MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/16/2009 04:34 AM

Lyme disease and breast cancer?

Tealady

Hi guy! Wed. this past week I started experiencing pain in my left breast the side my PICC line is on. A friend who is a surgeon has been taking care of me so he wanted to see me right away worried about a blood clot. Well I did have an infection in my breast but he also felt something else and I could tell he was concerned. He did an Ultra sound in his office and found a lump in my breast/lymph area. So he sent me to the hospital that night and then this coming week I am having a mammogram done. I have read that there is a higher incidence of cancer in patients who are immuno compromised is this true of Lyme disease and a cancer link. Being emotionally prepared is always better for me than surprises so any info would be greatly appreaciated. Love to you all who are my lifesavers.

08/17/2009 05:24 AM
lydian
lydian  

I sure hope not. I just had a scare with a few lumps found in my left breast. Although I wouldn't be surprised, with having a compromised immune system the list is quite long on what you will be more prone to come down with. My doc began listing all the things I will have to contend with and the higher percentages of my contracting these illnesses. I chose not to focus on what may happen but to enjoy the here and now of my life. As Wayne Dyer stated, "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal. Live this day as if it were your last. The past is over and gone. The future is not guaranteed."

I wish you all the best. Lydia

08/17/2009 06:25 AM
stunned123

I have not heard of a direct link. Where did he find the lump? Was it in the area of the lymph nodes? If you have an active infection in the breast, I would venture to say it could be an enlarged lymph node. Do you have a history of breast cancer in your family? I will be thinking of you.

08/17/2009 09:54 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

OK -

There are links to the HHV viruses that can cause certain types of lymphoma's - which reactivated HHV viruses are VERY common for us Lymies...

Also, bacterial infections that cause inflammation of the lymph nodes are also a suspected cause - which Lyme is known for causing these issues too...

And in general - being that Lyme & Co, suppress the immune system so well - it does make us more susceptible to cancers and other ailments as well...

I sure hope that this works out to be a false alarm...

You have got to work on boosting that immune system...

Hang in there

Christine

08/17/2009 06:35 PM
Tealady

Thank you for commenting

08/17/2009 06:39 PM
Tealady

How do we get our immune systems stronger? I'm TRYING to decent but somedays I don't feel like eating all. Are there specific things your doing? I am doing the no sugar and no flour thing. Watching all my carbs, trying to get enough protein in. I eat alot of cheese because sometimes other meats just don't intentrest me. Drink lots of milk. I'd take any suggestions of things I'm missing. I also take all the supplements I'm supposed to and drink probiotics and take them.

08/17/2009 08:55 PM
lydian
lydian  

Thanks Christine. I will definitely keep an eye on these lumps now even more closely. They were benign but now I also know about this concern.

Lydia

08/18/2009 04:14 AM
Tealady

My doctor is praying that it is an infection. He is treating it like an infection but still is concerned(unfortunetly I know him personally so I can read his face)the lump is in an ancillary sp?? lympth node and he doesn't like the look of it. So until I get a mammagram which seems like forever and go from there...who knows. I have to honestly tell you I'm not toally freaked. After all I've been through I know it is nothing I can control and only God can so I have to keep chugging away.

08/18/2009 07:50 AM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Lydia - you are most welcome...

Tealady...

You have to find a good balance - and eat more healing foods - especially fresh veggies...juicing is a great option...

Also - some of us need to be on specific Adrenal and Immune support products that are tailored to help those areas...

And sometimes the foods we love the most could be the ones standing in our way - if you eat a lot of cheese - as much as I love it myself - sometimes you have to back off of it a bit - I still eat it - but I keep nuts around...and that seems to fit the same urges - dont know why...but it does for me...

Whole food supplements are a good aid too...both the fruit and veggie sort and greens...

I do know of some people who have had stage 4 cancer - and turned it around with the help of fresh fruits and veggies - mega servings - some 15-20 a day - which is where a good whole food supplement comes in handy - most provide about half or a little more then half of that daily...

Christine

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved