MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/09/2008 12:15 PM

Anyone tried a "Myers Cocktail?"

PegB

It's an IV drip of vitamins and minerals. I had one at the doc's office yesterday---took about an hour and 20 min. I didn't feel much yesterday after having it administered but today I feel pretty darn good. Hard to know, though if it's the treatment or not since good and bad days alternating is my norm. Just wondering what other's experiences with it were? Thanks.

10/09/2008 01:40 PM
tomro62
tomro62  

PegB,

I hate to be seem the naysayer all the time, but there are combinations of vitamins and minerals that can function the same as an energy drink, so to speak.

A dose of Vitamin C can give you energy, but it will wear off in a couple of hours. My doc gave me a combo of Vitamin C and some liquid. He told me that whenever I felt fatigued, to put a drop on the Vitamin C and put it under my tongue and I would get almost instant energy...but it wore off in an hour...so I stopped doing it, because I couldn't see the use in it.

Having said that, if this IV the doc gave you makes you feel better, then that's great. It's an individual decision, to be sure.

Tom

10/09/2008 01:56 PM
PegB

Tom, "naysay away," lol. Really, I'm looking for honest feedback. I do a lot of my own research but I like the give and take with folks on the forum here--I've learned a lot...

I think I'll try another one or two and see how it goes. If it's something that helps...but it's $100 a pop, so if it isn't really the reason I feel good today...

10/10/2008 07:32 AM
tomro62
tomro62  

You know, that's a good way to look at it. Try it, see if it's really helping. If it's not, then you just stop.

My doc wanted my to do Vitamin C IVs, but I said no, I'm not traveling an hour and a half through heavy traffic once a week for an "energy boost". The time and expense do not support the short term benefits I would receive.

Like we always say here, it's different for each person....

Be well, Peg.

Tom

10/10/2008 09:47 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

The thing about Vit C is that your body will one absorb so much anyway, when it hits its limit - that's it the rest you flush.

However, there are some treatments like Chelation, where vit and mins are used and they help. My grandfather had 2 strokes and shouldnt have lived long after the 2nd. But he went for chelation, and they did heavy doses of garlic (man did he stink after), but it gave him an extra 7 years.

But we do have to keep in mind that our bodies are a natural thing, so they are designed to process food in a specific way - food in its natural form is best digested and all the nutrients are absorbed to the max. That is why a diet high in Fruits and Veggies can be more beneficial then anything...but it is hard - we can be so picky when it comes to taste. and of course the big road block $$$$$.

There are whole food supplements that once you are on them and take religiously, they start to correct your body...and things get better - but they take time.

I say, you have to do what works best for you - and sometimes that means dealing with the immediate - and then addressing the long term. Just make sure you understand what is in the IV, and understand how it is that these work. And of course track your progress...

Hope this helps

Christine

10/10/2008 10:55 AM
tomro62
tomro62  

Very sensible thoughts. Thanks Christine!

Tom

10/10/2008 03:44 PM
Willo
Willo  

This is a great thread, thank you everyone for the info. I've been dealing with gastroparesis (which means slowed-to-stopped digestion, thank you TBIs) and it's impossible for me to get the right amount of nutrition. A Meyer's Cocktail is what my LLMD is considering.

I also used to have Vit C with Hydrogen Peroxide infusions.. I absolutely loved them. While I would have what appeared to be a mini-herx in the middle of the infusion.. the end result was I walked out of the clinic when before the infusion I had to roll in on my wheelchair. Had energy for a good 2-3 days, much less Lyme fog.. it was a great supportive therapy for me.

But yes, they were expensive and I couldn't keep on paying $$$'s every month. I also thought Vit C and antibiotics aren't compatible, which is another reason I didn't continue with the infusions.

Ack, I'm babbling. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the info in this thread!

Willo

10/11/2008 07:41 AM
tomro62
tomro62  

The Vitamin C gave you energy, which is what it is good at. I'm pretty sure the Hydrogen Peroxide did nothing for you, and it is widely reported that it is more dangerous than theraputic.

The Myers cocktail is not right for everyone, so you have to be

careful. Make sure you are told everything that is in it (beacuse some docs mix different things).

If you have low blood pressure, don't do it. The magnesium in it makes you hypotensive and can lead to fainting, even in people with normal blood pressure.

Always know what is being put in to your body, and whether it is compatible with your other treatments. Follow that and you should be okay.

Be well.

Tom

10/13/2008 09:37 PM
janet209
janet209  

Tom, thank you for explaining something that has been seriously perplexing to me. My doc had me do the Myers zcocktail once and I felt horrible! Guess what--- I have low blood pressure and always have. My doc was confused by my reaction and has tried several times to get me to try it again. Now I understand it and we all know knowledge is a good thing! Love this group! Thanks again tom!

10/14/2008 11:29 AM
tomro62
tomro62  

You are welcome, Janet.

I read up on the Myers cocktail and it's history is rooted in wound-healing, which Vitamin C is really good for.

The actual cocktail was not developed by Dr. Myers, who it is named after, rather than by a follower of his who developed it after the death of Dr. Myers in the mid 1980's...and "honored" him with his name.

Dr. Meyers practiced here in Baltimore, and would give IV Vitamin C and a one or two other supplements to help patients recover from wounds, surgery and the like.

Besides the low blood pressure side-effect, people often get a "flushed" feeling that starts in the chest, and moves throughout the body. Women experience this more than men, and for some reason, their experience is more intense. The flushed feeling in women usually takes a "southern route", and some doctors have reported that women have actually had...well...orgasms, while on the cocktail.

Let's see the Surgeon General put that on a warning label...LOL.

Tom

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved