will be identified in the future. (thanks Ann OH )

posted 05-12-2007 01:00 AM

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever caused by blood transfusion.

Wells GM, Woodward TE, Fiset P, Hornick RB.

JAMA. 1978 Jun 30;239(26):2763-5 PMID: 418193

Transfusion of 500 ml of blood, contributed by a donor three days before the onset of Rocky Mountain spotted fever and refrigerated for nine days, caused this disease in the recipient.

The blood donor DIED of Rocky Mountain spotted fever after six days; rickettsia were identified in various tissues by immunofluorescence techniques.

The recipient of the blood became mildly ill and recovered fully; specific antibiotic treatment was initiated on the fourth day of illness.

Diagnosis of Rocky Mountain spotted fever was confirmed in the recipient by positive serologic reactions and isolation of Rickettsia rickettsii from blood after inoculation in animals and tissue culture.

---------

posted 01-28-2008 12:36 PM

Proceedings of a consensus conference: pathogen inactivation-making decisions about new technologies.

Webert KE, Cserti CM, Hannon J, Lin Y, Pavenski K, Pendergrast JM, Blajchman MA.

Medical, Scientific, and Research Affairs, Canadian Blood Services, Hamilton, Edmonton and Toronto, Canada. webertk@mcmaster.ca

Significant progress has been made in reducing the risk of pathogen transmission to transfusion recipients.

Nonetheless, there remains a continuing risk of transmission of viruses, bacteria, protozoa, and prions to recipients.

These include many of the viruses for which specific screening tests exist as well as pathogens for which testing is currently not being done,

including various species of bacteria, babesiosis, variant Creutzfeld-Jacob disease, hepatitis A virus, human herpes virus 8, chikungunya virus, Chagas disease, and malaria.

Pathogen inactivation (PI) technologies potentially provide an additional way to protect the blood supply from emerging agents and also provide additional protection against both known and as-yet-unidentified agents.

However, the impact of PI on product quality and recipient safety remains to be determined.

The purpose of this consensus conference was to bring together international experts in an effort to consider the following issues with respect to PI:

implementation criteria;

licensing requirements;

blood service and clinical issues;

risk management issues;

cost-benefit impact; and

research requirements.

These proceedings are provided to make available to the transfusion medicine community the considerable amount of important information presented at this consensus conference.

PMID: 18063190 [PubMed - in process] (thanks TC )

------------

Tracy9

Member # 7521

posted 01-28-2008 11:31 PM

Not only did the Red Cross not ASK my son if he had Lyme or Babs when he very recently donated blood at his high school, when I called their 800 number to tell them he did, NO ONE EVER CALLED ME BACK.

I told them it was important, his blood should not be used, but it is just an answering service or something that takes your name and number, and they NEVER called back.

So now someone is walking around with his blood, oh and by the way, we live in CT, kind of an endemic area, I would say.

----------

Melanie Reber

posted 01-29-2008 01:02 AM

That is pretty pathetic, Tracy. I hope someone was paying attention, and did something but just didn't call you about it. (one can hope)

-----------

Tracy9

posted 01-29-2008 02:53 AM

Well they never even took my son's name or where he had donated; it was a national 800 number; so they couldn't have done anything.

------------

Keebler

Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)

Member # 12673

posted 01-29-2008 03:09 AM

Cobweb ,

Yeah, my driver's license has a permanent "donor" mark, too . . . started long before I knew I shouldn't

I asked about that at the DMV for the last renewal and they said that other papers would have to be in place and that family would have to OK donation. As long as family knew it was not longer safe to do so, their should be no problem.

What we have on our emergency/ final instructions is what matters..

--------------

Melanie Reber

posted 03-10-2008 10:38 PM

FDA/CDC WARN AGAINST BLOOD DONATIONS BY THOSE POSSIBLY EXPOSED TO TICK-BORNE ILLNESSES

"These establishments need to be informed that these National Guardsmen may have been exposed to tick-borne pathogens which could possibly be transmitted through blood transfusion.

If notified, blood establishments should take immediate steps to retrieve the potentially affected blood and blood components intended for transfusion."

http://archives.foodsafety.ksu.edu/fsnet/1997/7-1997/fs-07- 22-97-01.txt (thanks TC )

----------

posted 09-04-2008 04:47 PM

http://www.fda.gov/cber/meetings/ttb091208.htm

"We are convening this workshop at the present time because FDA has observed a recent increase in the number of reports of transfusion-transmitted babesiosis..."

"...During the last 40 years, more than 60 cases of transfusion-transmitted babesiosis have been recognized in the United States.

In years 2006 and 2007, FDA received a total of five reports of FATAL transfusion-transmitted babesiosis (primary or contributory cause of death) in the United States..."(thanks ldfighter )

-----------

posted 11-02-2008 10:39 PM

Anaplasma phagocytophilum Transmitted Through Blood Transfusion --- Minnesota, 2007

Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, October 24, 2008

MMWR 57(42);1145-1148

Anaplasma phagocytophilum, a gram-negative, obligate intracellular bacterium of neutrophils, causes human anaplasmosis, a tickborne rickettsial disease formerly known as human granulocytic ehrlichiosis.

In November 2007, the Minnesota Department of Health was contacted about A. phagocytophilum infection in a hospitalized Minnesota resident who had recently undergone multiple blood transfusions.

Subsequent investigation indicated the infection likely was acquired through a transfusion of red blood cells.

This report describes the patient's clinical history and the epidemiologic and laboratory investigations.

Although a previous case of transfusion-transmitted anaplasmosis was reported, this is the first published report in which transfusion transmission of A. phagocytophilum was confirmed by testing of the recipient and a donor. (thanks Rick)

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=020857

posted 11-08-2008 12:39 PM

Bartonella henselae survives after the storage period of red blood cell units: is it transmissible by transfusion?

Author(s)

Magalhães RF, Pitassi LH, Salvadego M, de Moraes AM, Barjas-Castro ML, Velho PE

Institution

Department of Medical Clinic, Dermatology Division.

Source

Transfus Med 2008 Oct; 18(5):287-91.

Abstract

Bartonella henselae is the agent of cat scratch disease and bacillary angiomatosis.

Blood donors can be asymptomatic carriers of B. henselae and the risk for transmission by transfusion should be considered.

The objective of this study was to demonstrate that B. henselae remains viable in red blood cell (RBC) units at the end of the storage period.

Two RBC units were split into two portions. One portion was inoculated with B. henselae and the other was used as a control. All units were stored at 4 degrees C for 35 days.

Aliquots were collected on a weekly basis for culture in a dish with chocolate agar, ideal for the cultivation of this agent.

Samples were collected on days 1 and 35 and taken for culture in Bact/Alert(R) blood culture bottles.

Aliquots taken simultaneously were fixed in Karnovsky's medium for subsequent electron microscopy evaluation.

Samples from infected bags successfully isolated B. henselae by chocolate agar culture, although Bact/Alert(R) blood culture bottles remained negative.

Bartonella spp. structures within erythrocytes were confirmed by electron microscopy.

The viability of B. henselae was demonstrated after a storage period of RBC units.

These data reinforce the possibility of infection by transfusion of blood units collected from asymptomatic blood donors.

Language eng

Pub Type(s) Journal Article

PubMed ID 18937735

-----------

posted 01-17-2009 05:43 PM

The National Marrow Donor Program

"Other conditions that may prevent registration are

having a serious bleeding problem,

a serious breathing problem such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD),

heart disease,

hepatitis B or C,

serious or chronic kidney problems,

Lyme disease, or

having active pulmonary tuberculosis (TCool within 2 years of potential registration."

http://www.healthnews.com/disease-illness/healthnews- salutes-the-national-marrow-donor-program-2459.html

liesandmorelies

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 15323

posted 01-17-2009 06:02 PM

Of course we should not donate blood or organs, unless of course it is for Lyme research etc...

But, I do find it interesting that the mainstream does not think our disease can be chronic once treated with short course of abx, and yet at the same time they tell us that we are not supposed to donate blood! HUH????

Why would we not be able to donate if the IDSA's recommended treatment plan works so well???

I Sure would like to give Steere et' all, some of my blood. They are full of _ _ _ _!!!!! aka: Lyme Warrior

bettyg posted 01-18-2009 02:24 AM

stop,

i used address label to show NO ORGAN DONOR on my driver's license, and contacted the blood registry, etc. to DELETE MY FORMER REQUEST to donate anything!!

CHECK YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE TO SEE WHAT IT SAYS ... CHANGE IT TO "NO" DONATIONS. thanks!

---------

mustluvdogs

Member # 18273

posted 02-02-2009 04:53 PM

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that as soon as I found out I had it, I called the Red Cross because they used to call me for my blood all the time.

I told them they had to track down who received my blood and they said they would. I hope they do. I feel awful about that.

I can't give blood for a year. I would think they need to screen for that too. Good post

-------------

tickssuck

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 15388

posted 02-02-2009 05:36 PM

Yes, another HUGE problem when we don't get diagnosed, among a laundry list of others.

I still feel horrible as I donated blood at least 6 times while I was acutely sick, but of course, docs couldn't find anything wrong with me.

I had no idea I was carrying infected blood etc. I just knew something was terribly wrong with me.

Having Lyme, Babesia, Ehrlichia, Bartonella, Mycoplasma....I feel terrible about this and have cried about it more than once. I have called the Red Cross as well to inform them.

When will the medical community ever wake up??? It's just crazy. TS

Geneal

Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)

Member # 10375

posted 02-02-2009 05:48 PM

You can't donate ever in Louisiana if you've

Ever been diagnosed with babesia either.

For Lyme the stipulation is to be without the disease for 5 years Prior to donating again.

Ah well. I had Hepatitis A when I was 17.

I never was eligible to donate.

Melanie Reber

posted 05-02-2009 02:02 PM

Babesiosis Acquired through Blood Transfusion, California, USA

Van Ngo Comments to Author and Rachel Civen

Author affiliation: Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Los Angeles, CA, USA

CDC Dispatch Volume 15, Number 5–May 2009

Babesiosis was documented in a man with metastatic CANCER who resided in an area nonendemic for B. microti.

On the basis of laboratory and epidemiologic information, we concluded that the patient acquired the infection via transfusion of infected PRBCs donated in a disease-endemic area thousands of miles away.

The 12-day period from donation to transfusion was within the maximum 35 days that B. microti has been known to remain viable in refrigerated blood (7).

The period from time of transfusion exposure until positive smear was ≈6 weeks; incubation periods for transfusion-related cases have ranged from weeks to many months (B. Herwaldt, pers. comm.)http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/15/5/785.htm

--------------------

pippifern

Member # 11564

posted 08-03-2009 10:49 PM

Bone Marrow Donation

I went to a bone marrow registration drive the other night. I didn't know if our stem cells would be viable to use for this purpose.

The paperwork this organization provided was that it was o.k. to be a donor if you have been successfully treated for Lyme...

That's a tricky one, isn't it?? Who's to say what successful means?

--------------------

KorkerMom

Member # 21418

posted 08-03-2009 11:33 PM

this makes me so sick. The backwards thinking of the medical community!

Like so many of you said, they won't treat us or take us seriously, but then they are adament about NOT using our organs or blood!

I used to sell my plasma to pay for college, which would have been after my Lymes. I only know that now, but boy does it make me feel bad.

When I had surgery I got to donate my own blood. It makes me sad that should my children ever need it, I wouldnt be able to help them

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 11/11/2010 12:54 AM

11/13/2010 12:09 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

2006 The National Lyme Disease Memorial Park Project

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/25999

steve1906

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 16206

posted 11-12-2010 10:36 PM

http://www.lymememorial.org/Additional_Information.htm

the above is additional info showing some of the many who have died from lyme/co-infections/ALS, etc

it's brief telling about their lives and how long each had lyme or whatever with some photos too.

please read some day; see what they did for the lyme movement awareness. Smile thanks all

01/26/2012 04:25 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Transfusion Results Same for Stored, Fresh Red Cells

By Shalmali Pal, Contributing Editor, MedPage Today

Published: January 21, 2012

Reviewed by Dori F. Zaleznik, MD; Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston and

Dorothy Caputo, MA, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, Nurse Planner

The duration of red blood cell storage did not adversely affect outcomes in ventilated patients receiving transfusions, according to a small randomized trial.

There was no difference in short-term pulmonary, immunologic, or coagulation status between 50 patients who received fresh red blood cells (median storage of four days) and 50 who received standard-issue red blood cells (median storage duration of 26.5 days), reported Daryl Kor, MD, from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and colleagues in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

Specifically, there was no difference in the primary outcome of change in pulmonary gas exchange -- assessed by the partial pressure of arterial oxygen to fraction of inspired oxygen concentration ratio -- at 2.5 ± 49.3 for fresh cells versus -9.0 ± 69.8 for standard-issue cells (P=0.22).

■This Mayo Clinic double-blind, randomized trial of the use of fresh versus usual-storage red blood cell units in ventilated patients found no differences in early pulmonary, immunologic, or coagulation parameters.

■Note that each patient received only a single unit of packed red blood cells and that storage times differed, with a median of four days for fresh cells and 26.5 days for standard-issue cells.

The duration of red blood cell storage has been linked to an increased risk of transfusion-related pulmonary complications, Kor's group wrote. Mechanistic data have outlined alterations in red blood cells during storage.

"These alterations have been purported to potentially influence the recipient's respiratory and immunologic response to the transfused blood product," they wrote.

To test this theory, the researchers conducted a double-blind clinical trial in which they enrolled 100 patients and randomized them to a single unit of either fresh red blood cells or standard-issue red blood cells.

The majority of patients in the standard-issue group received a red blood cell unit that had been stored for more than 21 days.

Most of the patients received an ABO-and-Rh-identical red blood cell unit, while the reminder received an ABO-and-Rh-compatible unit. There was no difference in the proportion of patients who received nonidentical, ABO-compatible red blood cells (18% for fresh cohort versus 12% for standard issue cohort, P=0.40).

The mean standard deviation from the initiation of intervention red blood cell transfusion to the post-transfusion measurements was 1.8 ± 0.46 hours for the fresh blood cohort and 1.9 ± 0.63 hours for the standard-issue group (P=0.59).

In addition to the lack of difference in the primary outcome, there were no significant differences seen for immunologic status, including interleukin-8 and C-reactive protein, or coagulation status.

The authors noted that median tidal volumes following red blood cell transfusion were similar in the two groups: 7.7 ml/kg per predicted body weight (PBW) for the fresh cohort, versus 7.5 ml/kg per PBW for the standard-issue group (P=0.23).

Finally, there were no significant differences in intermediate outcomes, such as new or progressive transfusion-related acute lung injury (P=0.62) or organ failures (P=0.80).

However, the authors cautioned that the study was not sufficiently powered to adequately evaluate these particular endpoints.

The study had other limitations: It was done at a single center, tertiary-care facility in a small patient population.

Also, the follow-up period was short, so delayed responses to the transfused red blood cell units were not identified.

The investigators noted that their results differed from earlier study results that have found storage duration and adverse clinical outcomes; one possible reason is that patients in this study received a similar red blood cell dose, while earlier researchers did not adjust for dose, they suggested.

Also, pre-storage leukocyte reduction was used for all red blood cell units transfused -- including fresh ones -- in this study, and this has been shown to lessen the accumulation of bioactive substances, they explained.

The study offers proof that larger clinical trials randomizing patients to fresh red blood cell units or prolonged storage units are ethical and possible, the authors concluded.

The study was funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health and the department of critical care medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine.

No author disclosures were provided.

Primary source: American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine

Source reference:

Kor DJ, et al "Fresh red blood cell transfusion and short-term pulmonary, immunologic, and coagulation status: A randomized clinical trial" Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2012.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/HospitalBasedMedicine/ GeneralHospitalPractice/30778?utm_medium=email& utm_campaign=DailyHeadlines&utm_source=

rebekah rabinowitz - Jan 24, 2012

I wonder if this information carries over to patients that require chronic transfusions. Our Sickle Cell Disease population gets "fresh" prbc's

© 2012 Everyday Health, Inc. All rights reserved.

03/30/2012 12:41 PM
cek226

Blood seems to be more available and easier to match than organs and bone marrow, so perhaps there is no reason to risk blood donors having a tick borne illness, however, it seems that in cases of organs or bone marrow, the life or death nature and small probability of finding a match may mean a lyme infected donor is preferable to no donor at all. The Lyme that is contracted can be treated far more easily than liver failure or leukemia.

I think it should be left to the recipient and their physician to decide if the risk of contracting lyme etc. is acceptable when considering the patients condition.

Now, the fact that the national bone marrow donor registry, for example, so clearly prohibits chronic lyme, is interesting. Someone should call and ask if they can be in the registry, saying they went to their doctor to check for any prohibited conditions and were told chronic lyme doesn't exist and therefore they have no way of knowing if they have it : )

I think the prohibition clearly shows that if not politics, science is at least on the side of it existing. Also, I'm sure insurance companies don't want to incur the costs of treating the recipient for chronic lyme...even though they are telling patients it doesn't exist in the same breath.

03/30/2012 03:21 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

cek,

i can tell you are brand new to this; so sorry; i disagree with almost every thing you stated above.

TOO MANY ILLITERATE LYME/VECTOR-BORNE DRS. OUT THERE!

pj langhoff's ALL IN YOUR HEAD, book either 1 or 2 has a story there about a hospital patient getting a blood transfusion; she ended up with lyme; OTHER HAVE TOO with lyme and/or co-infections.

so not spendign any more time on this. for a 1st time poster; looks like you are here to steere, pun intended, up trouble.

so folks don't waste your time/energy on this when we can be helping folks.

bettyg, leader

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 03/30/2012 03:23 PM

06/11/2012 01:34 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved