MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/17/2008 07:03 PM

Another Picc Line Pansy....

savvy
savvy  

Hey Guys, I posted this on my diary section but I know not everyone reads those and I wanted those of you who are keeping up to know I'm getting my picc line put in tomorrow.....here's my latest update:

Went to the docs today. She was TWO HOURS LATE for my appointment.......I was not happy. Why is it that Doctors can charge us and cancel us for not being at an appointment on time but we can't bill them for the same thing? I seriously want to type up a bill the next time a doctor doesn't show up for my appointment. I let it go though, she was at the hospital on an emergency.....seems like this happens every time I go there though.

She upped my Topamax. We are going to work our way up to 200 mgs, but a little at a time, so over several weeks I am going to keep increasing my dosage. So far I have only been on 25mgs twice a day but I am still getting headaches and sometimes they are nasty so she said it's because I wasn't taking enough. Of course, I'm also secretly hoping it will kick the weight loss thing back into gear as it stopped just soon after it started! I had dropped like 12 lbs right away, then nothin.......pissed me off. I stopped weighing myself, too stressful. Then she also refilled my paxil, we DON"T want me to run out of that...and also gave me 2 scripts for candida from all the antibiotics. (if you have to look up what that is, you probably don't want to know...we'll call it a girl problem.)

Anyways, the other thing we decided on was that the Doxycycline is just wreaking havoc on my stomach as this is my third month on it. I have been so sick all the time and the exhaustion and body aches have definitely increased again so I am not sure it's even working anymore. Since I had such a good reaction to the Rocephin IV my doctor sent me in straight from her office to the hospital infusion center and I am getting a PICC line in tomorrow for two weeks to start and then we'll see from there where we want to go. She wanted them to do the PICC today, but they were so backed up when I got there I told them tomorrow was fine and I'd just do the infusion to get my meds through a regular IV in my hand for today. Tony, my sweet angel, came to hold the other hand while I was there before he went to work and he'll also be there with me tomorrow while they put the PICC in.

I also decided, after a lot of talks with Tony, that I didn't want to do the IV treatments at home as we are so scared of having it go septic on me. I'd be more comfortable stopping by the hospital every day and knowing it was safe and clean and being watched daily. So, here I am, scared shitless, trying to crack jokes as that is my best medicine and knowing that as much as I don't want this I am also hoping with all my heart it finally makes me better.......

~Thank you so much to all my amazing friends who are continuously checking up on me. I feel so completely LOVED~

06/17/2008 08:04 PM
wantabe
wantabe  

From one pansy to another- you will do fine, it will go OK, and having a hand to hold is just what you need.

I am feeling better after the Picc. I didn't realize how bad my stomach was until stopped the orals.

Good luck, and relax- it really was easy and painless.

wantabeTongue

06/17/2008 08:33 PM
savvy
savvy  

Thanks so much....I'm really freaked out about it! I don't know if it's that I'm afraid it will hurt or of that it will go sepsis(sp?) or that the threading the line through my body is going to feel so weird it's going to totally freak me out or maybe it will just be overall totally irritating and I don't want yet another hinderance to the way I want to live my life.....I'm having some serious control issues I think....

How were things as far as the care of it? I have a wedding to go to and I'm worried about how to dress to hide it as well as for work and so on, I don't want people to look at me funny and my son is also terrified of needles and just the little one I had in my hand for a few days freaked him out so bad he couldn't look at me...any tips?

06/17/2008 08:55 PM
lymie
ConnieD  

Wow Savvy,

You have a lot on your plate.

I hope it all goes well with your picc line. I can't comment on that because I didn't go that route. However, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Connie

06/17/2008 08:55 PM
Mizuiro
Mizuiro  

When I had mine they gave me thermal socks (don't get the net kind). It's just a fabric tube that slips up and the tubs can be tucked in and then all anyone can see is the fabric. I went to two graduations with this and had NO weird looks. I did find though if you're wanting to dress to cover it a fairly loose three-quarter length works well and doesn't get in the way for infusions.

I went into the hospital everyday for mine and all I can say about that is try to know what it is exactly that they're supposed to be doing (such as how they're supposed to flush the line and so on) I caught a couple nurses before they did it wrong so ask any questions to the picc line nurse you can think of.

06/17/2008 09:02 PM
savvy
savvy  

Thanks Connie, I appreciate the kind thoughts anyways~ It's all about positive thinking.....I WILL GET BETTER!

And Mizuiro, Thanks for the tips, that's a good idea! I think my husband could buy me a new dress...we'll just have to try to have fun finding one that works well and try not to get completely flustered and stressed out about it. Maybe I should bring the Klonipin.....lol

As far as the nurses, they are fantastic where I am going but I have noticed my husband watches everything they do like a hawk so the slightest variance and he is asking questions. That's good advice though, so thank you!

06/18/2008 06:13 AM
wantabe
wantabe  

Some of your concerns:

I didn't feel a thing other then the 2small shots at the beginning to numb the area.Took about 45 minutes and I was able to "educate" the nurse about Lyme- she was very interested.

I too have a wedding this weekend. My dress is sleeveless, but I bought a light scarf to lay over my shoulders and cover my upper arm.

I have used the netting to cover the area because it doesn't get as hot and sweaty as the tube. This covers the insertion site and the tubes.

I have been able to talk Lyme with many people that would other wise be clueless about it. It really is a great way to educate others.

Sad to say , but know people can see that I really am sick and not just acting like it...Like Thomas,some people have to see to believe.

My son also is medically phobic. At first, he watched from a distance every time I infused, and now wants to help.

Kids can be very adapting especially when they see you are getting better and want their "old" mom back.

Take it easy tonight and celebrate your steps to wellness!

Wink

06/18/2008 03:03 PM
savvy
savvy  

Well......I made it through. I brought along some Klonipin and asked permission to take it and they said, by all means! They wanted a little bit to let it kick in to help my nerves. I had a terrible time trying to sleep last night, lots of pain waking me up and lots of nightmares after many hours of not being able to sleep at all. Then today I was exhausted, everything just hurt, I didn't want to move and I had terrible nightmares that I couldn't move any of my muscles and some nurse tried to convince me that I was idiot becuase I needed a wheelchair and was insisting on trying to walk.....anyways, I digress...Klonipin is still workin strong!

My nurses were great, very funny and very friendly. They came in and were like, wow, I like your hair today and wow, you smell so good, what are you wearing...and then turned to my hubby and smiled and said, we're hitting on your wife, I might have to take her home with me tonight! He perked right up to say, I think I've seen this movie before, should I shut the curtain now? LOL It was pretty funny.

Anyways, I'm glad for those of you who had no pain because for me this HURT LIKE HELL! I have noticed that I have a lot of simliar symptoms to fibromyalgia and my skin and muscles are incredibly sensitive so I think that's part of it. They had to give me an extra shot after they started because it was still hurting me so bad though.

Then everything seemed to go good, seemed like an awful lot of blood though, but when they tried to flush it, somehow it had curled up inside. It took several times, but they kept having to push through a wire to straighten it out and asked me to turn my head down as far to my chin and to the left as I could. I don't know how that helped, but eventually we got it to work and it flushed out properly.

Next they brought in a portable xray machine, quick and easy.....Klonipin was working wonders by now so I was just fine. After they got the results back I started my first dose. I had brought along my laptop and watched an episode of Boston Legal, (got my hubby the first season on DVD for Fathers Day!).

It's very tender and hard to move around like normal, but I think I'm ok.

Also, I wanted to mention to those of you who have a Rite Aide in your area, I found a wonderful little tool called a Deluxe Shower Sleeve. The nurses said they've been looking for them everywhere and asked me to bring it in to show them tomorrow so they can tell their other patients where to get it after they see how it works. Since they said it was hard to find, I thought I'd put out that info to all of you.

Thanks so much for helping me get prepared and for all the good positive thoughts you put out into the universe for me today!!

xoxoxox, Sav

06/18/2008 06:08 PM
synergyman
synergyman  

Sav,

The worst is over. Hopefully the pain and irritation will go away quickly.

Instead of a shower sleeve I use "Glad Press n Seal" to protect the IV site during a shower. It works great.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Kim

06/18/2008 06:42 PM
savvy
savvy  

Thanks for the heads up Kim, If I have problems with the shower sleeve as I already have it, I will definitely keep that in mind!

I'm still a bit loopy tonight from the Klonipin, but my arm is very tender, I'm worried for how much it will hurt tomorrow. How long did yours hurt?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved