MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/16/2009 10:42 AM

Florida Lyme Sufferers(page 2)

jbnpcfl
jbnpcfl  

Florida is becoming an "incubator" for lyme and co-infections...I would add parts of GA and AL to that list also. Geography should not be a major part of any doctor's clincal diagnostic process. Let's all pray, somebody discovers a definitive lab test for both diagnosis and treatment evaluations. check out www.lifelyme.org and Dr Clark's research.

12/04/2009 01:06 PM
LymeNFlorida

I was just diagnosed, am learning a lot, I am very interested in helping any way I can with this!

I would think that because Lyme is so prevelant in NY, that becasue of the high numbers of NYers in FL (at least SoFla where I live Smile that that would have an affect on increase in the # Lyme cases in Florida? I know a lot of people who visit the NE back and forth from FL a LOT. If they get the Lyme in NY/the NE but are treated in FL, is it reported as a "Florida" case??

- Christine

12/04/2009 01:23 PM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Lets not forget all those transplants that are infected are actually bringing into Florida and possibly spreading it by getting bitten by mesquitos and fleas...therefore those vectors could be spreading to animals and ticks and other people and on and on and on...

If someone with lyme sneezes in the vicinity of someone's plate of food...I wonder if it could be spread that way as well...I've heard that people who have low immune systems have been known to contract lyme from mesquito bites....

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

I know I do not let my children drink after me...and I am very hesitant to let them kiss me on the lips.. Sad Very sad but I am so afraid if they DO NOT have it yet that I might still infect them...But honestly I suspect they already have it.

12/04/2009 03:46 PM
happymom3

i'm not from florida-i'm from ny-but i just want to wish you luck. jbnpcfl (jimmy)- that is my goal too. my daughter had it, i have it, my father is very sick from lyme /babesiosa (ended up in icu hallucinating/delirious/103 fever),my sister i think has it. also 4 relatives on my husbands side (sil was diangosed with fibro for 9 years and was very sick and finally diagnosed with lyme and is now doing very well) I feel it is my mission to educate others so maybe someone will not have to suffer like we all have- my daughter had to come home from college and it devestated her life-i will do whatever it takes to help others

12/04/2009 04:57 PM
lymebuster

I have been in touch with the State of Florida Epidemiologist and now know that Florida is endemic for Lyme Disease. We all need to let our County and State Epidemiologists know that we have tested positive. This way we will have some accurate numbers.

10/10/2010 01:24 AM
ariana
ariana  

I'm in Naples I would love whatever info you have . I too have been told you cant get

lyme in Fl so over this response I just giggle! Pm me any info please especially doctors

10/10/2010 06:19 AM
lymebuster

Hi Ariana

Please give me a call. whenever it is convenient. I am sorry to hear you have lyme but you will get better. Hugs, Dolores I have pm my phone number

Post edited by: lymebuster, at: 10/10/2010 11:53 AM

10/10/2010 08:22 AM
neska

i realize this is an old post. but to answer this question. i rec'd a call one morning from the (florida) county health department asking questions about my lyme test. i was a bit confused as to why she was calling me but i answered her questions. i asked how she found me and she said that the pennsylvania county (where i had the positive lyme test)contacted the state of penn health department and they contact the state of florida health department and they contacted my county. i was quite impressed to say the least! i did not realize this was a reportable disease. so as i answered many questions and told my story, she then says that since i was seen by a physician's assistant, a PA, that she would not acknowledge this disease. she then told me i should go and get a western blot test. which i did. and since i do have lyme disease which also gives me Lyme Brain...i forgot to question her as to why I was even called. I DID NOT GET BIT IN FLORIDA, I GOT BIT IN PENNSYLVANIA. so why would i even be considered a candidate to be a count, a number.....now the bigger question is.....WHY ARE THEY EVEN KEEPING COUNT IF THEY DON'T EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE LYME DISEASE! WHY EVEN CARE TO BE ON THAT LIST?

NOW i am thinking....(i am a bit slow with this lyme brain of mine).....since i did get a western blot test in florida....i bet florida finally put me as a count. now that should NOT be...because i DID NOT get bit by a tick in florida. now that would just throw off the actual florida numbers. something has to be done with their counting system i would say......

Post edited by: neska, at: 10/10/2010 08:26 AM

10/10/2010 08:41 AM
lymebuster

Hi Neska,

Each state will have this problem because we are so mobile.. I think that we must report in the State in which we live when we test positive for lyme disease. That probably makes the most sense. Many of us can not discern where and how long ago we were bitten or re-bitten. Some people here in FL know that they were bitten here and saw the bulls eye rash and had symptoms and have a positive test. How about if you were bitten in Europe, where should you send your results ? I don't think it matters because each state has lyme and we need the numbers to accurately know how many people in the US have tick borne illnesses. I too was called by the county epidemiologist in the adjacent county and the results were not even sent to the right county. Reporting does not happen, at least here in FL... Quest and Lab. Corp with CDC positive results for Borrelia and co-infections DO NOT SEND THEM TO THE EPIDEMIOLOGISTS so any numbers we have are useless. Regards, Dolores

10/10/2010 01:19 PM
neska

lymebuster. my first discussion was a story based on me. i was telling MY story.

Now in reply to your message. i understand we are mobile especially here in florida! it is a very transient state and because of that our numbers are probably are not correct. i agree that most people are not aware of when and where they got bit. i do know where i got bit. according to your second sentace, you think i should be counted here in florida since i live here. i disagree with that. the tick that bit me was from penna. i got sick there. i had the test there. now i believe that hawaii is the only state that does not have one lyme disease there. now i would think that if i got a test there and i showed positive, you would see a cdc count as 1. if i got bit in europe, the cdc should not care about that test! i did not get bit in the united states. it should be applied to the town i had the test at. i am not sure how one gets on the list. i would think the lab would send results to the cdc and i am sure that is how it got to the state/cdc because the doctor i went to did not believe the test. now you bring up another point that i did not know. i am always learning something about lyme. the epidemiologist. do they have a list? and what does this list represent? does the cdc send this info to the epidemiologist? very interesting.....for sure...p.s. i was called from the county health department....is that the same thing (county epidemiologist)?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved