MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/30/2009 07:04 AM

Low dose cortef?

FSUfan
FSUfanPosts: 156

One of my doctors suggested I might try low dose cortef for the adrenals. He says a low dose wouldn't interfere with/make the lyme worse. I know steroids are a big no no. Any thoughts?

09/30/2009 07:59 AM
TJC
TJC  

I just started about a week or two ago (5mg at 6am and 5mg at 2pm) it has worked wonders! I wouldn't say I'm back to "normal" by any means, but I've gone from needing about 12 hours of sleep a night to 8 or 9 a night and feel so much more energetic and less foggy throughout the day. There is also a natural version, but my dr (who is a naturopath) said that oddly enough it is easier to regulate the dosage with the cortef. I tend to get side effects from everything which is why I tend to go natural but luckily enough I don't seem to be getting any side effects (knock on wood). Best of luck!

09/30/2009 08:16 AM
FSUfan

Wow, that's wonderful!! Thank-you so much for your input. Hope you continue to feel better! Makes me want to try it. Smile

09/30/2009 08:21 AM
TJC
TJC  

Well, like anything that we have to try, sometimes it works well for your body and sometimes not. I know for me this has been a bit of a blessing, I just didn't have time to sleep that much! Now if I could only get back to "normal" (which is 4-6 hours a night) then I'd be really happy! Any improvement is good though, you know?

09/30/2009 08:34 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

IDK - just be sure to know all that you can about it...

check out the wikipedia link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortef

09/30/2009 08:40 AM
TJC
TJC  

Yeah, the side effect list is scary. CMANY, I talked to my dr about the adrenal stuff you are taking and she had said it was harder to regulate the dose than cortef was which I found strange (especially coming from a naturopath). But who knows?!?! FSUfan, you may want to try the thing Christine is taking (which right now I can't remember the name...sorry!)

09/30/2009 09:10 AM
FSUfan

Thanks. I'm taking Nutrimedix adrenal support drops but I'm still tired as ever. I also started nutritional IV's once a week. I've done two so far but I can't tell they are helping. The fatigue is frustrating. There has got to be something to help with this fatigue. It's my biggest issue.

09/30/2009 09:19 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I am taking Adrenal Cortex by Nutricology which is a highly reputable company...

I take 1 a day - and have had very very busy days - and I am able to keep going...I take it in the afternoon usually and it helps so much...

It can be purchased through www.vitacost.com - their prices are really good...

06/05/2010 07:39 AM
Shri

Hi,

Did you end up taking the Cortef? My adrenal function has continued to decline over the last year and a half and now my Dr is also suggesting Cortef. I have been only treating with natural therapies, so this is a challenge for me to go on a steroid, all be it, a bioidentical one.

I am concerned that my adrenals will not recover if I take this, but he says it will give them a break and it is more likely they will recover. But it scares me when I hear you need to taper down slowly when getting off of Cortef.

I was taking adrenal glandulars and herbs but did not see an improvement, although it has been a very stressful time in my life.

What are others experience with this? I would only want to take for a short time in hopes of getting entirely off of it, and restore my adrenal function.

Shri

06/05/2010 09:59 AM
billk1018

In addition to Lyme, I have secondary Addisons. I was born with Solitary Median Maxillary Central Incisor Syndrome (SMMCI) and Choanal Atresia, so I have a host of pituitary issues.

Addisons is adrenal insufficiency. Primary is when your adrenals just can't produce enough cortisol. Secondary is when your pituitary doesn't secrete enough ACTH to stimulate the addrenals to secrete cortisol.

15 mg of cortef is considered a physiological dose, meaning it's no higher than what your body would produce if it could. That low a dose has no effect on the immune system.

Remember prednisone is 4 times stronger than cortef and it's long lasting. Cortef is out of you quickly. I wouldn't recommend anyone with Lyme ever taking Prednisone.

I take 10mg cortef per day. 5 the second I wake up, I leave it on the nightstand with a glass of water and take it before I even get out of bed. I take 2.5 at lunch time with food, and 2.5 with dinner.

The morning dose I take on an empty stomache to get the boost. I take the other doses with food because it smooths out the highs and lows.

You'll know you're taking too much if you can't stop eating and you start retaining water. Remember taking supplements that boost your adrenal output will only work if they are capable of producing more.

In the case of adrenal exhaustion, sometimes taking some cortef for a while lets your adrenals rest and recover. But you have to wean down very, very slowly. I've been as high as 25mg per day, and I wean 1.25mg per month.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved