MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/01/2010 12:01 AM

Coping With SCIATICA PAIN suggestions for RELIEF!

Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

ealth Tip: Coping With Sciatica Pain

Suggestions to help get relief

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/ fullstory_99283.html

HealthDay

By Diana Kohnle

Thursday, May 27, 2010

(HealthDay News) --

Sciatica, caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve, leads to pain that may radiate down the lower back, hip, thigh and leg.

The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests these remedies that may help ease sciatica pain:

Allow yourself plenty of time and rest.

Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), such as ibuprofen or aspirin.

Apply a heating pad or cold pack.

Engage in light physical activity -- as much as is comfortable. Activity helps to reduce inflammation.

If your doctor approves, consider physical therapy.

Your doctor may prescribe injection of a cortisone-like drug to help reduce inflammation.

HealthDay

Copyright (c) 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Date last updated: 28 May 2010

06/01/2010 11:59 AM
zoemajik
zoemajik  

Thank you for posting this, Betty!

Anyone who suggests OTC pain relievers for sciatica has obviously never had it. Tongue

It's like suggesting aspirin for Lyme pain, really...

Exercise has been the best therapy for me. I have to exercise in a chair sometimes, but it's worth it.

I'm walking around more than I have in several years, despite the occasional sciatica flare.

There are specific exercises that can target and relieve the nerve throbbing.

One is called the anal lock - hilarious but true and it works. Contracting the sphincter muscle and holding for several seconds, two sets of 25 reps, a few days a week.

And any exercises that target your core and strengthen low back to ease pressure off the nerve.... a good P.T. should be able to give someone a good program.

Cardio, even low impact, can aggravate it if you're not strong; strength and mobility training is probably a good starting point, along with stretching.

When I worked for a chiropractor, I knew some sciatica patients who found relief through chiro, too.

And NO STEROID INJECTIONS for Lymies!

I had injections for my back/leg before I knew I had Lyme. They didn't help, anyway. Never again!

Cool Cool

Post edited by: zoemajik, at: 06/01/2010 12:01 PM

08/19/2011 10:51 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

SCIATIC - Piriformis Syndrome

What is piriformis syndrome?

Your piriformis (say: “peer-ee-form-us”) muscle runs from your lower spine to the top of your thigh bone.

Piriformis syndrome occurs when this muscle presses on your sciatic nerve (the nerve that goes from your spinal cord to your buttocks and down the back of each leg). This can cause pain and numbness in your lower body.

What are the symptoms of piriformis syndrome?

The most common symptom of piriformis syndrome is sciatica.

This term describes pain, tingling or numbness that starts in your buttocks and runs down the back of your leg. Sciatica may start as an intense, burning pain deep in the buttocks.

The pain gets worse during activities that cause the piriformis muscle to press against the sciatic nerve, such as sitting, walking up stairs or running.

What causes piriformis syndrome?

You can develop piriformis syndrome from everyday activities, such as sitting for long periods of time, climbing stairs, walking or running.

You can also develop it after a traumatic event, such as a car accident or a fall.

When should I call my doctor?

Talk to your doctor if any of the following are true:

Your pain lasts longer than a few weeks.

You have sudden, severe pain in your low back or your leg, and you have muscle weakness or numbness in your leg.

Your pain starts after you have been injured in a traumatic event.

You have problems controlling your bowels or bladder.

How is piriformis syndrome diagnosed?

Your doctor will perform a physical exam. He or she will move the affected leg into several different positions to check your pain level.

If your doctor thinks something other than piriformis syndrome is causing your sciatica, he or she may order additional tests.

Computerized tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans cannot diagnose piriformis syndrome, but they may show your doctor if something else is pressing on your sciatic nerve.

How is piriformis syndrome treated?

Most people who have piriformis syndrome get better with treatment and lifestyle changes.

Failure to treat this condition can lead to permanent nerve damage, so be sure to follow your doctor's instructions.

Self-care tips for piriformis syndrome include the following:

Temporarily stop doing activities that cause pain, such as running or bicycling.

If you have to sit for a long period of time, take regular breaks to walk around and stretch.

Use cold packs and warm packs.

Start by using a cold pack on the affected area several times a day for about 15 minutes at a time.

After using a cold pack for a couple of days, switch to a warm pack or heating pad. If you continue to have pain, alternate between a cold pack and a warm pack.

Take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (also called an NSAID), such as ibuprofen (two brand names: Advil, Motrin), aspirin or naproxen (one brand name: Aleve), to help relieve your pain.

You can also take acetaminophen (brand name: Tylenol) for pain relief.

Do exercises to stretch the piriformis muscle. Your doctor can give you information about what stretches will help.

Massage the affected area.

If your pain doesn't get better with self-treatment, your doctor may inject a steroid medicine where the piriformis muscle and the sciatic nerve meet. This may help reduce your pain.

DON'T DO STEROIDS FOR LYME/CO-INFECTIONS; IT SUPPRESSES OUR SYSTEMS MAKING US WORSE!!! bettyg, iowa group leader!

If you have severe piriformis syndrome, you may need surgery to relieve the pressure on your sciatic nerve.

What can I do to prevent piriformis syndrome?

Once your symptoms improve, you may need to change your activities to avoid developing piriformis syndrome again.

The following are some tips to help prevent piriformis syndrome:

Exercise regularly.

Maintain good posture when you are sitting, driving or standing.

Don't lift by bending over.

Lift an object by bending your knees and squatting to pick up the object.

Keep your back straight and hold the object close to your body.

Avoid twisting your body while lifting.

Avoid sitting or lying down for long periods of time in a position that puts too much pressure on your buttocks.

Source

Written by familydoctor.org editorial staff.

American Academy of Family Physicians

Reviewed/Updated: 02/11

Created: 11/09

Copyright © 2009-2011 American Academy of Family Physicians

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/pain/ disorders/1002.printerview.html

08/23/2011 04:59 PM
lisanaylor2007
lisanaylor2007  
I'm an Advocate

I found that when I wear my very favorite flip flops or I am on my bare feet for any length of time. I end up having more pain. I wear my sneakers and all is well again. Then I am really happy the pain is lower.

08/23/2011 10:26 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hi lisa,

check out my link here on feet ... shoes addressed good in this plus othe stuff.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/medicine-treatments/2600265-arthroscopic-surgery- gets-patients-back-on-FEET

betty, group leader, iowa activist, llmd coordinator

01/07/2012 03:32 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Sciaticalm: Clinical Breakdown

By Dr. Thomas Latino

Background on the Sciatic Nerve, Pain and Diagnosis

Sciatica is pain in the lower extremity resulting from irritation of the sciatic nerve.

The pain of sciatica is typically felt from the low back (lumbar area) to behind the thigh and radiating down below the knee.

The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and begins from nerve roots in the lumbar spinal cord in the low back and extends through the buttock area to send nerve endings down the lower limb.

The pain of sciatica is sometimes referred to as sciatic nerve pain.

While sciatica is most commonly a result of a lumbar disc herniation directly pressing on the nerve, any cause of irritation or inflammation of the sciatic nerve can reproduce the symptoms of sciatica.

This irritation of nerves as a result of an abnormal intervertebral disc is referred to as radiculopathy.

Aside from a pinched nerve from a disc, other causes of sciatica include irritation of the nerve from an adjacent bone, tumors, muscle, internal bleeding, infections, injury, and other causes.

Sometimes sciatica can occur because of irritation of the sciatic nerve during pregnancy.

Sciatica causes pain, a burning sensation, numbness, or tingling radiating from the lower back and upper buttock down the back of the thigh to the back of the leg. The result is leg pain.

Sometimes the pain radiates around the hip or buttocks area to feel like hip pain.

While sciatica is often associated with lower back pain (lumbago), it can be present without low back pain.

Severe sciatica can make walking difficult if not impossible.

Sometimes the symptoms of sciatica are aggravated by walking or bending at the waist and relieved by lying down.

The pain relief by changing positions can be partial or complete.

Sciatica is diagnosed with a physical exam and medical history.

The typical symptoms and certain examination maneuvers help the health-care practitioner to diagnose sciatica.

Sometimes, X-rays, films, and other tests, such as CT scan, MRI scan, and electromyogram, are used to further define the exact causes of sciatica.

Ingredients in Sciaticalm

Sciaticalm represents an innovative, homeopathic treatment for the debilitating impact and consequences of Sciatica nerve pain.

The following section of this article will present the 7 ingredients of Sciaticalm and demonstrate how each one of them, working in concert will promote inherent abilities to minimize the pain and discomfort associated with Sciatica nerve pain.

Arnica Montana

Arnica (Arnica montana) has been used for medicinal purposes since the 1500s and remains popular today.

Applied topically as a cream, ointment, liniment, salve, or tincture, Europeans and Native Americans have used arnica to soothe muscle aches, reduce inflammation, and heal wounds.

It is often the first remedy used for injuries such as sprains and bruises.. Arnica is often used in homeopathy, and should be taken internally only in the extremely diluted form common to homeopathic remedies.

Arnica is used topically for a wide range of conditions, including bruises, sprains, muscle aches, wound healing, superficial phlebitis, rheumatic pain, inflammation from insect bites, and swelling due to fractures.

Homeopathic preparations are also used to treat sore muscles, bruises, and other conditions caused by overexertion or trauma. Homeopathic doses are extremely diluted.

They have no detectable amount of the plant in them and are generally considered safe for internal use when taken according to the directions on the product labeling.

Belladonna

Belladonna has long been used within homeopathic treatments as a mechanism for combatting the painful onset and lingering complications due to inflammation.

Studies have demonstrated the positive impact Belladonna has on treating patients with these specific conditions (Pedallino, 2004).

Belladonna or Atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade)-the source of the drug atropine belongs to genus Atropa along with two other species (Hunziker, 2001).

Although the phylogenetic affinity of Atropa to Hyoscyameae has been controversial for over a century (Hunziker, 2001), however, in a recent study this affinity was conclusively proved (Yuan et al., 2006).

The plant Atropa belladonna is surrounded by myth, fear and awe.

That this plant contains poison is known from the ancient Greek and Roman civilization to medieval witches, professional poisoners, sorcerers and ultimately in 1830s atropine was isolated from the plant (Lee, 2007).

Atropa belladonna is rich in tropane alkaloids, primarily atropine and scopolamine (Talaty et al., 2005).

Roots are the major organs of tropane alkaloid biosynthesis and after their formation in roots, tropane alkaloids are transported to the aerial parts of the plant.

Putrescine N-Methyltransferase (PMT) is the pivotal enzyme for the biosynthesis of tropane alkaloids.

The PMT cDNAs were cloned from A. belladonna and were found to encode a protein homologous to spermidine synthases indicating the evolutionary origin of PMT from spermidine synthase.

In A. belladonna, PMT is located in pericycle and xylem cells of the root.

Root cultures of A. belladonna form the tropine derived alkaloids hyoscyamine, scopolamine and calystegines.

While hyoscyamine and scopolamine are also found in other related species to A. belladonna, thus calystegines appear to be the key agent which is present in high concentration to A. belladonna only and thus differentiates biological activities of belladonna from other related plants.

The biosynthetic pathway of tropane alkaloids is very complex. Putrescine first converted into N-methyl putrescine by PMT. N-methyl putrescine yields tropinone.

In tropinone I pathway tropinone is converted to tropine, tropine is converted to hyoscyamine and finally converted to scopolamine by the action of hyoscyamine-6-hydroxylase.

In the relatively less investigated tropinone II pathway at first there is formation of pseudotropine, which is then converted to calystegine.

Chamomilla

M. Chamomilla is an herbal remedy derived from the dried leaves of the German chamomile plant. This specific homeopathic remedy is believed to be a natural sedative.

Furthermore, the oil from this plant has several topical uses for treating skin inflammations.

Supplements such as Roman Chamomilla and and Chamomile have been demonstrated to possess the requisite compounds and properties to alleviate skin inflammation.

It contains several classes of biologically active compounds, including essential oils and several polyphenols that have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties when applied topically.

The principal components of the essential oil extracted from chamomile flowers are the terpenoids α-bisabolol and its oxide and azulenes, including chamazulene and acetylene derivatives.

Terpenoids, bisabolol, and chamazulene have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, antispasmodic, antibacterial, antipyretic, ulcer-protective, and antifungal properties.

M. Chamomilla has also been reported to have anti-angiogenic properties.

A review of numerous homeopathic treatments indicates that specific treatments contained properties that prevented tumors from generating blood vessels and therefore deregulating the delivery of oxygen and other nutrients critical to vital internal organs.

Specifically, it was reported that M. Chamomilla was effective in prohibiting such angiogenesis from occurring and assisting standard chemotherapy treatments in causing critical tumor necropathy.

Colocynthis

Colocynthis is native to Turkey but is cultivated in many dry, hot semi-desert areas around the world.

The fruit is an orange sized gourd that contains pulp and seed.

The seeds are claimed to be nutritional but the pulp and outer skin of the gourd contains a highly poisonous constituent called colocynthin.

The plant is very similar to the common cucumber plant which is probably where the name “Bitter cucumber" comes from.

Colocynthis people are reserved with a restless and anxious undercurrent which is hard to hide.

They tend to bear grudges when humiliated by being disregarded or contradicted and suppress anger and this is normally when the physical symptoms appear.

Colic, abdominal pain and other gastric upsets are the main physical symptoms. They may be accompanied by headaches and neck pain and shooting pains in the limbs which are the hallmarks of Sciatica pain.

This quality of Colocynthis renders it a vital component of the overall homeopathic treatment for the disorder.

Gnaphallium

A remedy of unquestioned benefit in sciatica, when pain is associated with numbness of the part affected.

Gnaphallium possesses remedial effects for the following conditions, all of which render the homeopath a vital component of Sciaticalm.

Gnaphallium addresses symptoms in the back and extremities.

With respect to the back, Gnaphallium specifically addresses chronic backache in lumbar region; better resting on back along with lumbago with numbness in lower part of back and weight in pelvis.

Respecting the extremities, Gnaphallium addresses cramps in calves of legs and feet when in bed.

Rheumatic pain in ankle joints and legs. Intense pain along the sciatic nerve; numbness alternates with pain. Frequent pains in calves and feet.

Gouty pains in big toes. Better, drawing limbs up, flexing thigh on abdomen. Gouty concretions (Ammon benz). Anterior curial neuralgia (Staph).

Pain in joints as if they lacked oil. Chronic muscular rheumatism of back and neck.

Magnesia Phosphorica

M. Phosphorica blends a unique mixture of homeopathy and traditional science.

Formulated within the laboratory, this ingredient as the widest range of effectiveness on diseases and disorders affecting and emanating from the nervous system.

Diseases having their seat in the nerve-fibre cells or in the terminal bulbs of the nerves, in the muscles or in the muscular tissue itself, are cured by this remedy.

It corresponds to pains of all kinds with the exception of burning pains; it is especially related to cramping pains.

Pains which are darting, spasmodic in character, boring, lightning-like, accompanied by a constrictive feeling.

They are often changing in locality, and are relieved by warmth and pressure.

It is purely antispasmodic, and hence is curative in cramps, spasms of the glottis, tetanus, epilepsy, spasmodic retention of the urine, paralysis agitans, etc.

It is best adapted to lean, thin, emaciated persons of a highly nervous organization, and prefers light complexion and the right side of the body.

Cold in general favors its action exceedingly, whereas heat and pressure interfere with it.

Hence the patient is relieved by these. Attacks are often attended with great prostration and sometimes with profuse sweat.

The Magnes. phos. patient is languid, tired, exhausted, and unable to sit up, whether he is suffering from acute or chronic affections.

Conclusion

In summation, the clinical benefits of Sciaticalm are demonstrated within this article.

The Homeopathic ingredients have been shown to possess properties that render them effective in combating the hallmark symptoms of Sciatic Nerve pain.

The most common symptom, inflammation, is targeted by several of the homeopath's compounds including Gnaphallium and Colocynthin.

As more analysis and clinical trials are conducted, it stands to reason that the ingredients within Sciaticalm are poised to bring welcomed relief to those that suffer from debilitating sciatic nerve pain.

©Copyright 2010-2011 Sciaticalm™

http://www.sciaticalmrelief.com/clinical-breakdown.html

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 01/07/2012 03:41 AM

11/16/2012 09:31 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Chronic low back pain is a common cause of disability in Americans.

One type: sciatica is characterized by intense pain, weakness and tingling that can start in the lower back and can extend down the leg, to the calf and even into the foot.

A new study, just published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, focuses on a minimally invasive treatment for sciatica:

epidural corticosteroid injections.

bettyg note:

AVOID STEROID INJECTIONS; they suppress the immune system making you worse. refer to DR. BURRASCANO'S LYME TREATMENT GUIDELINES; he explains this there!

Researchers reviewed 14 published studies to see how well the shots worked, and for how long.

The data on more than 13-hundred participants showed that the shots can offer significant short-term relief for the leg pain of sciatica.

But, follow up at one year or later showed no difference in leg pain, back pain, or disability for patients given epidural corticosteroid injections or placebo.

Symptoms of sciatica can be debilitating and persistent, patients are nearly four times more likely to have back surgery compared with those who have persistent low back pain only.

I'm Dr. Cindy Haines of HealthDay TV, with news you can use for healthier living.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/videos/news/ Back_Pain_111312-1.html

U.S. National Library of Medicine8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20894U.S. Department of Health and Human ServicesNational Institutes of Health

Page last updated on 16 November 2012

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved