MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/16/2009 10:57 AM

Penicillin for Teeth b4 official treatment

ALymeLife
ALymeLife  

So my four wisdom teeth are jutting through my gum's and inflamed my whole mouth terribly. Anyway, after three days of it becoming progressively worse I wound up at the ER last night. I was then given 15 days worth of penicillin 4x daily & and 15 days of percocet. My question is will this antibiotic regimen cause a flare up of symptoms ? I'm currently in the midst of finals and that would not be the best.....thanks Smile

05/16/2009 06:56 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

It is possible that it could...

However, if you dont, you stand to cause an infection that could take several months to take care of - if it can be managed...

You should take it...tooth and jaw infections can be an enormous nightmare if it goes untreated = and if you have the chance to do so early on...you could really save yourself some awful pain and lots of dentist visits...

Make sure you detox ALOT = lots of water - detox teas...vit c will help...

Dont compound the problem...it is NOT fun...

05/17/2009 05:10 AM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Im guessing that they want the 4 wisdom teeth taken out. Take the abx as this is going to control infection. Rinse daily (often) with equal portions of water and Salt or water and peroxide. they make peroxyl (over the counter) and keep it clean.

some oral surgeons recommend prednisone before extraction. This you DONT want to take as a Lyme pt. Its to control swelling. Use ice instead and lots of it.

05/17/2009 09:13 AM
SarRob
SarRob  

Definitely take the penicillin, you do NOT want your wisdom teeth getting infected!!! When you get them out, make sure you clean the holes realllllly well, my surgeon gave me a syringe so that i could easily squirt water back there and it helped A LOT!!!!!

I don't want to give you false hope, but I had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth out a few years ago and I honestly went out the night of my surgery and I didn't need any pain killers after the first day..so hopefully yours will be fine!!! Good luck with everything!! Smile

05/17/2009 04:50 PM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Hi Alymelife,

Im a hygienist. Good advise from SarRob. If you dont have a syringe the peroxide bubbles with swishing.I had my top two out and a half hour later I was having pizza and shopping in the mall. The others I had done at lunchtime and went back to work. Not everyone does that well but even the worse senario is 1 day of pain, IMPORTANT... do NOT swish, rinse, drink thru a straw or do anything that creates suction ( this includes smoking). You can dislodge blood clot and then you end up with a dry socket and that HURTS

05/17/2009 09:13 PM
cmany
cmany  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

i had to go to the hospital to have mine out...2 of them turned and were pretty impacted...

but recovery was pretty easy...from what I can recall...

all good advise...

05/18/2009 12:17 AM
ALymeLife
ALymeLife  

Thanks guys. I've been taking the penicillin no real issues as of late. I was supposed to have my teeth out months ago but alas could not make it home in time for the appointment. I'll be making an emergency appointment with a dentist around school tomorrow to get things straightened out. As of now they (the teeth) have royally messed with my mouth.

Thanks again. Smile

05/18/2009 04:21 AM
toothfairy55
toothfairy55  

Your welcome Just make sure you take care of them. Murphys law always applies.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved