MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/24/2011 02:17 AM

Hey everybody.

StillDreamin
StillDreamin  

I've been incredibly sick for the last 8 months, haven't been able to work or go to school.

I'm 16. I was recently tested for Lyme disease and tested "slightly positive" according to my doctors words.

After being tested again the same results were found. I've recently started antibiotics, but I'm really afraid.

Sounds silly, but I've had this big master plan set up for my life.

I wanted to head to university next year, graduate, start my own business,

and because of malaise and just feeling like I'm not all there, I can hardly remember my birth date let alone anything academic.

I was originally told that I was suffering from a mono relapse 8 months ago, but because this Lyme disease test has showed "slightly positive,"

I'm wondering if its really been the Lyme disease making me this sick, and I'm extremely worried that I'm too late to treat it properly.

I've been really depressed recently and I'm not really sure what I'm dealing with, so a second opinion or any support would be great

Post edited by: StillDreamin, at: 09/24/2011 02:10 PM

09/24/2011 03:20 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to MD JUNCTION! I'm so glad you found us! You've come to the right place for education and support!

Private messages DELETED in 30 days!

ARCHIVE, upper right!

My WELCOME LETTER is posted at the top of SUPPORT FORUM in sticky pin full of good info and HYPERLINKS ready to be read.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/general-support/2356916-bettygs-welcome-letter-wgood- beginner-links-

The most important things are at the top; MUST READ and print off as mentioned there already to start your lyme/co-infection journey with us all.

The 1st things to do are:

• JOIN LYME BOARD; you've joined; disregard this, but please EDIT your post and break it up per instructions below; we NEURO lyme folks can't read as is. big thank for helping us; help YOU Wink

• Post in LLMD REQUEST FORUM for a LYME LITERATE md; see my welcome letter and the INSTRUCTIONS there if you are SPECIALLY FROM CALIF. Where it's broken down into 8 NAMED AREAS.

• You'll need to give me my calif. NAMED area where you live in the areas shown there in SUBJECT LINE plus if it's for ADULT or a child; we need age of CHILD; some llmds have AGE restrictions.

• OTHER STATES will show the SPECIFIC NAME OF THEIR STATE and closest, largest city to them in SUBJECT line plus adult or child; UNDER 21; we need their age!.

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support- forums/llmd-info/Itemid=217/func=post/do=reply

• Also, I'll need the following info in your request post:

in your llmd request, please EDIT and add more info ok.

Are you UNDER AGE 21;; if yes, I need your age shown as some of our llmds have AGE RESTRICTIONS; thanks!

how long you've been sick

if you've tested for lyme/co-infections;

which labs doing work for which specific test, etc.

did you have western blot igm/igg done by igenex?

if yes, what were the POSITIVE & INDETERMINDED numbers; NOT negatives.

thanks for understanding; just EDIT your post.

you can find all by going to left MY DISCUSSIONS, click on it.

after you add more, i'll send you names ok.

just send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE left side, giving me the direct link to come to here, and i'll send you the names ok big thanks.

Betty's suggested posting guidelines:

Many of members have neuro lyme, and it is hard to read long solid block text and be able to comprehend; example, me, 42.5 yrs. neuro chronic lyme, so we are able to comprehend and read. Thank you for helping us help YOU Wink

please post in short paragraphs like you see below or look at a few other posts, but we neuro folks need them short.

1-2 sentences MAX and hit ENTER TWICE to doublespace between each paragraph; we neuros loose our train of thought if it is broken up in the middle unless it goes on FOREVER! hugs

For easier reading, please edit your post. You can break up your longer paragraphs into smaller paragraphs. Please hit ENTER key twice after each paragraph.

Go to left hand corner; click edit send. Then go to bottom and click SUBSCRIBE TO THIS DISCUSSION.

Thank you for posting in a manner that makes it easier for all to read and help others.

bettyg, iowa llmd coordinator/group leader/activist

09/24/2011 07:38 AM
Jensen16

StillD,

Find a recommended "Lyme literate medical doctor" (LLMD) that other experienced Lyme patients had success with.

That last part is important to avoid problems and help you find the good doctors.

Don't delay. Ask as many experienced people as you can, see who got better.

My teen got sick when she was 16, it was her jr yr HS. It sounds like you, active, happy, future plans to being stuck in her room. Our early experinec is under my Profile.

She was misdiagnosed x4 months, treatment started in te 5th month. It's now 2 years later and we're still dealing with it.

She's had 2 "remission" periods (don't have another term for it), 1 relapse event. She may be in a 2nd relapse event, not sure yet.

She keeps tryng to reclaim her life and rebuild her academic skiils in the "remission" preiods; she wasn't able to school for the past 2 years.

Here is the series of diagnoses before we found Lyme:

cold/flu -> mono -> mono w/secondary bact infect -> allergy -> pressure point headache -> stress -> faking it -> NDPH

Dr. prescribed treatments we tried:

Rest -> Z-pack -> go back to school (she was still really sick, doctors were in denial) -> antihistimines, advil -> spot advil, no analgesics allowed, use Claritan -> medrol pack -> psych counseling -> OTC analgesics tylenol, naprosyn -> fiorcet -> amitriptyline -> topriamate

None of these had any effect, some had debiliating side effects, except the Advil, it took the edge off her headache, but the Ped ENT told she wasn't allowed to have it. I watched her get sicker and sicker.

Symptoms are odd and confusing and affect different body systems.

Toothfairy55 found me in the NDPH Group and told me about Lyme Disease and co-infections and her experience. She was spot on for us.

We found Borrelia, Babesia, and Bartonella.

We had done the Tier 1 test for Lyme Disease, it's called an ELISA, 3X during this period of time, it was negative all 3 times, including the blood draw that had positive Western Blot Bands.

Read the book "Cure Unknown" by Pamela Weintraub. It's an easy and good read, good bibliography, real eye opener.

Hope you feel better soon!

09/24/2011 07:41 AM
Jensen16

09/24/2011 08:42 AM
Weasy
Weasy  
VIP Member

Hey, welcome!

Usually people go with their gut instincts when they are uncertain of something but you have the facts laid out for you.

If you tested positive for Lyme Disease, then you still have it and it's still causing havoc to your body.

Hey, it might be hard for you to come around to accepting but the plans in your life will more than likely have to go on hold.

I was in college and had to drop out because there came a point where I literally could not remember anything.

This is coming from someone who usually rarely had to study.

I'm not saying give up on your dreams! Never do that! But there may come a point sooner or later where you realize you'll have to put everything on hold and take care of your health.

This is a bacterium that is designed to slowly kill it's host but it doesn't have to be that way.

Get yourself to an LLMD and get on a protocol asap.

You can always message me if you have any questions or need support!! Wink

09/24/2011 09:11 AM
mem2062

I was undiagnosed for 8 months. I tested negative 4 times for Lyme during that period.

Lyme and Lyme treatment will be tough on you but to honest you dont have a choice.

Keep fighting and never give up!

09/24/2011 11:59 AM
lydian
lydian  

StillDreamin'

Get treated for Lyme Disease, slightly positive, well that would be enough for me to do whatever I could to get better. It can be done! I know. I was told to give up but I didn't! I am doing fantastic!!!!! Truly!

Check out my site. www.lyme-aware.org

There are many resources listed there to check out. Many great individuals out there with lots of great information and knowledge. Hang in there! Don't give up!

All my best.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved