MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/27/2008 07:08 AM

Diabetes and Lyme disease.

Rags57

Can Lyme disease raise blood sugar? since the rash my blood sugar has been very high and seems to coincide with the tick bite.

06/16/2008 05:47 PM
miki

I was just diagnosed with Lyme today (the bulls eye rash started 2 weeks ago) and am also looking for an answer to your question. Since the rash my blood sugar levels have been higher then normal. Has any other diabetics out there noticed the same problem. Also how does bs react with the antibiotic? Hope we hear from someone.

06/17/2008 05:19 AM
denise17
denise17  

Hello and welcome!

I can't answer your question but I hope someone here can. If not keep asking your Dr. Is he lyme literate?

Good luck and take care, Denise

06/17/2008 05:34 AM
miki

Denise, Thanks for the welcome. I'm not sure how much he knows about lyme disease but as soon as he saw the bullseye rash he jumped right on it. He put me on a 30 day course of doxycycline 100 mg. Sent blood work (and advised me that it might be negative for lyme which I already knew). I don't have the results yet. He will call today. I haven't had any symptoms (well the rash) except for a vague feeling that something was wrong. More tired, irritable, unenthusiastic. Might have nothing to do with lyme but I was interested in rags post about higher blood surgar levels because I have been experiencing the same. I hope to hear from someone who knows. Thanks again. Donna

06/17/2008 11:57 AM
lymie
ConnieD  

I'm sorry I can't contribute to this conversation either. In all of my readings, I have never seen anything about lyme causing increased blood sugars. Who knows? I hope someone will come along and help you.

Keep researching and reading and if I run across anything , I will remember you.

Peace,

connie

12/05/2008 10:39 AM
flur22

I know I am responding 6 months later but thought I would throw in my 2 cents on Lyme and raising blood sugars in diabetics....

Its does. I was diagnosed this past April with Lyme, Bartonella and Babesia and Ive been a Type 1 diabetic for 24 years. Before I was diagnosed my blood sugars were completely out of control and I couldnt figure out what was wrong. I changed my insulin intake, my diet, exercise..everything. After I began my treatment my blood sugars went back to normal and my A1C droped significantly which was great.

Of course after being "normal" a month or so I began to get my symptoms back and now my sugars are back up again. Ive started on another set of antibiotics and hopefully will get this under control once again...

Good luck!

12/05/2008 11:05 AM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Miki,

Just wanted to add in here so that you are aware, typically a 30-day course of doxy, while it is great, isn't sufficient to treat Lyme Disease. Usually, even in early cases, 3 months is the best for a minimum treatment. You should consider seeking an LLMD. Connie or Jaime should be able to get you a current list of LLMD's in your area, regardless of your test results.

I have collected a list of links, thanks to the help of a bunch of people here on the forum, and if you're interested, I'd be glad to get them to you. Just PM me, and let me know you're interested, and I'll give them to you, so you can learn more. I know it's six months later, but I wasn't here that long ago, and now that I see this, just thought you should know the info! HOpe you are doing better now!

*hugs* and good luck.

Jen

12/05/2008 01:26 PM
mem6757

I can answer your question, as soon as i had serious Lyme symptoms before diagnosis i was all of a sudden a brand new Type 11 diabetic.My Doc the "by the book Doc"..prescribed metformin...i never got it..i got Samento and alpha lipoic acid... and a Biomat..my blood sugars are normal now..i never have and never will eat sugar anyway...what a joke another great Mimic..Lyme= Diabetes Smile

12/05/2008 01:49 PM
forlydia
forlydia  

I also got high blood sugar all of a sudden during my reaction to antibiotics. Even when I stopped the antibiotics, I still had high sugar for about a month. I had insatiable thirst. I'm gonna get tested for Glucose tolerance next week.

12/05/2008 02:19 PM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Really interesting thread here. And it's interesting, too, to note that for me, tho I never tested positive for diabetes, I've had Lyme for what I can trace as 14 years, and I've showed just about every sign of diabetes. So, it's pretty amazing to see the things that happen to our bodies with Lyme, eh? I'm impressed every day when I learn new things about what happens to us. I'm appalled we can't get more research, more money, and more stuff to help us. We're crying out, and we can't get the help! For Heaven's sake, people, start listening!! Tongue

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved