MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/28/2009 11:13 AM

Has anyone taken Bactrim for Lyme?

alitums
alitums  

Ok, so I went to get my test results back from my doctor yesterday... negative for lupus, negative for hepatitis, negative for bart, positive for lyme (which i've known about for 1 1/2yrs), "slightly" positive for ehrlichiosis, anddddd positive for mono. No wonder why I've been soooo tired.. Lyme AND Mono!?!?

So he prescribed me with 1 month of Bactrim. The actual named on the prescription says SMZ/TMP DS 800-600 (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimpethoprim).. I'm pretty sure this is Bactrim DS, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find much information about the effects of this drug on Lyme. Has anyone used this?? Ermm

05/28/2009 12:23 PM
steelers

yes that particular antibiotic almost killed me. It is a sulfur based antibiotic that I took because I came in contact with an individual that I arrested that had mersa so as a precaution I was told to take that antibiotic. PM ME AND Ill give you all of the side effects.

Steelers

05/28/2009 12:32 PM
KStuff
KStuff  

Yes, although I didn't know it was lyme at the time. Within a few hours of taking it, I had trouble breathing, numbness in my arms and legs, difficulty walking, couldn't remember simple facts. Also, a purple fishnet rash appeared on my legs and my heart started racing. Ended up in the ER twice, thinking I was having a stroke. Nope. Just a herx reaction. I'm not trying to scare you, just wanted you to know what a Bactrim herx can look like. I'm not allergic to sulfer, so this definately was a herx reaction. I hear that it can be effective for lyme and bartonella.

05/28/2009 07:46 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

steelers,

I had to laugh... The side effects are sooo bad you didnt want to post!!!Im allergic to sulfa also. Makes me catatonic

Thanks for the giggle, I needed it

05/29/2009 06:35 AM
alitums
alitums  

Ahhhhhh everyone is scaring me hahahaha. I find it a little creepy that I can't find much (or any) info about bactrim being used to treat lyme. I found a couple articles about it being used for bart but nothing about lyme. I hope my doctor knows what he's doing!! Its my 2nd day on it..I feel pretty much the same as I have.. Exhausted (being that I have lyme AND mono..now there's a combo!), headache, dizzy/nauseous..basic stuff. Last night I was laying in bed and sorta felt like I was having an out of body experience..really weak.. can't really explain it. Well, I hope this works!

03/24/2010 10:57 PM
flowbeam
flowbeam  

I just started Bactrim last Monday, and I have noticed breathlessness.

Is this a side effect. I think I am going to stop taking it. I will call my doc tomorrow, but after doing some research I am a little freaked out about this drug's side effects.

I am glad I did my own research.

Does anyone have any additional info. or experience they would like to share.

Thanks for reading

03/24/2010 11:17 PM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

I was on bactrim and almost died 3 years ago. I was hospitalized with extreme liver pain and fainting. I also had a cellulitis infection in my leg at the time that the bactrim did not touch.

I found out I was allergic to sulfa while in the hospital. They also used a sulfur cream on my cellulitis infection and I broke out in HUGE baseball sized boils that took several weeks to stop draining AFTER I got out of the hospital.

I have refused meds since then that aren't even sulfur based but have had just a sulfur molecule in it...The docs think I'm crazy but I do NOT care....I had such a terrible experience and was told it was almost fatal for me...So I will not take any chances!

By the way, if you have sulfur allergies and find that rubber/latex etc....also causes allergic reactions for you then keep in mind that latex is vulcanized in SULFUR....so even the nitril gloves could break you out/give you an allergic reaction to the sulfur residue left on them.

03/25/2010 01:55 AM
Bettyg

VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

flowbeam, have you been to medlineplus.org ??

it's nih's medical library

go to meds, and type in med or use A-Z directory to find what you need.

it's user-friendly; great info there.

tar, how horrible! hope you are WEARING A MEDICAL ALERT BRACELET/NECKLACE about your allergy to this!! if not, get one ASAP and have nything else on it you need to: allergies, diabetes, chemical smells, etc.

NOT LYME...paramedics don't care about this they told me personally.

03/25/2010 07:23 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Thanks for the tip Betty. I admit I have thought hard about getting a medic alert bracelet. I don't know if there'd be room enough for all of the allergies though LOL..I have to laugh about it so I don't cry.

Seriously though I would love to know where to buy one.

03/25/2010 07:52 AM
lymelissa
lymelissa  

Hey Tara, I actually just started Bactrim last night. One month of doxy then he just added bactrim to it. Ill let you know how it goes.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved