MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/20/2010 10:05 PM

1.19.10 IASEN.TOM HARKIN lyme bill HIS health comm

Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

ATTENTION ALL IOWANS, PLEASE WRITE TO OUR SEN. TOM HARKIN ASKING HIM TO PUT OUR LYME BILL S1352 ON THEIR "AGENDA" for discussion.

Tom is CHAIR of this health committee; let's show him how many IOWANS are concerned about lyme/co-infection diseases and want our bill there for 11 years to FINALLY BE DISCUSSED & CUSSED!

Tom gives ALL IOWAN MAIL PRIORITY. so let's take advantage of that gang. Smile

http://harkin.senate.gov/c/

For the rest of you, email or call your 2 FEDERAL SENATORS & 1 HOUSE REP requesting they get our lyme bills on the "agendas" to be discussed in the committees finally. huge thanks Smile hugs/kisses

Dear Betty:

In addition, I appreciate your concerns regarding Lyme Disease.

I agree with you that Lyme Disease is a serious problem.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there were 123 reported cases of Lyme Disease in Iowa, and more than 27,000 nationally, in 2007.

As you know, the Lyme and Tick-Borne Disease Prevention, Education, and Research Act of 2009 (S.1352) was introduced in the Senate on June 25, 2009.

This bill would create a Tick-Borne Diseases Advisory Committee in the Department of Health and Human Services that would be charged with overseeing the nation's system of preventing, diagnosing, and combating Lyme Disease.

This Committee would promote interagency cooperation and work with federal agencies to organize a single, coordinated response on how to fight Lyme Disease.

Currently, this bill is pending before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, which I Chair.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act. I always appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, the CALM Act requires the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to limit the volume of television advertisements to a level no louder than the average volume of the programs during which they appear.

This common-sense legislation would help all viewers by eliminating the nuisance of extremely loud advertisements.

For over 45 years, consumers have been complaining about the loudness of television commercials. Quickly after the advent of television, advertisers learned that broadcasting commercials at maximum volume would grab the viewer's attention.

I find it frustrating to watch television after a long day or at the end of a week and have my peaceful evening interrupted by a blaring advertisement.

As consumers, we shouldn't have to go scrambling for the remote or running to the television just to lower the volume. I'm pleased that this legislation would finally, after so many years, eliminate that annoyance.

The House of Representatives recently passed its version of the CALM Act, and the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation is currently debating a similar measure.

Please be assured that as this legislation continues to be debated, I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thanks for sharing your views with me. Please don't hesitate to let me know how you feel on any issue that concerns you.

Sincerely,

Tom Harkin

United States Senator

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 01/20/2010 10:16 PM

01/21/2010 05:34 AM
dharma79
dharma79  
VIP Member

I think Tom might be a little sweet on ya, Betty, Wink ...Laughing

Thanks again for everything you do for us!

I, too, am a huge fan of CALM legislation!

Cheers to ya! Cheerful

01/21/2010 10:58 PM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

dharma, shucks you say the sweetest things Smile hugs

last year was the 1st year i didn't get a christmas card from him/wife/2 daughters Smile

2-3 yrs. ago he was in my city for a historic presentation to someone, so i went.

got to talk quickly to him PLEADING with him to rearrange his schedule when going to storm lake, iowa and spend 15-30 minutes with ALEX HERMSTAD family.

alex was 12-14 then; now 16, and been on a ventilator/paralzyed for last 2-3 years!

he had 2 meetings that day BUT worked her family in and couldn't believe he didn't know of her situation.

he helped her family get her into NIH's UNDIAGNOSED RARE DISEASES program. someone was to come here to iowa to her home, but it fell thru somehow!

i believe his brother had alzheimer's and his sister's had breast cancer.

OBAMA stopped at her home too; he promised he'd do anything he could. after elected, he fell thru on his promise.

her mom/friend drove to CHICAGO to oprah's studio without an appt. to try to talk to her & couldn't even get in the main door!! they were heartbroken with all the expenses to get there.

we tried for 1 yr. plus to have oprah do a show on alex and LYME DISEASE...over 300 posts were sent on lyme shows....nothing!

tom can NOT co-sponsor any bill since he is the CHAIR OF HEALTH/etc. committee and this way he CAN VOTE on bills!!

so yes, we have gotten a good friendship going. his staff worker in des moines helped me on ssdi, ss disability insurance procedure where DDS had to update his office monthly when my 2nd ssdi claim would be coming up before admin law judge! his staff rep did an outstanding job calling/emailing me.

our house rep office locally NEVER called/emailed ... she was notified but never notified me.

that's why we play BOTH HANDS....democrates & republicans!!

Post edited by: Bettyg, at: 01/21/2010 10:59 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved