MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/03/2009 08:08 PM

Lyme and bad breath?

vtmom

Hi,

Glad I found this group! Our 6 year old daughter was just diagnosed with Lyme. For the past few weeks, one of her symptoms has been bad breath. Is this something others have experienced?

Thanks,

Mandy in VT

08/03/2009 08:19 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

None that im aware of. However there are some other things that will cause children to have bad breath. My youngest daughter suffered with chronic ear infections and strep. throat. I always knew by the odor in her mouth that she had strep. Also mouth breathers have a tendency to get bad breath. See if she is breathing through her mouth or nose. Does she snore or drool on her pillow? These are signs that she breaths through her mouth. There are non alcohol mouthwashs that you can use if this is true. Also gels to apply on the gums to keep them moist.

Alot of Lyme sufferers complain of ear problems. This could also be an issue as is acid reflux.

Post edited by: toothfairy55, at: 08/03/2009 08:22 PM

08/03/2009 09:19 PM
sosotired

Sinus issues could cause this as well, which Lyme can cause. Is she on antibiotics? I know my niece used to always have horrible breath when she was on antibiotics. They were liquid because she was little and her tongue would get coated as she drank it down. I don't know if it was her tongue getting coated and the medicine lingering there, or if it was just the antibiotic causing the problem, but it was definitely related to her taking antibiotics.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved