MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/18/2010 03:34 AM

Average cost of IV Rocephin and flagyl..ongoing!

Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Average cost of IV Rocephin and flagyl

mcaringella

Member # 24848

posted 05-12-2010 02:09 PM

I have great insurance but I have a negative western blot (long term steroid use) so I won't have any coverage for my treatment program.

What is the average cost, out-of-pocket, for IV drugs like Rocephin and Flagyl?

Posts: 23 | From California | Registered: Mar 2010 ********************

gatorade girl

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 24896

posted 05-12-2010 06:20 PM

Call infuserve America . They have good prices.

Posts: 126 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010 ***********************

lyme987

Member # 22148

posted 05-12-2010 06:48 PM

Walgreens infusion service is $55 per day for Rochephin and $80 a week for a nurse. I don't know about the flagyl

Lymetoo

Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)

Member # 743

posted 05-12-2010 07:18 PM

Flagyl should be cheap.

I would consider doing an antibiotic challenge to see if you can get a positive test.

carly

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 14810

posted 05-13-2010 02:57 PM

I was quoted over $1000 per week and told my ins. would likely deny all coverage.

How do I get infuserve(or other) to cover? Have doc write a scrip?

This is all Greek to me.

MariaA

Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)

Member # 9128

posted 05-13-2010 03:23 PM

Whoa! that's really high.

I called Infuserve and got quotes for out-of-pocket costs for the supplies and Rocephin:

about $350/month (*yes, a MONTH, not a week) for 2 grams/day Rocephin

about $300 for supplies, depending on how you choose to have the Rocephin delivered.

I was looking into the VialMate option, where they send you a bag attached to a vial rather than a pre-mixed syringe or bag or whatever premixed form it comes in.

It costs a tiny bit more but the advantage is that you can get them to ship a full months' worth without special refrigeration shipping charges and it can be stored at room temp.

IV Flagyl is actually not cheap (pills of Flagyl are dirt cheap, but not the IV version). It's something like $10/dose. I called a few places and it was just that expensive.

Yes, you'll need a prescription for any of this.

Some LLMD's will help you learn how to do the infusion yourself and even how to do dressing changes yourself, but others require a home health nurse which means it'll cost a lot more to pay for that.

MariaA

Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)

Member # 9128

posted 05-13-2010 03:24 PM

Another cheap place for IV meds is Costco pharmacy- if you have to be on IV Azithromycin as well, it's cheaper there than Infuserve. You don't need a Costco membership to use the pharmacy.

carly

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 14810

posted 05-13-2010 03:28 PM

Maria,

Thanks. I knew there was a better option. Just new to navigating all of this.

I will call infuserve once I get the word from ins. co. and find out what I need to know to set this up right from the beginning.

Otherwise, it's cost-prohibitive.

carly

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 14810

posted 05-13-2010 04:03 PM

Costco- online or in store? I checked online and didn't see rocephin listed (or generic).

I think I'll look up the # of my local store and call to see if they supply IV meds.

MariaA

posted 05-13-2010 04:18 PM

I had to call and they had to look it up in their wholesale catalog.

They have cheap Rocephin too, but it only comes in 1-gram vials there.

I think it ends up being $1 more/day to get it through Infuserve (meaning one 2-gram vial from Infuserve costs $1 more than two one-gram vials from Costco)

but since Infuserve has to actually mix it with saline or assemble it into the sterile VialMate system, it seemed easier to just get the Rocephin from infuserve.

Also, I haven't actally done any of this, I just did a lot of research when it looked like I needed to go on IV.

sapphire101

LymeNet Contributor

Member # 6638

posted 05-15-2010 08:14 AM

I was just denied IV rocephin by my ins. co. but hubby didn't accept that. I do not have a positive test other than Igenex which they don't even know about.

He first called the ins. co. and talked to the supervisor and she told him what to do. He got my local dr involved and he got it approved. So no isn't always no. Don't give up so easily, that's what they want.

My rocephin is $30 per 2 grams here at a local pharmacy. It's the generic.

Sapphire

Posts: 437 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004 | **********************

momofthree

Member # 19490

posted 05-15-2010 02:49 PM

I get my rocephin from www.hometech-rx.com I pay $22.50 a day, ($315 every two weeks).

It is an IV push all set to go. I get my saline, heprin, alchohol pads and the complete bandage changing kit included.

If you tell them whatever other meds you need they will look for the best price on those too. They would work with my insurance but we already lost coverage for that.

carly

posted 05-15-2010 06:21 PM

IV PUSH;

g.g.- it's like a syringe that you inject into the picc line. as far as I can tell.

momofthree

posted 05-16-2010 09:47 AM

Yes it is a big syringe that you push very slowly into your line. The whole process takes about 15 minutes.

This beats the ball that I carried around and dripped in slowly until it was empty. That took a little over an hour.

mcaringella

Member # 24848

posted 05-18-2010 02:01 AM

From infuserve, I was quoted $9.46 per 500 mg dose of IV Flagyl. Im stoked on that!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/24652

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 11/03/2010 11:55 PM

05/18/2010 07:31 AM
lindaca

You typically need a diagnosis other than lyme to get insurance coverage, whether mycoplasma or something else that you're positive for.

Another supplier is ARC Infusion in CA. They have prices similar to InfuServe, and they'll work with your insurance company.

The VialMate is a great option, since storage and shipping are easier. You can get a full month at a time, and if you travel it's probably less hassle since you don't have to refrigerate. I got the pieces unassembled from ARC Infusion, boxes of rocephin vials and the saline bags separate, and then I had to connect. Cheaper this way, since there's less labor involved on their end.

Remember that the vial cost is only part of the total cost. You need the saline to mix it with, the saline and heparin syringes, the solution set (line from bag to your arm), bandage change supplies, and optional extender line so you can infuse on your own.

If you're on rocephin, be sure to get a prescription for actigall as well, as rocephin is hard on the liver. Also, infusing too fast can lead to an allergic reaction. Recommended infusion time is 1/2 hour for Rocephin. An EpiPen is a good idea to have around just in case.

05/18/2010 08:46 AM
billk1018

Wow, these are really cheap prices for IV Rocephin. I go to an LLMD in SE PA and I pay $250/day including supplies. But they won't use an infusion service and make you come there everyday for infusion. They said they've had too many problems with home infusion services.

I think I'm being burned here...

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved