MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/15/2009 05:37 PM

Weight loss and extreme fatigue

Puggles

Hey all I was recently got diagnosed with Lyme disease after feeling weird symptoms for a long time. I'm glad I found this forum to talk to others with Lyme.

beginning this year I started to hit the gym pretty hard doing 1-2.5 hours 3-5 times a week along with karate. I was 19 years old weighed 168 and was skinny but felt real good as I was starting to get compliments.

around spring time was when I started to feel odd. in a nut shell I dropped 22-25 pounds, couldn't lift what I could lift, nor do it as long as I could. I could barely do my punching/kicking/set drills without tiring out completely and got tired within 20 minutes of class. at first I thought it was the cigarettes and my diet but I was still concerned. I increased my diet but that didn't help. now I'm 20 years old skinny as hell and have a gut.

my question is how long will it take before I get better, and can continue my old workout routines? and if anyone can relate to this issue

thanks for your time

P.S

I just started my meds today

Post edited by: Puggles, at: 09/15/2009 05:39 PM

09/15/2009 05:57 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Hi and Welcome

That all depends on when you were infected and how long you went undiagnosed. Try to be patient.Its going to take time. You need to work on building up your immune system. There is lots of great info. You can search the site by typing in a keyword in the search bar at the top right. Also check out the facts forum.

09/15/2009 06:47 PM
Puggles

Thanks toothfairy55

I do feel fortunate that it was diagnosed as soon as it was. Lol I'm going to be using the search bar all night haha

09/15/2009 06:47 PM
Puggles

Sorry double post.

Post edited by: Puggles, at: 09/15/2009 06:49 PM

09/15/2009 07:41 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

I know the feeling. Most nights I dont make the bed before 12:30. I have to be up at 7 so it isnt enough sleep. Use the keyword excercise and see what you get. There were a few guys who wanted to be able to get back in the gym. (u guys are so impatient LOL) Good luck and dont stay up so late

If your not seeing an LLMD you might want to consider it. 30 days is not enough even for new infection

Carol

Post edited by: toothfairy55, at: 09/15/2009 07:44 PM

09/16/2009 10:59 AM
Puggles

I want to assume that I got my Lymes when I started to experience my weight loss and fatigue. It was around spring time (go figure) when I started to loss weight. it got so bad that around the end of july I weighed 145 Lb when I was 160-168 between feb - april. this drop in weight is odd because I had very little body fat to shred, and I didn't decrease my diet at all.

I couldn't do my ab workouts nearly as long (i workout a muscle group and end with a core workout), I forced myself to not leave the gym, but that prolly hurt me in the long run. my muscle tone slowly dissapeared. and just recently I have lost a good amount of girth around my arms and legs. I have pencil arms and legs, and I cant STAND looking in the mirror now knowing what I used to be 3-5 mounths ago. and now that I have a gut it makes me look like I've been in a POW camp. not to mention my face has gotten gaunty and pale (prolly from stress and depression).

I've never been comfortable with my body. being borderline obese in highschool. when I hit the gym I finally started to look and feel good. now I lost it all and I'm back to being uncomfortable except this time I'm to skinny. I let it effect me so much that I avoided communication with a girl that like and flirted me. I didn't feel confident or comfortable around her being so damn skinny. the comments people made went from "hey you look good" to "DO you know what EATING is!!" literally.

anyway I'm done ranting. I'm going to see an infectious disease doc sept 30th to further analyze my situation. I was given doxy from my local doc as "taking dox now will help as we know you have lyme".

I just want to be able to be confident about my body, as I'm letting it depress and get the better part of me!! I dont even need the muscle that I lost back, I just want to gain overall weight around my whole body! any advise is well aprreciated.

thanks for letting me rant I needed to do that Cool

09/16/2009 06:44 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Thats what we are here for. To listen to the rants and the good reports. Im sure you will be telling me soon that your on the mend and putting weight back on. Just be patient it sometimes takes a while, but I know you will get there.

As for the ID doc. Not all of them subscribe to the ILADS protochol. As a matter of fact most dont. So if you get the run around about 30 days and your good, dont believe it and let us help you find a LLMD. Im rooting for you !!!!

Carol

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved