MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/15/2009 12:19 PM

Where did the words go?

feellikecrud

Ok! Has anyone had a problem with words? your talking and all of a sudden you cant think of the word for something. a very simple word and you have lost it.

07/15/2009 12:33 PM
Bethy

Only every other sentence!! OMG! I was at the beach with my hubby last weekend... looking in at the carved decoys... looking at a Pelican and called it a penguin and couldn't remember the word for Pelican. Scary sometimes... I get to where I'll think really really hard before saying anything in case I get it wrong. Especially at work!

07/15/2009 03:08 PM
feellikecrud

Thank God!I could not think of the word spoon.Where do the words go to?Somewere between the brain and my mouth it got lost. Boy Im glad Im not alone in this, It is so weird.

07/15/2009 04:52 PM
angela4design

Not only is is a loss for words, but memory. After a long weekend, I came back into the office on Monday. I'm in charge of marketing for a large region; NH, VT and Mass, and I could not remember the names of any of the people I work with at any of my other offices! I actually had to write down the names of everyone I work with, so it wouldn't happen again! d'oh!

07/15/2009 06:57 PM
amethyst
amethyst  

This happens to me all the time! It's so frustrating!! Not to mention embarrassing when I try to remember a word for what feels like forever and when it finally comes to me, it turns out the word was something common like "wheel." Especially since I call myself a writer!

I found this website that's supposed to help when there's a word on the tip of your tongue. I haven't found it to be that helpful, since I'm never at the computer when the word-loss strikes, but maybe some of you will find it useful?

http://chir.ag/projects/tip-of-my-tongue/

07/15/2009 08:24 PM
sosotired

I lose words or refer to things wrong. Generally there is some correlation between the word I use and the actually name of something, and I usually realize I am wrong pretty quickly, but at that point I can never remember the correct word. It's probably rather difficult listening to me struggle through thoughts. People have begun filling in the blanks for me so that helps, lol.

One thing I have noticed I have been doing recently is utilizing a very extensive vocabulary. Has anyone else found this happening to them? Extraordinary words, many that didn't even know I knew have been flying out of my mouth. These words, I am using correctly, lol. The other day I said something about laundry being "soiled." Where in the world did I get soiled from. That is definitely not a word I have ever used to describe dirty clothes, so where did it come from. It's weird, lol.

07/15/2009 08:56 PM
feellikecrud

Sounds like we could have a nite of fill in the blanks.

07/16/2009 07:53 AM
TJC
TJC  

Yeah, like madlibs for the lymies! Happens to me all the time too!

07/16/2009 10:25 AM
Bethy

Oh yeah, it is so great when you work with someone for 7 years and can't even remember their name when they come to your desk. That was such a red flag to me on how bad my neuro lyme really is. It really is frightening --- especially since my strengths since I was a child was my extensive vocabulary and recall. ;0(

07/16/2009 11:06 AM
MamboMick
MamboMickPosts: 269

Wow, another great thread to remind me I'm not the only one experiencing a strange symptom.

Maybe, between all of us in this thred, we could come up with enough words to complete our sentences Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved