MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/10/2009 03:32 PM

Heavy Limbs

TJC
TJC  

For the last couple months I've been getting this weird sensation in my limbs periodically. Mostly my legs, but sometimes my arms too. They will feel really heavy and like if I don't move them immediately, I won't be able to or something. It isn't like weak limbs (which I also get a bit) but more like the feeling of when you go to the dentist for x-rays and they put that really heavy blanket on it. It is like my legs will feel like they are wrapped in one of those and need to move ASAP. I used to get it maybe once a week when I was going to bed, but now I'm getting it most of the day, everyday. I talked to my dr about it and she is a little unsure what it could be. She is going to give me some calmag and see if that helps at all as well as consult with another LLMD to see if he has ever heard of that. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, if anything worse comes after it and/or if anything seems to help it. Oddly enough, this is one of scariest symptoms I've had. It may be useful to mention that my left leg (knee actually) has given out on me on the stairs 4 times in the last few weeks. Not sure if it is related, but it might be! Thank you for any responses in advance!!!

07/13/2009 07:32 PM
KStuff
KStuff  

Yes, like you have limbs made of concrete? For me it's worst in the morning. I have to coax myself out of bed and hope that my arms and legs cooperate. In order to get diagnosed, I went to Columbia's Lyme Clinic. My doctor there was familiar with this symptom, but I didn't ask detailed questions. After 9 mons of IV antibiotics, this symptom is beginning to lift. IV doxy has been the most helpful.

07/14/2009 07:54 AM
TJC
TJC  

Hmmm, I've also been wondering if it is like RLS, I have to move stuff. So in addition to the heaviness it is like this ridiculous need to move it. Not sure if that is just a fear reaction type thing or what. It sounds like there is some hope for it going away. Thanks for the response KStuff!

07/15/2009 11:02 AM
kellis
kellis  

Hi again,

I saw this listed on your popular posts, and I know exactly what you are talking about! Also, I saw you had a question about herxing. I've been really sick for 1 1/2 years, and just started treatment in January (Biaxin - antibiotic and Plaquenil - immunosuppresant). Before treatment, I was sooooo tired, soooo weak, and had a horrible headache all the time. After starting treatment, everything got so much worse and I pretty much didn't get out of bed for 3 months (my doctor said this was the herx reaction). He said I could feel much better or much worse (herx) after starting treatment, so I guess everyone doesn't go through it. I also got a lot of new symptoms - heavy limbs, anxiety, irritability, lots of neurological problems, and my sense of smell, taste, sound, and touch all have become ultra-sensitive, too - it's so weird. For example, I like the taste of ketchup, but if I smell it I want to barf - ????

Anyway, about the heavy limbs - It has gotten better and less often now, but it can be really bad. My legs feel like they weigh about 1000 lbs, and just lifting them to walk and put one foot in front of the other is a challenge. Also, stairs are really hard for me. My knees are so stiff, and it's like my legs just don't know how to bend the right way to get up the stairs or something - and they weigh 1000 pounds! My arms are weird, too. It feels like I've done 100 push ups, and I'm to the point of complete exhaustion where I just can't do one more push-up, even though I've done nothing strenuous. It's so weird, but you're definitely not alone. It's a scary feeling.

07/16/2009 07:21 AM
TJC
TJC  

Kellis, I totally hear you on the smell/taste thing too! Things I used to love I can't stand now and vice versa. Salt...always hated salty things (I know, I'm weird) now...I can't get enough of it! Corn nuts are my favorite food these days! Black pepper...used to love it. Now it smells and tastes like bad meat. Totally bizzarre! I know we will just have to work through it all...everything happens for a reason, even if we never get to know what that reason is!

07/16/2009 07:59 AM
kellis
kellis  

It's so nice to hear someone else has this weird symptom - I was afraid to tell my doctor - I thought he would think I was crazy! He actually agreed that it is a symptom of Lyme, though - so weird. Foods I used to love, I hate now and vice versa for me, too! I've actually lost a lot of weight because of it (not on purpose). Sometimes, I just can't find anything that is remotely appealling to eat, and would just rather not - it's terrible! Sometimes, I'll get some food at the store and then the next day, it's all gross to me. It's so annoying! Oh well, hopefully, this too shall pass...

07/16/2009 08:47 AM
TJC
TJC  

I hope so for all of our sakes! I really hate meat these days, which truly sucks because that is one of the few things I'm allowed to eat! Plus I know I need protien, but what are you going to do? It is certainly one of the many annoying things about this disease.

07/30/2009 06:55 AM
kamwhe

Hi.I am new to this forum. I began reading your posts on heavy limbs. I was diagnosed with Lyme 2 months ago after a year of trying to figure out what was going on with me. My PC DR. referred me to a great Dr. who specializes in CFC and Lyme's disease. Once diagnosed she started me on Doxy. This week I have started feeling funny. A little dizzy and my legs felt extremely heavy. It was hard to move them and this happen in the middle of me walking across the room at work. This week I have also been feeling nauseous. I also have started feeling this way after smelling various things. Usually I can't smell a thing because of chronic sinus/allergies. But this week smells of foods/perfumes have me feeling sick. And it has been hard to find something to eat that appeal to me (this is not so bad as I need to lose some weight) Smile Last night while sleeping I felt tingling in my leg and foot--like you feel when they go to sleep. When I got up to move around it felt very numb. It took a few minutes before my leg felt normal. This was very scary.

I put a call in to my DR. this morning. But your posts has really helped me. I was getting very scared. At least I know it is part of the Lymes.

Post edited by: kamwhe, at: 07/30/2009 07:03 AM

Post edited by: kamwhe, at: 07/30/2009 07:04 AM

07/30/2009 07:12 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Welcome to the group. look around and dont forget the activism room. We always need help in getting our message out there.

Carol

08/01/2009 03:16 PM
kellis
kellis  

Hello and Welcome!

I was diagnosed with Lyme about 7 months ago (after years of searching). Since starting treatment, so many weird and scary symptoms have arised - like the heavy legs, stair trouble, and finding it very hard to find anything appealing to eat. It's so frustrating! Oh well, this forum is great - it's nice to know we are not alone with all of these crazy scary symptoms!

Take care,

: )

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved