MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/20/2009 06:01 PM

PICC line or Port

zipspain
zipspain  

Hello

I am looking for input on either getting a PICC line or a port. I am very sick and have been for many years. I finally found a new LLMD and we are putting in a PICC or Port. He said it is up to me. I have researched both and I just am not sure which route to go. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

10/20/2009 07:11 PM
CWDurden

My son had a PICC line for 6 months while receiving IV therapy

good experience, no infection. Had same line all 6 months. Unfortunately

we are going to have to do it again and we will use a PICC line

good luck. God's love to you and a quick recovery

10/20/2009 07:53 PM
zipspain
zipspain  

Thank you so much for the reply! I am just torn with what route to go with! Thanks again!!

10/20/2009 08:26 PM
decembergal
decembergal  

My husband and sister both had a picc line. They both did well with them. From what I hear it is easier to shower with the pic line. You can use press and seal to cover the picc line on your arm. I don't know how you would cover it if it was in the chest.

My sister had hers in for 5 months and my husbands has been in for 4 months so far.

Hope this helps.

10/21/2009 01:54 PM
KelloggsM
KelloggsM  

I'd go with a PICC line if I were you. I had one for about 5 months and had minimal problems with it, no infection. I got a shower cover for it which worked well, there's a thread on it here that I posted. I don't think you're really able to shower with Ports. But if you need full use of your arms, you might consider the Port a better option.

10/21/2009 03:33 PM
Jenn56
Jenn56  

HEY I ALSO HAD A PICC FOR 4 MONTHS,NO PROBLEMS,EVEN LEARNED TO CLEAN IT MY SELF,,I WOULD GO WIT A PICC,,GOOD LUCK

10/21/2009 05:38 PM
Ramilin
Ramilin  

I have a picc, I can't speak of a port. I've had mine since March 2nd, 2009.. and yes, it is now almost November and it's the same line. I've not had any clots or infections. I use a shower cover from CVS that costs 4.99 and works just as well and less of a hassle then the saran wrap idea. I think both have their pro's..I would talk to your doctor more about each to see what he thinks.

10/21/2009 08:03 PM
zipspain
zipspain  

Thank you everyone for your posts! I appreciate it! I have spoke with several other doctor friends on mine to get their opinions as well! I still haven't decided as they each have pros and cons. My drs figures it will be in for a couple years so we will see! Thanks again!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved