MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/16/2008 11:54 AM

Rocephin vs. Penicillin G IV

Juelz1981
Juelz1981  

Hey Everyone,

I have been on Rocephin IV for 7 weeks now and I'm getting a little frustrated that I am not feeling much better, in fact I feel generally worse. I know to expect Herx, but I just don't know if this is working...

Last summer I did Bicillin LA IM injections 3X a week for 4 or 5 months and felt great with little herxheimer! And I was positive on more Igenex bands then I am now. But I really had high anxiety about the injections as they are very painful and decided to stop.

I am wondering how long it took for some of you to feel better on Rocephin? How long should I give it? My doctor said let's give it 6 weeks and then see...

Has anyone done IV Penicillin G? I'm wondering if I would have a better result since I did so well on the Bicillin LA??

I will also be adding Biaxin to my mix orally in the next week... not looking forward to that at all.

This is so damn frustrating! Arghhhhh! Dizzy

10/16/2008 12:32 PM
Jenn56
Jenn56  

Hey i had the pic for 3 months,i also was on Rocephin.I was in pretty bad shap,i mean couldnt walk,talk,ihad lost over 20 pounds,so theY had put me in the hosp,and i stayed for 8 days,and thats when they put the pic,after the fIrst 3 wks i felt alot better,But the 3rd month started to get very sick again,So we tryed Ceftin ,but he kept thepic in just in case,The Ceftin was amazing,so we went ahead and took the pic out,But 2 years later and im still on abxs,and the last month in really bad shape again,So the pic may have to go back in,,,i do no of other people that had the pic,but it wasnt rocephin i cant remember what it was,,sorry my brain is in a fog today,,,

Post edited by: Jenn56, at: 10/16/2008 12:33

10/16/2008 12:40 PM
momnace

Hi <

I am in my 13th week of IV rocephin with oral Tindamax. I was originally infected in 2004. My whole body has only gotten better while on the IV PICC line but I have NEVER herxed . The dr in Tampa now has be finishing this week and then taking 2 weeks off the meds and then doing another 2 weeks. I guess to see if I am ok with the IV meds. We shall see.

Do you take anything orally too?

10/16/2008 12:51 PM
Juelz1981
Juelz1981  

I am taking Actigal (to prevent Gallstones that Rocephin can cause), I am also taking Nystatin to prevent yeast overgrowth. I am not taking any oral abx right now, but will start Biaxin this week, probably on Sunday.

I also take Milk Thistle, Mega Pro Biotic, Magnesium, Fish Oil, B-12 shots, and Mundipur which is a detox liquid for your lymph nodes, although it tastes awful so I don't do it as much as I should.

Momnace - funny how you don't have any herx... I was like that on Bicillin LA. I totally feel like dog buttocks daily. My 4th week was the worst... I actually felt pretty good one day last week, now I feel like butt again.

UGH!

10/16/2008 03:21 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Julez

Several years ago I did Bicillan injections...we had to transfer to baby needles...really was like pushing elmers glue! But I too did great! Just a literal pain in the arsh! Wink

I know that Rocephin is still used quite a bit - but if you are not getting anywhere i wonder if it is because you are needing something that penetrates the body's tissue better. Now I am quoting an older study - AND I put the call in to my mom to find all this info that i quote...but Rocephin is great for killing what is in the blood - but doesnt penetrate the tissue. When I say it is an old study - going back to the early 90's...Biaxin can pass the blood brain barrier, so you should feel something there.

If you have the option - if I had the option - knowing that the bicillan worked, i'd go for it (penicillan). But that is just me...especially if the line is in anyway. But do your research. Orals just may be better suited at this point for you depending upon where the buggers are hiding.

Zithromax penetrates the tissue and stays in the body for 72 hrs, Flagyl is good - just dont drink alcohol...and as far as I can tell - I havent asked, but I am the only one i know who has done Rifampin (my sis did it too) - really strong abx - used for TB - but can really kick this in the butt - but expect strong herxes too...I guess I am an old timer so I just want a BIG kick no matter the cost to my body -

OOOpppps back to you. Go with your gut hun! Do the research - Julie here just today posted a link for checking out side effects (Julie??? I cant remember where it is??? Wink )

Anywho....hope this helps a little...Good luck with your decision, and feel better soon!

Oh Oh - half your weight in ounces of water daily - plain water will help with the detox.

Christine

10/16/2008 03:22 PM
tomro62
tomro62  

Juelz,

I didn't have a herx on the Rocephin either, but some symptoms went away after 6 months, which is when I stopped.

Some people never have a herx.

It is a common belief that you must have a herx to be getting better, but you don't. Sometimes it just takes longer.

I found the most significant impovement when the doctor had me take Alinia with the IV Rocephin. Alinia is an anti-protozoal, and works on the cyst form of Bb.

Tom

10/20/2008 11:02 PM
tmbro22
tmbro22  

I've been on IV Rocephin for 12 weeks, and I am not getting much better. I am seeing a new doctor this coming week, my first LLMD. I am sure my treatment regimine will change. I havne't herxed either, but I also haven't experienced much improvement. I think it has something to do with the abx's ability to cross the blood-brain barrier, and what bacteria load you have where. I think I need to be on something that is better at crossing the blood-brain barrier. IDK. . . I hate that I have to know all of this stuff.

10/21/2008 09:57 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Had a conversation with my mom about the IV Rocefin treatment...

She said, you dont remember years ago - Doc said that 33 wks were not enough...she thought he misunderstood her when she said i did 3 wks of it and couldnt figure out if i was better or not. No - he didnt misunderstand - as not only was 33 wks not enough - but 54 or 56 wks wasnt either.

tmbro22 - blood brain barrier is key - Biaxin can pass through. Plaquinal is a drug that helps the abx penetrate tissue better....

Rocefin doesnt penetrate tissue...Lyme is not Blood-Borne - thus the need for abx cocktails & alt therepies...

I am with you - having to know all this stuff is just rediculous...

02/13/2010 05:28 PM
nolegator

I am surprised at the amount of time many of you have been on Rocephin. I only recently found out I have Lyme (after mysterious, undiagnosed symptoms for 10+ years) and I just started Rocephin IV yesterday. My Igenex results persuaded a traditionally trained Infectious Disease doc to try me on the Rocephin daily for 4 weeks.

My questions to you all: How damaging is daily Rocephin? Is that what you are taking? Is 4 weeks enough to make a difference?

This doc is not an LLMD, so I believe she is stepping out of her comfort zone. I'm not sure how I will get more time if I need it or how I will know if I need more time on the Rocephin. I am bouncing between the LLMD who is not on my insurance and the ID who is but who is extremely skeptical about this. I welcome your advice.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved