MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/08/2008 02:29 PM

FDA Report on CIPRO

beehonee
beehonee  

Did anyone see this...not sure if anyone gets treated with CIPRO for Lyme but....

FDA calls for urgent warning on tendon risks

10:41 AM PDT on Tuesday, July 8, 2008

By Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Federal drug safety officials have imposed the government's most urgent warning on Cipro and similar antibiotics, citing risks that they can cause tendon ruptures, a serious injury that leaves some patients incapacitated.

The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday ordered makers of flouroquinolone drugs -- a potent class of antibiotics -- to add a 'black box' warning to their products, which include Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin and other medications.

Patients should immediately stop taking the medications if they develop any tendon pain, swelling or inflammation.

Post edited by: beehonee, at: 07/08/2008 14:31

07/08/2008 02:29 PM
beehonee
beehonee  

By Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Federal drug safety officials have imposed the government's most urgent warning on Cipro and similar antibiotics, citing risks that they can cause tendon ruptures, a serious injury that leaves some patients incapacitated.

The Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday ordered makers of flouroquinolone drugs -- a potent class of antibiotics -- to add a 'black box' warning to their products, which include Cipro, Levaquin, Floxin and other medications.

Patients should immediately stop taking the medications if they develop any tendon pain, swelling or inflammation.

07/08/2008 02:32 PM
beehonee
beehonee  

For some reason it is not showing up but here it is again...

By Associated Press

07/08/2008 02:32 PM
beehonee
beehonee  

I give up

07/08/2008 07:24 PM
ARF

Don't give up!!! This is bad news, but there are other ways.

Ann

07/09/2008 04:31 AM
Julie4848

Well this is one drug I will stay far away from. I took ONE pill, and was in the ICU for 10 days. And it took another 9 weeks for the hives to go away and it was just ONE PILL...My friend took it last year and was rushed to the ER for hives and breathing problems. TUFF drug

Julie

07/09/2008 09:58 AM
Mizuiro
Mizuiro  

Although I took high doses of it for four months and never had any bad reactions. If there are many cases coming up with something like that they will pull it like they have others. I just feel it's one of those things like a lot of other meds and if it works for the problems you have to decide if it's worth the side effects you get from it.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved