MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/09/2007 05:29 PM

Will I pass it on to my baby?

CindY
CindY  

It's been eight months since I've been diagnosed and I'm still in the process of gathering data about the disease, trying to understand what I have to do...

Still haven't spoken to my doctor about it (perhaps mostly out of fear to hear the bad news), but I've spoken to my husband a lot... We'd like a baby. We very much want (at least) a child. Considering my condition (sometimes I get very ill, unable to perform the simplest chores, but I have my better moments also), and, most importantly, the chance of passing it on to my baby, what are my options, what should I do? Taking the chance of bringing a sick child into this world, being very sick myself... Or even if the baby's healthy, will I be able to fulfill my duties as a mother, will I be a fit parent, or is this too big a responsibility in my current state?

One moment I tell myself that a baby will give me the strength to go on, will give me the motivation and the impulse I need, that I'm strong and I can do this, that I shouldn't let the disease take over my life... and the next moment I feel so weak, so sick, so unable, so debilitated, and I feel I can't cope with the burden of taking care of somebody else, when I'm barely able to care for my own self. One moment I'm angry, furious and depressed, and a moment later I'm optimistic and resigned.

I'd like to meet people that have been through this, or that have helped their close ones through something similar. And maybe there's somebody here who had had a baby after getting infected. I'd appreciate any input.

Excuse the incoherence, I took this also as a chance to clear and order my thoughts and feelings, and putting them in writing proved not to be such an easy task...

Thank you anyway for reading.

Cindy

02/09/2007 05:59 PM
mikescetz

I don't think you can pass the disease on to your child. I forget if I read that online or if my doctor told me, but also look into it more on your own. I'd be concerned with if you are on medication and carrying a child.

02/09/2007 06:28 PM
CindY
CindY  

Thank you, Mikescetz, it feels great to be listened to...

I am looking into it myself, but I'm just at the beginning of my research.

I am on medication, and that's another concern of mine, of course.

It really feels good to meet people that understand what this disease is about, makes me feel less lonely (I feel a little ingrate saying this, since I do have great support from my family, but it's how I feel).

03/22/2007 02:44 PM
Linnie
Linnie  

Cindy,

YES, Lyme does pass on to the baby. When my ministers wife was pregnant while having Lyme, she wore a pump on her shoulder, resting on her belly 20 hrs a day. Penicillin was the IV antibiotics used. She would say, "My baby's first words are going to be, tick tick tick, the sound of the machine." Now her baby has Lyme. I am sorry to tell you this, but if you do some basic research, you'll find it. My BIBLE when it comes to Lyme is a book written by Denise Lang and Dr. Kennith Liegner, Coping with Lyme disease, A Pratical guide to Dealing with Diagnosis and Treatment. Third Edition, updated. She is a mother and due to her experiences with her children she has written and updated her book. I read her first book in 1995. It even has a chapter in it about pregnancy. Being now 42 and not married, I refused to bring a child into the world sick. So, I had my tubs tied. My "anniversary" if you will was 1/4/2007, beginning my 12th year. I was three months into my 30's when symptoms began. Just shy of working for Honeywell International 14 yrs, had a middle management job by working my way up the ladder. May I add, by merit ONLY!!! Started as a young secretary before I was even of drinking age. Financially independent and in a nice apartment in a nice area. Did I want to give this all up? NOPE! I fought to stay working for two years against my dr's wishes. I was working full time and going to school to FINALLY finish my degree. I do not know HOW I did all of that. Happily I may add. Now I am lucky if I can shower without it hurting.

Sorry, I wish I had better news. Check that book out if you are interested. I usually go to Barnes & Noble on line and look up a book I may want/need in the used/no longer published books. Most of the time I have received a brand new book due to their particular store overstocking. My copy of the third edition I purchased for less than $7.00 because it has a black dot on it. Big deal, but I got the deal. The book new indicates $15.00. I pray for you and hope all comes out alright.

Gentle Hugs,

05/18/2007 04:43 PM
lymebytes
lymebytes  

Sorry to say this...but it is very likely that LD can pass through the placenta through the cord blood to the baby. I believe that I had LD before my son was born and passed it to him. He is not actively infected (sick). It doesn't mean you child will have a lifetime of illness or sickness. My son is healthy as can be.

Watch this video - it is a clip form a LD documentary coming out (hopefully this year) Please note these are extreme LD cases, but listen to the (several) moms who beleived they passed LD to their children are interviewed: http://www.lymediseasefilm.com/

07/07/2007 03:45 PM
justdon

YES, you can give lyme to unborn children. There are abx you can take IF you are pregnant and it will HELP!!

My concern is a healthy baby is a load for any healthy mom,,,let alone a real sick one.

(I just talked to my daughter last night,,,you think the terrible 2's are bad wait till they get to the impossible 3's)

IF it were me I would 'wait' till you are in remission at least,,,then ask your LLMD.

"I" would feel tons of guilt 'knowing' I brought a child into this world at 'risk'!!

Good luck and I sure do HOPE you can have a healthy baby with a healthy mom to go with. Hurry up your treatment as soon as possible that you can live your dream!!!--just don--

09/28/2007 06:50 PM
deputy643
deputy643  

Hello,

Being an advocate, I work will several families, who are all positive for Lyme disease. This includes Mother's who have LD and give birth. The child can test positive. Ask your doctor about the latest research.

Take care,

Leslie

05/01/2008 10:27 PM
mammabear

Yes, you can pass lyme to your baby. I recently discovered that I have Lyme and passed it to my baby either through pregnancy or breastfeeding. Luckily, he is only 15 months and not showing symptoms so hopefully we caught it in time. He started abx treatment 4 days ago. Please talk to your Lyme doctor about this. I would love to have another baby some day, but fear that I would pass Lyme to another child. I'd like to hear what advice your doctor gives you on this topic. I do know that you can be on amoxicillin during pregnancy to help protect the baby. I don't know if this is full-proof or not, though.

Good luck to you,

mammabear

06/18/2013 08:29 AM
Ryder1

Yes, I am living proof I passes it on to my 21 month old boy at birth. Was told from many drs. That it does not and also that breastfeeding is safe. All bad advice. Now I'm am still sick with Lyme and my boy has the antibodies from me. Now I'm am in argument with many drs. He has it and also has antibodies. Some drs. Say just antibodies. So now what do I do stop breastfeeding and get him retested. Or just treat him with me and don't take drs. Advice wait till his get symptoms. Seems so Wrong. Anyone in same situation please help. Also, anyone who has or been treated while pregnant with 3 special antibiotics during pregnancy have a baby and didn't pass it on due to treat,ent while pregnant. Any advice please !!

06/18/2013 08:32 AM
Ryder1

Any advice I'm in same situation as you. I was told not to treat until baby has symptoms and maybe he just has antibodies. So ad why wait till a sick baby. My boy looks healthy at 21 months but that doesn't mean anything . Will you have another baby and get antibiotic treatments while pregnant. I would love to have another baby but scared as well antibiotics aren't 100 percent?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved